Cuban Flag, "Confederate" Flag Comparison?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is there a Difference in the Display of Cuban Vs the "Confederate" Flags?

• Total voters

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OK, this is the 3rd time I've seen the below meme comparing the use of the Cuban Flag to the "Confederate" Flag. Now, put on your thinking caps INGO. Is this a fair comparison?
    6f5izk.jpg

(this is a public poll)

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    If you are wearing a Cuban flag because you are of Cuban heritage then that is no different than wearing a Southern flag because you are Southern. In both cases, you are stuck with the baggage that flag will represent to other people. I know you know I don't like that and I don't think you like it either, but it's the way it is. I also think that some people will display a flag with motives other than heritage, but I'm not big on believing I know what motivates other people.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think there is a difference. Nobody displaying the Confederate flag, or anyone they’ve ever known, was born in the Confederate States of America. I think there is much less of a connection there than someone who may actually be Cuban, or at least having parents from Cuba. Even if you were born in the South, it still seems irrelevant to me. I’m no more of a Miami Indian because I was born in central Indiana than someone is a “rebel” for being born in Georgia. In this particular photo, I think the patch being on an olive drab jacket similar to the photos of Che or Fidel is more suggestive than simply the flag patch.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If you are wearing a Cuban flag because you are of Cuban heritage then that is no different than wearing a Southern flag because you are Southern. In both cases, you are stuck with the baggage that flag will represent to other people. I know you know I don't like that and I don't think you like it either, but it's the way it is.

The Cuban flag is the heritage of all Cubans, is it not? Surely you don't think that the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia, is the heritage of all Southerners. There is an ideology (that isn't shared) associated with the the latter, that isn't so with the former. That isn't to say I opposed the "Confederate" flag. I grew up with a lot of people I count as friends who flew it, but it was (at least amnesty those I knew in Alabama) always displayed by those who had ancestors they could meticulously trace who fought for the Confederacy.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, the above post isn't wrong, but there is 1 distinct difference. The Confederate States of America were just that, part of this country until they decided to secede and they're part of it today. Cuba is not, and never has been part of this country unless I'm mistaken in my history.

If Cuba is so great, and your heritage there is so important that you must fly it's flag in another country maybe go live there instead?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The Cuban flag is the heritage of all Cubans, is it not? Surely you don't think that the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia, is the heritage of all Southerners. There is an ideology (that isn't shared) associated with the the latter, that isn't so with the former. That isn't to say I opposed the "Confederate" flag. I grew up with a lot of people I count as friends who flew it, but it was (at least amnesty those I knew in Alabama) always displayed by those who had ancestors they could meticulously trace who fought for the Confederacy.

I've never had one, but I've always liked the Gadsden flag. Never saw myself as a Tea Partier, and I voted for Obama. But still, I could see myself having a Gadsden flag patch on a jacket.

How many people, seeing that patch on my jacket would immediately think "That guy really likes snakes"?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

It's not that I think the Battle Flag represents the heritage of all Southerners, but that some people view it as such because it is the closest thing there is to a Southern flag. The result being that some people fly it as a symbol of Southern pride. I know a guy here in Indiana that flies it as a symbol of rebellion, motives vary.

The problem being that it also has the baggage of representing racism too, so you are stuck with that regardless of your motives. As you say, the Cuban flag represents the heritage of all Cubans, but it also has the baggage of Castro's Communism. Do you think that a person wearing that symbol in Miami isn't fully aware of the baggage it represents? That is what makes the meme on point.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No difference. If you're waving it to show you're of Cuban ancestry or waving the other to display your pride in being of southern heritage, no big deal. If your otherwise waving either as being symbolic of your support of racism and/or communism (one includes both), then yeah, it's a big deal. It tells me a lot about you.

If I were in southern Florida and the Cuban descendants down there were having some celebration regarding something about their forefathers' home land, and were waving Cuban and American flags, I have no problem with that. Same with the stars and bars. If your high school team mascot was the Rebels, I don't have a problem with the stands of their supporters waving that flage either. Context matters. Otherwise it's a piece of brightly colored cloth.

This young woman, I have no idea if her folks are Cuban or not. Being from Florida, it's a possibility they are. On the other hand, knowing where she stands with regards to guns, I wouldn't be surprised to learn she supports the current Cuban regime's oppressive government and wishes to see their policies expanded over here.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I think you need to consider the underlying reason why each individual is wearing/flying the flag. Sadly I don't think many put more thought into the flag than any other wardrobe choice they make. It is usually more about how cool does this look than any deeply held beliefs.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's not that I think the Battle Flag represents the heritage of all Southerners, but that some people view it as such because it is the closest thing there is to a Southern flag. The result being that some people fly it as a symbol of Southern pride. I know a guy here in Indiana that flies it as a symbol of rebellion, motives vary.

The problem being that it also has the baggage of representing racism too, so you are stuck with that regardless of your motives. As you say, the Cuban flag represents the heritage of all Cubans, but it also has the baggage of Castro's Communism. Do you think that a person wearing that symbol in Miami isn't fully aware of the baggage it represents? That is what makes the meme on point.

That's not exactly right. If I had a dime for every time the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia was incorrectly referred to as the "Stars and Bars," I'd have a lot of dimes. When people say "Stars and Bars," generally people know it a flag associated with the Confederacy. So, at the very least, there is some knowledge passed down, of the actual flag of the Confederacy. As far as non-Southerners flying the battle flag... it may be wrong to think this, but immediately form an opinion of such people, and steer clear. The idea that the battle flag, with it's baggage, is better symbol for American rebellion over tyranny, over "Don't Tread on Me," or "Come and Take it," is lost on my part.

Concerning the Cuban flag, in Miami, I can tell you there is absolutely no baggage in being associated with Castro from it's display. Miami Cubans (and Florida generally) become completely unhinged at the thought of benevolent Castro. They hate him, and his regime with their very being. They fly the flag proudly, and see Castro as having stole Cuba from them. I don't know a single Cuban who doesn't have a Cuban flag, and holds a negative opinion of the Castros.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No difference. If you're waving it to show you're of Cuban ancestry or waving the other to display your pride in being of southern heritage, no big deal. If your otherwise waving either as being symbolic of your support of racism and/or communism (one includes both), then yeah, it's a big deal. It tells me a lot about you.

If I were in southern Florida and the Cuban descendants down there were having some celebration regarding something about their forefathers' home land, and were waving Cuban and American flags, I have no problem with that. Same with the stars and bars. If your high school team mascot was the Rebels, I don't have a problem with the stands of their supporters waving that flage either. Context matters. Otherwise it's a piece of brightly colored cloth.

This young woman, I have no idea if her folks are Cuban or not. Being from Florida, it's a possibility they are. On the other hand, knowing where she stands with regards to guns, I wouldn't be surprised to learn she supports the current Cuban regime's oppressive government and wishes to see their policies expanded over here.

You owe me 10 cents.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

If one considers the historical circumstances under which Virginia seceded versus many of the earlier states as well as who principally commanded that army versus many of the other confederate generals, the battle flag of the Army of Northern VA is a pretty **** poor choice of confederate flags if what one is trying to display is an early Bedford Forrest type attitude.

That isn't to say there aren't a bunch of ignorant racist bastards who have adopted it, but then again they are what they are.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Just out of curiosity, do you think you could describe this heritage?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, the Cuban flag predates the Communist revolution and, therefore, is a coopted symbol of the tyrants.

The other flag? Did someone say it stood for freedom? Really? No purple?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    That's not exactly right. If I had a dime for every time the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia was incorrectly referred to as the "Stars and Bars," I'd have a lot of dimes. When people say "Stars and Bars," generally people know it a flag associated with the Confederacy. So, at the very least, there is some knowledge passed down, of the actual flag of the Confederacy. As far as non-Southerners flying the battle flag... it may be wrong to think this, but immediately form an opinion of such people, and steer clear. The idea that the battle flag, with it's baggage, is better symbol for American rebellion over tyranny, over "Don't Tread on Me," or "Come and Take it," is lost on my part.

LOL, believe me, I'm the last person you need to educate on any of this. The incorrect use of "Stars and Bars" is a pet peeve of mine. Nonetheless, my points are based on the perceptions that exist regardless of whether those perceptions make any sense or not. Regarding the guy I know that flies the flag, please note that my description of him did not include the word friend.

Concerning the Cuban flag, in Miami, I can tell you there is absolutely no baggage in being associated with Castro from it's display. Miami Cubans (and Florida generally) become completely unhinged at the thought of benevolent Castro. They hate him, and his regime with their very being. They fly the flag proudly, and see Castro as having stole Cuba from them. I don't know a single Cuban who doesn't have a Cuban flag, and holds a negative opinion of the Castros.

That is interesting, and will admit that is something I have never heard before.

Last edited:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Even if you were born in the South, it still seems irrelevant to me. I’m no more of a Miami Indian because I was born in central Indiana than someone is a “rebel” for being born in Georgia. In this particular photo, I think the patch being on an olive drab jacket similar to the photos of Che or Fidel is more suggestive than simply the flag patch.

Negative, Ghostrider. Being a Miami indian is a matter of genetic inheritance which cannot be changed. You can be born anywhere in the solar system and still be one if your parents are. Being a rebel is a state of mind. I can be one anytime I decide to be.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Agree with jsharmon. The Cuban flag patch on a para military style jacket is intentional. If it’s About heritage she’s talking Fidel, not Rubio

kut you ignored reply #2, curious as to your thoughts

someone can fly the rebel flag on a pole and just be symbolizing the south or rebel hood. If you put it as an insignia on the back of a white hoodie and walk around with the hood up that has a different meaning. Same with her patch and jacket look

your poll asks an innocent question but your post frames it differently. Show both on a flag pole and then ask the question, unless you want different results

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom