• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    So, I want to a benchtop vice. I know next to nothing about vices. It'll be used for general purpose stuff. A little home improvement, a little woodworking, a little gunsmithing. I'm not going to be doing anything too extravagant on it. I tried to do the online chat thing on the Lowe's site. I asked the guy, in general, what's the difference between a $30 vice and a $100+ vice. He asked for item numbers, and I chose two models at random. A $30 Irwin and a $189 Yost. After some time, he told me the Irwin was made of "Light-Duty Workshop" and the Yost was cast iron. He also informed me that they have different throat depths. When I inquired as to what this was, he informed me it was the depth that the saw can cut. I told him we were talking about vices and not saws. He then ended the chat. So, needless to say, I still don't know what makes one better or more expensive than the other. This is why I ask the INGO network: What should I look for in a vice? I am open to any input. Just really want something that will be stable and sturdy. Specifically, I'm leaning toward one of these, but can easily go another way. Not sure if I should be looking at a wider 5" or 6" or if 4" should work for most things. Is two mounting hols enough or does there definitely need to be four? These kinds of obvious for some kinds of questions.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-Swivel-Vise-with-Anvil-63330.html

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-4-in-Light-Duty-Mechanics-Vise/1000238623

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I own the HF vice. It works as expected. I mounted mine to a 2x10 and just clamp it to my bench when needed. Two mounting holes work good enough for me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I used a vice that I bought at Costco for probably 7 or 8 years and it seemed to be a good buy, until I needed to use it for some heavy work. I was trying to press a bushing out of the track bar from my Jeep and I bent the handle and jacked up the internal thread and turned it into a boat anchor.

I replaced it with this one: Multi-Jaw Rotating Combination Pipe and Bench Vise, Swivel Base and was impressed with the difference in quality. It's solid, the jaws line up very well, the handle turns smoothly and I've yet to feel any bit of flex in the handle, jaws, or base. I use a vise pretty regularly and I don't see me ever needing to buy another one.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    A lot of the price in a vice comes from precision and alignment tolerances so what you are using it for really does matter. I am a big fan of the older vices often found at flea markets etc. Make sure the jaws align and the handle hasn't been hammered on and go with old American iron/steel.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Haven't priced a vice in years. But if you ever plan to crank the hanfle down and exoect it to hold tight, buy quality. Seen many cheapos bend handles, have screw on vice jaws break etc. If I was looking for a new vice I would be looking at Wilton

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    A lot of the price in a vice comes from precision and alignment tolerances so what you are using it for really does matter. I am a big fan of the older vices often found at flea markets etc. Make sure the jaws align and the handle hasn't been hammered on and go with old American iron/steel.

This is good advice. I've seen tons of them at farm auctions, too. You'll spend less on a quality vise at auction or flea market than you would on garbage at Harbor Freight or any of the large home improvement stores.

And just for clarity, you are looking for a bench vise, not a vice.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Buy quality. As others have said, you can crank on them without destroying the vise. Cheap vises can have thin castings and you want something you can beat on without concern.

Get at least a 6" model. Don't go smaller.

Throat depth is the distance from the top of the jaws down to the top of the slide. Larger vises give you more throat depth.

Once you have a vise you will find more uses for it then you are currently thinking of and that's where the larger vises really pay off.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Cocaine! The greatest vice ever, benchtop, mirror, console of your car, it’s an equal opportunity vice. Cocaine doesn’t care where you take it, it’s there for YOU!

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Yes, I did mean "vise." That was a dumb mistake which I can only attribute to mental flatulence. I'll have to look for a used one somewhere. We have a couple decent flea markets here and a Habitat for Humanity Restore. I'll look at those places and check mylist. So, Wiltons are good. I'm assuming an old Craftsman would be pretty solid as well. Any other brands I should look specifically for?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have a couple of old rusty ones to restore. Got any tips for this?
    Spend an hour hunting around on the garage journal. I was an active member there for years and those guys know just about everything there is to know. Lots of how to s and a very healthy parts exchange community.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    It is very seldom that anyone says "I wish my vise was smaller" Big American vises are very expensive. I have been on the prowl for one for years and have not found "The one" yet. The more mass it has the better to absorb whatever abuse is levied upon it. Last time I looked the chinese swivel head vises were under 100 at harbor freight. I believe wherever you buy one they are made on the same assembly line.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'll second the Wilton. Or another American brand. Expect to drop some coin or buy an old used one. There is a huge difference in quality. Try cinching up a 200 lb piece of machinery in an el cheapo Western and you'll know. As soon as it falls out on your foot. The Chinese vises, even the big ones, will literally flex and drop your workpiece.

Top Bottom