Tips for cleaning a smelly deep freezer??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    So I've got an upright deep freezer that at some point got some rotten meat in it, likely due to an extended power outage, and it has a smell.

I've cleaned it out, scrubbed it, and repeatedly bleached it and still can't get the smell completely out. I thought I had it pretty good, let it air out for a couple of weeks, and then plugged it in this past Sunday. Tonight I opened it up for the first time and it still has a smell. I've got it 90% better but not good enough that I trust putting the 1/4 beef I just bought into it.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help get the smell out. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

thanks!
    Clay

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ozone?

That is known to kill odors. Maybe stick an ozone generator in it for a couple days?

I just ordered a boot dryer with ozone option to see if that helps with my stinky boots and shoes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You might try a few applications of mint flavored Listerine. I've used that and toothpaste to overpower the smell of fish in coolers.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've had luck (on several cleaning projects) with a product from GFS called Array Bacterial Odor and Grease Digestant. It's basically eats up the odor source.

Just don't spill it on your carpet.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Get some chlorine tablets for a pool and put a couple in the freezer. It acts like baking soda on steroids. Use a couple cool whip or other containers to keep them off of the coils. One big or several small tablets per container. Change them weekly for a few weeks and you should notice a big, if not total difference in the smell.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    awesome! thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to try some and see what works, if any.

if nothing works I'll try the tannerite option ;)

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I used to use fresh ground coffee in refrigerated semi trailers. I would get a large can and spread it across the floor. Close it up and the next day usually the dead meat smell was pretty well gone.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Scrub and wipe with Arm and Hammer and water. Use it like a paste and scub a little. Wipe it out. Place a couple boxes in there for a few days and let it run. It should take care of the smell.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    Ozone?

That is known to kill odors. Maybe stick an ozone generator in it for a couple days?

I just ordered a boot dryer with ozone option to see if that helps with my stinky boots and shoes.

We have a winner. We used this on cars that were traded in by HEAVY smokers. Gets everything out.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Had the same issue. A local repair shop told me to use charcoal briquettes. It worked.

I will second the charcoal.. Had a friend that killed a skunk in his barn, wrapped it in two or three trash bags and put it in the freezer so he could get it to a taxidermy later. The freezer stunk like skunk and the charcoal cleaned up the smell.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom