• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    https://www.wthr.com/article/marion-county-implements-311-line-for-non-emergencies

311.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Makes sense. I have the local non-emergency numbers (Brownsburg and Hendricks County) in my phone.

Quick question: which do I call if McDonald's gets my order wrong? Or, do I just climb thru the window and start beating the cashier?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Makes sense. I have the local non-emergency numbers (Brownsburg and Hendricks County) in my phone.

Quick question: which do I call if McDonald's gets my order wrong? Or, do I just climb thru the window and start beating the cashier?

You already know the answer! Call 911 first, then climb thru the window and beat the cashier!

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I wish they wouldn’t say call 911 for “all medical problems”

I'm sure that's due to all the dispatch personnel being trained in EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatch) and being able to help discern if it is a life-threatening emergency. They most likely erred on the side of caution and would rather have people call in and get (nearly) immediate medical help rather than someone calling in with (what the caller believes) a minor medical issue but in actuality is something that needs to be treated ASAP.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Eggsactly. I’m curious if the dispatcher has the authority to tell the person they are fine and no one is coming or if a 911 call for a medical issue mandates a truck head out there

They don't have the authority to say they are fine. A bus will be sent and probably a engine too lol. And they will run lights and sirens to get there

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I'm pretty sure the people that don't know to call a non-emergency number, won't know enough to call 311 anyway.

I think this pretty well sums it up. When I was still in the business, I pulled shifts as a duty officer at an ISP post, back when each post was its own dispatch center, before consolidated regional dispatches. Some people called the police because they needed some kind of government service and the police were the only government agency 24/7, and they called even if it wasn't an emergency because they didn't know what else to do.

Others were just too stupid or self centered to know that the "problem" they were experiencing was not something requiring an emergency response. Some of these people were also the most demanding that the police come out and do something for them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wish they wouldn’t say call 911 for “all medical problems”

You want the layman, who's already decided it's worth an EMS call, to triage?

Eggsactly. I’m curious if the dispatcher has the authority to tell the person they are fine and no one is coming or if a 911 call for a medical issue mandates a truck head out there

Or a layman to base medical care decisions on information being relayed on the phone by a different layman?

I got my medical dispatcher training when I worked for Scott Co. It is basically how to talk someone through CPR, Heimlich, etc. over the phone AFTER you send an ambulance. Step 1 is always dispatch EMS/Fire, then go into your flow charts and explanations of what a chest compression is.

I'm pretty sure the people that don't know to call a non-emergency number, won't know enough to call 311 anyway.

Some will, some won't. I would get calls where the first thing out of their mouth was "I know it's not an emergency, but I didn't know how else to get in touch with someone..." when I worked nights. Red light out an intersection, lost/stolen report for insurance, etc. An easy to remember (as opposed to a standard telephone number you'd have to look up) would be used by some. They weren't stupid or over-hyping their issue, they just didn't know an alternative and the admin line for the PD wasn't answered at night. (sheriff's admin line was, but it rang through to us after 5pm instead of his desk sgt/receptionist)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You want the layman, who's already decided it's worth an EMS call, to triage?

Or a layman to base medical care decisions on information being relayed on the phone by a different layman?

I got my medical dispatcher training when I worked for Scott Co. It is basically how to talk someone through CPR, Heimlich, etc. over the phone AFTER you send an ambulance. Step 1 is always dispatch EMS/Fire, then go into your flow charts and explanations of what a chest compression is.

Some will, some won't. I would get calls where the first thing out of their mouth was "I know it's not an emergency, but I didn't know how else to get in touch with someone..." when I worked nights. Red light out an intersection, lost/stolen report for insurance, etc. An easy to remember (as opposed to a standard telephone number you'd have to look up) would be used by some. They weren't stupid or over-hyping their issue, they just didn't know an alternative and the admin line for the PD wasn't answered at night. (sheriff's admin line was, but it rang through to us after 5pm instead of his desk sgt/receptionist)

For some people, yes. I have patients who call 911 daily. I think they can be sorted out. When the official stance is call 911 for all medical issues, how do you charge someone with misuse?

many communities are creating mobile treatment units that respond for things like dressing changes and simple issues. This is to stop useless ambulance transfers for non-emergencies. I believe beech grove just started one. So yes, this lay person is doing triage.

i’ve had Cardiac arrest patients where it took the ambulance a long time to arrive because the close one was transporting an idiotic person who called for nothing and a different one had to drive farther to get there. Where’s the glory in that?

Many of these people don’t give a crap when you explain those scenarios. They will stare you in the eyes and say they don’t care about the dead person and that it’s not a bad thing they called 911 for toe pain or for a med refill.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For some people, yes. I have patients who call 911 daily. I think they can be sorted out. When the official stance is call 911 for all medical issues, how do you charge someone with misuse?

They aren't being charged with misuse of 911 as the system currently stands. You know why?

It's not illegal under Indiana's 911 laws.

As far as making a new responder service, great, sounds like a good idea. The sheriff and 911 probably aren't the ones who can implement it, though. Their job is to run the 911 communication system.

i’ve had Cardiac arrest patients where it took the ambulance a long time to arrive because the close one was transporting an idiotic person who called for nothing and a different one had to drive farther to get there. Where’s the glory in that?

Remember your fix for us? Hire enough EMS personnel and you won't have that problem. You guys need to quit being lazy and cheap and give everyone the same resources.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They aren't being charged with misuse of 911 as the system currently stands. You know why?

It's not illegal under Indiana's 911 laws.

As far as making a new responder service, great, sounds like a good idea. The sheriff and 911 probably aren't the ones who can implement it, though. Their job is to run the 911 communication system.

Remember your fix for us? Hire enough EMS personnel and you won't have that problem. You guys need to quit being lazy and cheap and give everyone the same resources.

I thought you’d be better than fighting false flag wars, i’m Disappointed honestly. Time for another INGO break for me I fear. I tire of the pettiness.

i don’t run EMS, that’s a political arena thing. You know, state and local government employees. It’s more you than me, but rather than more resources we have to be able to appropriately use the ones we have. That means giving people leeway in deciding what’s an emergency and sending lower level resources for non-emergencies. Guess who we call to transport a patient home at 10pm who came to the ER by ambulance for toe pain? Yep, an ambulance. Welcome to “Medicaid cabs”, otherwise known as an ambulance after hours.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...paramedics-20150825-story.html?outputType=amp

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I thought you’d be better than fighting false flag wars, i’m Disappointed honestly. Time for another INGO break for me I fear. I tire of the pettiness.

i don’t run EMS, that’s a political arena thing. You know, state and local government employees. It’s more you than me, but rather than more resources we have to be able to appropriately use the ones we have. That means giving people leeway in deciding what’s an emergency and sending lower level resources for non-emergencies. Guess who we call to transport a patient home at 10pm who came to the ER by ambulance for toe pain? Yep, an ambulance. Welcome to “Medicaid cabs”, otherwise known as an ambulance after hours.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...paramedics-20150825-story.html?outputType=amp

Pettiness? Lulz, ok. Petty would be complaining I still don't have a dinosaur sticker.

You think you know how to do my job better than I do, so I've tried to put to make analogies and examples so you can understand. It's *always* easier to do someone else's job when you don't actually have to do it. You dont' have control over EMS? Duh, I know that. I don't have control over the prosecutor's office, either. You work within the guidelines and you don't always get to have ANY input in those guidelines. Guess what....

You honesty don't get the irony in saying with EMS you have to use the resources you have appropriately but insisting that every report of crime has to get the same level of attention? That's EXACTLY why I call it triage.

Rather than "being disappointed", maybe try to actually see it from the point of view I'm presenting and learn something.

Top Bottom