• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Even though the US isn't in it, there are lots of international soccer fans. Maybe even a few on INGO. ;)

I saw part of a friendly between Mexico and Croatia last night. Mexico looked VERY disciplined and played well. They gave up a pk to Croatia in the second half that was a good call by the ref. But, without that, Croatia was reduced to a counterattacking style and never really seemed to get their offense on. One of their guys did whiff on what was a great setup, though, earlier in the game. Maybe they were just having an off night. Croatia ended up winning, but Mexico could really cause some noise. Well, they lost a few guys to injury - one looked like an ACL tear. So, that could cause problems.

Any other World Cup fans on INGO?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Yes...always have been a fan. Bayern Munich as a club, and Germany & America as a country are my favorite teams. I treat the WC every 4 years like the March madness for others. Brackets and all. I was disappointed to see Germany lose to Brazil, but it wasn't all starters either.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Excellent!

Heya indi - if you really want to earn points with your wife, mention that Messi is the greatest player alive and without him, Argentina won't have much of a chance. ;)

(He's struggling with injuries.)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I love seeing the different styles compete against each other.

Kinda funny sidenote: several years ago, I was trying to explain how different countries had different qualities, both strategic and tactical. Germany tends to be disciplined and maintain structure well, but can lack creativity. Brazil has an abundance of creativity, but tends to have a couple superstars then a bunch of supporting players. The new rise of Japan and S. Korea include discipline and fluidity, along with speed and technical skill. The rise of African teams generally brings strong athleticism but sometimes not as much discipline as they need.

My friend told me I should be careful, because it sounds racist. I was like... "Wait whut?"

He also asked what the American style was. I said, "Yeah, that's part of the problem." I don't feel like we really have one style. Historically, we tend to be athletic, undisciplined, uncreative, and not always with the best talent. (Part of that is because the marketplace for sports here is very broad.)

I'm curious to see what others think about those observations.

BrotherFred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I believe one of the larger problems with American soccer is that we do not give play time to our 16+ in meaningful matches, we do not have a decent pipeline for MLS talent, and we let all of our homegrown players with any skill whatsoever bail to play overseas without ever trying to keep them stateside. There is no cohesiveness and I think that leads to us looking so undisciplined and unskilled. Sad really, we could've had some really amazing teams over the last decade.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think that's the key - unit cohesion. Most times, it seems like the USMNT doesn't have it. Like we're playing a couple different styles at the same time. And when things fall apart, they fall apart badly.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Haven't paid much attention to the run-up this year, but I usually do. How is Spain? Those teams from a few years ago were awe-inspiring. Complete and utter domination.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I tried to open this thread three times but kept getting tripped from behind :xmad:
    giphy.gif

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Excellent!

Heya indi - if you really want to earn points with your wife, mention that Messi is the greatest player alive and without him, Argentina won't have much of a chance. ;)

(He's struggling with injuries.)

I have an Argentine official jersey my MIL brought me from Argentina.....Between Messi and the Pope Argentine's have been on a roll the past couple of years....:)

He let her down when Brazil whupped them last time...On a side note one of the shop regulars wife is from Brazil (and a liberal)...During the last World Cup they (the wife and her) got going at each other pretty bad on Facebook and the wife finally backed off....

Soccer fans be kind of crazy...

You know what I do like about soccer??? Body paint...Oh yeah...Love me the body paint girls...It's how I learn other countries colors and uniforms...:)

Cool...I found one safe for INGO (or I am getting the hammer) Looks safe to me...If not CM slap me in detention for a day or two...I can't post a soccer girl body paint post and not post a pic...Act would kill me....:)

3479509138.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm actually paying a little bit more attention to it this year. Been watching the Premier League quite a bit last couple of years so that's how I got interested. And since my team (West Ham, aka Wet Spam) is fighting to avoid relegation, not a lot to cheer for this year.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I can't post a soccer girl body paint post and not post a pic...Act would kill me....:)

3479509138.jpg

That sure beats listening to 50,000 Vuvuzelas! I'm still not sure it would get me to watch soccer, but it is a step in the right direction.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Good thread! I was never a football fan until my Granddaughter started playing when she was 5 (she is now 15 and starting for local high school). During season (high school and club) I get live action a couple of times a week and out of season, there is nearly always a match or two on the tube. Being a non Spanish speaker, the Spanish language channels don't provide me with the background chatter from the announcers, but the flow and athletic beauty of the game is still a pleasure. (All of this coming from a dyed-in-the-wool, high school and college, traditional US younger athlete.)

By the way, what do you all think the impact of Zlatan Ibrahimovic going to be on the LA Galaxy and on the MSL?

Top Bottom