• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I will try to keep this short & simple. My daughter had a "friend" take her billfold out of her purse in Danville, it had her drivers license and SS card, where she had needed it at work. She noticed it the next day and looked everywhere for it. Then we started getting credit cards, credit denials, etc. We filed charges in Danville and the Detective started working the case along with us finding out what we could. We have now narrowed it down to an address in Marion County where the packages are being sent and the person who did its name(because she used her real cell number and address). The lady in Marion County is a friend of the girl from Danville who took it.

Here is the problem. Hendricks County Prosecutor won't let him go to Marion County...so he needs an IMPD Detective to help him out. The address she lives at and the shipping address are both about 1/2 miles south of Washington St and 1/2 West of Holt Rd. If any of you guys can help him out, please contact me or contact Det. Allison at Danville P.D. He said he has all the paperwork and files he can send you. He has the name of the person doing it, their home address and the address next door where packages are being sent.

Thanks for any help or advice.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Not a LEO... just wanted to pass my condolences on for a situation that will most likely take a long time to remedy, even after you catch the friends friend.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I will try to keep this short & simple. My daughter had a "friend" take her billfold out of her purse in Danville, it had her drivers license and SS card, where she had needed it at work. She noticed it the next day and looked everywhere for it. Then we started getting credit cards, credit denials, etc. We filed charges in Danville and the Detective started working the case along with us finding out what we could. We have now narrowed it down to an address in Marion County where the packages are being sent and the person who did its name(because she used her real cell number and address). The lady in Marion County is a friend of the girl from Danville who took it.

Here is the problem. Hendricks County Prosecutor won't let him go to Marion County...so he needs an IMPD Detective to help him out. The address she lives at and the shipping address are both about 1/2 miles south of Washington St and 1/2 West of Holt Rd. If any of you guys can help him out, please contact me or contact Det. Allison at Danville P.D. He said he has all the paperwork and files he can send you. He has the name of the person doing it, their home address and the address next door where packages are being sent.

Thanks for any help or advice.

This might be a dumb question, why are you doing the legwork for Hendrick Co? Are you just trying to be helpful, or is Hendrick County just throwing it hands up and not going to take it further, unless you get a IMPD Det. to contact them? They should be contacting the IMPD investigations division themselves. Kinda disappointing that you're forced to do this yourself, if the latter is true.
    In any case, I believe BBI is a detective, so he might be able to help you. Good luck.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    This might be a dumb question, why are you doing the legwork for Hendrick Co? Are you just trying to be helpful, or is Hendrick County just throwing it hands up and not going to take it further, unless you get a IMPD Det. to contact them? They should be contacting the IMPD investigations division themselves. Kinda disappointing that you're forced to do this yourself, if the latter is true.
    In any case, I believe BBI is a detective, so he might be able to help you. Good luck.

I think the DPD Detective is trying to contact Marion County and he is doing all he can. He has been awesome! He really has spent a lot of time working the case. He wanted us to go to Marion County and file charges, but I told him I would try getting him in touch with an IMPD Detective. The suspect, has a history of fraud, drug use, auto theft and was just arrested 3-5-18 in Marion County for identity theft and released the next day and did this crime within a week of release. I think maybe Hendricks County don't want to waste resources when they know they won't get to prosecute her since crime is in Marion County, even though the theft happened in Hendricks County, that would need to be proved. Det. Allison has done a great job of getting all the evidence together and knows who it is doing it, he is letting them spin a web. I appreciate his effort and hope I didn't make it sound like anyone dropped the ball or I am disappointed...I am just trying to help him, help us.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Not a LEO... just wanted to pass my condolences on for a situation that will most likely take a long time to remedy, even after you catch the friends friend.

Thank you. Yeah, It's a bad deal since they got the SS card. Not sure how this will work out. Even if they catch the thug, they probably won't get the card back....and even if they do, the numbers are probably out there. Not sure how she will ever prevent identity theft in future....for now she just keeps her credit blocked, but how long can a person do that. The only good thing is, I think she is learning her "friends" are not friends at all. Time to grow up and start thinking!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You are looking at this all wrong. Nothing is going to happen to the dirtbag who did this. The crime is a level 6 felony, at best. Slap on the wrist, possible probation. It would be great to get a conviction, but realistically, it's not going to solve anything regarding your daughter's personal information. Push for the detective to do his job, but don't expect much.

Your focus should be on protecting your daughter's credit, as much as possible. It is important to contact all 3 credit bureaus and place a fraud alert on her credit report. Also place a credit freeze on her report and leave it frozen unless she specifically needs to apply for credit. My credit report has been frozen for years, no one can access it without me manually granting access online with a security PIN. There is no reason for most people to keep their credit file wide open all the time.

Here is a decent resource for identity theft victims: http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/files/ID_Theft_Victim_Kit_9.28.09.pdf

I don't know if any credit cards were stolen and used, but some credit cards offer help with identity fraud as well.

Good luck to your daughter. This is going to be a long, drawn-out process.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Often the police don’t care about this stuff. We had known fraud transactions come in and called the departments where the delivery address was and they were not interested in catching the person. Very annoying.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thank you. Yeah, It's a bad deal since they got the SS card. Not sure how this will work out. Even if they catch the thug, they probably won't get the card back....and even if they do, the numbers are probably out there. Not sure how she will ever prevent identity theft in future....for now she just keeps her credit blocked, but how long can a person do that. The only good thing is, I think she is learning her "friends" are not friends at all. Time to grow up and start thinking!
    That's a valuable (and tough) lesson to learn. Hopefully she has taken it to heart!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Often the police don’t care about this stuff. We had known fraud transactions come in and called the departments where the delivery address was and they were not interested in catching the person. Very annoying.

A couple of years ago I had my debit card compromised. Someone used it to buy some expensive athletic shoes online from a Footlocker in Chicago if I remember correctly. I contacted Footlocker and they did have the purchaser's information with the address to where the purchase was delivered, but would only disclose it to the police or to my credit union/Mastercard fraud department. I did pass along that information to my credit union, but I don't know if they ever followed up on it. My account was credited for the fraudulent purchase amount.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Same thing happened to my daughter. We know exactly who did it. Video of him using her debit at a Kmart. Sold her info. Lots more. IMPD did NADA. Nothing. Zero. ZIP. Worthless.

Just know it was taken care of.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm confused as to what you need. Someone to assist in the investigation or someone to present charges to Marion county prosecutors.

Also confused as to why their prosecutor has the authority to prevent a detective from coming to our county or presenting charges.

I work Robbery, but know someone in financial crimes. Sounds like either them or a district detective is who you need. Or just a screener at the prosecutor, depending.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A couple of years ago I had my debit card compromised. Someone used it to buy some expensive athletic shoes online from a Footlocker in Chicago if I remember correctly. I contacted Footlocker and they did have the purchaser's information with the address to where the purchase was delivered, but would only disclose it to the police or to my credit union/Mastercard fraud department. I did pass along that information to my credit union, but I don't know if they ever followed up on it. My account was credited for the fraudulent purchase amount.
    When that happens, the victim is made whole by the bank, the bank become the de facto victim and they don't bother with follow through. At least this is according to Indy prosecutors. Sad but current reality. I had my debit card number used overseas. Credit Union caught it early and let me know. I filled out a form and they credited the money back to my account. Nothing else can be done.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    You are looking at this all wrong. Nothing is going to happen to the dirtbag who did this. The crime is a level 6 felony, at best. Slap on the wrist, possible probation. It would be great to get a conviction, but realistically, it's not going to solve anything regarding your daughter's personal information. Push for the detective to do his job, but don't expect much.

Your focus should be on protecting your daughter's credit, as much as possible. It is important to contact all 3 credit bureaus and place a fraud alert on her credit report. Also place a credit freeze on her report and leave it frozen unless she specifically needs to apply for credit. My credit report has been frozen for years, no one can access it without me manually granting access online with a security PIN. There is no reason for most people to keep their credit file wide open all the time.

Here is a decent resource for identity theft victims: http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/files/ID_Theft_Victim_Kit_9.28.09.pdf

I don't know if any credit cards were stolen and used, but some credit cards offer help with identity fraud as well.

Good luck to your daughter. This is going to be a long, drawn-out process.

She has contacted all 3 cb's and froze credit. She has contacted SS department. Filed fraud reports. The suspect was only able to get approved for 2 credit cards online and maxed them out. Our biggest concern is the SS card. It is worrisome that they have it and a driver's license. Thanks for your help and advice, I appreciate it.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'm confused as to what you need. Someone to assist in the investigation or someone to present charges to Marion county prosecutors.

Also confused as to why their prosecutor has the authority to prevent a detective from coming to our county or presenting charges.

I work Robbery, but know someone in financial crimes. Sounds like either them or a district detective is who you need. Or just a screener at the prosecutor, depending.

BBI, To be honest I am not sure either. I just know the Detective called and said we may have to go to Marion County to file charges since the stolen items are being sent to the suspects house in Marion County, Hendricks County can't prosecute her. I really didn't want to deal with that and asked him if report can just be given to an IMPD Detective and he said if I knew someone to have them call him direct. I can provide you with the Detectives direct number and extension, he said he would send IMPD the file. He is still trying to get the original person who took it to spin her web of lies, he has interviewed her twice. I think he just needs someone to interview the suspect in Indianapolis that he has name, shipping address which is next door to her home address, cell phone number. Not sure why he can't do that....unless it is a jurisdiction thing. I almost bet if the Indianapolis person thinks they are gonna get charged, they will rat on our local suspect who originally took it. Thanks for your help.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Often? More like we care about it a lot but have to focus on more serious crimes. Thanks for telling me my opinion though.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    BBI, To be honest I am not sure either. I just know the Detective called and said we may have to go to Marion County to file charges since the stolen items are being sent to the suspects house in Marion County, Hendricks County can't prosecute her. I really didn't want to deal with that and asked him if report can just be given to an IMPD Detective and he said if I knew someone to have them call him direct. I can provide you with the Detectives direct number and extension, he said he would send IMPD the file. He is still trying to get the original person who took it to spin her web of lies, he has interviewed her twice. I think he just needs someone to interview the suspect in Indianapolis that he has name, shipping address which is next door to her home address, cell phone number. Not sure why he can't do that....unless it is a jurisdiction thing. I almost bet if the Indianapolis person thinks they are gonna get charged, they will rat on our local suspect who originally took it. Thanks for your help.

Send me the detective's name and telephone number and I'll see if I can get a detective from the district where the suspect lives to call them and figure it out.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Often? More like we care about it a lot but have to focus on more serious crimes. Thanks for telling me my opinion though.

That was what I read in Doc's post.

A citizen sees his problem as a big one. It is difficult for him to understand it from your perspective.

I have reported things stolen twice. In both cases I found out the who and the disposition< police could not do anything.

One of the items was a Ruger .44 mag Super Blackhawk. I thought that was a big thing, but I suppose the police had bigger fish to fry.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Just know it was taken care of.

jack.gif

Top Bottom