• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Ok,so my wife's birthday is coming up and she had asked to get 220 installed in our 2nd floor bed room so we can hook up her tanning bed. How hard is this? Should i get a pro? If so,can anyone recommend somebody trust worthy and willing to trade the labor and parts for firearms?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Depends on a few factors.
    1- Do you have 2 spaces available in your load center?
    2- Is there an easy path (chase) from the load center to where you want the power?
    3- Would you be willing to look at conduit on the outside of the house?
    4- What distance (how many feet run from box to device)? This CAN make a difference in wire gauge required.
    5- Possibly most important, how many, and what type of firearms are you willing to part with?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's just like running 120 with an extra conductor. You use the 3+GND cable. You'll run it all the way from the breaker box. Put a new double breaker (pops both on a short on either side) in, and wire the ground and white in like with 120V, red to one hot, and black to the other. You'll need to find out what plug the human toaster is so you can put the right socket on your outlet.

I've run 240 to the garage for my welders, and to the hot tub, and now my box is full, so I'll have to do it again for a branch box in the garage.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It's just like running 120 with an extra conductor. You use the 3+GND cable. You'll run it all the way from the breaker box. Put a new double breaker (pops both on a short on either side) in, and wire the ground and white in like with 120V, red to one hot, and black to the other. You'll need to find out what plug the human toaster is so you can put the right socket on your outlet.

I've run 240 to the garage for my welders, and to the hot tub, and now my box is full, so I'll have to do it again for a branch box in the garage.

When I had my garage built I had a 100 Amp box installed. Best thing. Now have plenty for my 220 welder.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Depends on a few factors.
    1- Do you have 2 spaces available in your load center?
    2- Is there an easy path (chase) from the load center to where you want the power?
    3- Would you be willing to look at conduit on the outside of the house?
    4- What distance (how many feet run from box to device)? This CAN make a difference in wire gauge required.
    5- Possibly most important, how many, and what type of firearms are you willing to part with?

This.

Dave

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I wouldn’t hire it to be done unless you are totally uncomfortable trying to learn electrical on your own. Try picking up one of the electrical books from Lowe’s, Menards, etc. for a reference point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Getting to a second floor room might be a routing issue for a green horn. No knock but if you have to ask you are green horn.
    Is your existing panel loaded. Will you over load it with this addition. Will you need to side car the main panel.

Hire it out.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Getting to a second floor room might be a routing issue for a green horn. No knock but if you have to ask you are green horn.
    Is your existing panel loaded? Will you over load it with this addition? Will you need to side car the main panel?

Hire it out.
    Question marks added. ;)

THIS. Unless you can find someone with some experience to guide you, I wouldn't recommended; mostly based on the fact that you're asking really basic questions.

What's the ampacity of this installation?

And I can't believe I get to post this:
    <em>[video=youtube;iX3kxAA2L4Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX3kxAA2L4Q[/video]

Top Bottom