• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Planning a trip late this June for our 10th wedding anniversary. My wife deserves it for putting up with me for so long.

Considering a week at an all inclusive in the Dominican Republic (we honeymooned there, but this will be a different and much nicer resort) that can cater to her food "allergy", or stay a week at a hotel or two in the Keys?

What say you?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Planning a trip late this June for our 10th wedding anniversary. My wife deserves it for putting up with me for so long.

Considering a week at an all inclusive in the Dominican Republic (we honeymooned there, but this will be a different and much nicer resort) that can cater to her food "allergy", or stay a week at a hotel or two in the Keys?

What say you?

With regards to the Keys consider the advice you get and if it is from experiences before or after the hurricane last year. It's been about a half year so I can see some pluses (new, updated, clean facilities) and some minuses (loss of charm, not as many places open to eat/drink/frolic, places still under construction).

We had a blast at Key West about five years ago and will go again in the future.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have been thinking the same thing, I was told that sometimes the Keys don't have as blue water as the Dom Rep. and if you stay on the All inclussive resort the Dom Rep is "cheaper", That is second hand info of course. I've been watching a website called Cheapcaribean vacations .com

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I try to stay in Canada or similar climes... so no advice on that.

But I am curious as to why "allergy" is in quotes.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have been thinking the same thing, I was told that sometimes the Keys don't have as blue water as the Dom Rep. and if you stay on the All inclussive resort the Dom Rep is "cheaper", That is second hand info of course. I've been watching a website called Cheapcaribean vacations .com

Thanks for that link!

I try to stay in Canada or similar climes... so no advice on that.

But I am curious as to why "allergy" is in quotes.

Because the easiest way to describe it is an allergy vs. an autoimmune disorder caused by ingestion of gluten?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Because the easiest way to describe it is an allergy vs. an autoimmune disorder caused by ingestion of gluten?

Gotcha. From the quotation marks I inferred (incorrectly) that it was illegitimate; like it was some hippie fad diet restriction that they acquired from a Facebook friend and claim as a medical condition.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Gotcha. From the quotation marks I inferred (incorrectly) that it was illegitimate; like it was some hippie fad diet restriction that they acquired from a Facebook friend and claim as a medical condition.

I can see how it would come off that way.

But, alas, my dear wife is a bonafide diagnosed as having Celiac Disease. :-(

The good news is that she was diagnosed at the height of the gluten-free diet craze so finding things to eat has been easier.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Used cheapcarribean.com last year in the Dominican Republic. Was a great experience. Very relaxing.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Definitely not into a 21 hour drive. I'm not even into making it twice.

And I don't like the thought of 4 separate 10.5 hour drives, either.

Fly into Miami and rent a convertible for the trip down the Keys. When you get to Florida City take the Card Sound Road to Key Largo. Stop at the seafood shack which IIRC is on the south end of the bridge. Once you reach Key Largo turn around and go back to Florida City and then take US1 to KW. I'm sad to say that I've never been to Pennekamp but the BEST beach in the Lower Keys imho is at Bahia Honda state park. Spend a day or two in KW visiting the requisite tourist sites; Southernmost Point, Turtle Crawls, Fort Zach, Lighthouse Museum, Mel Fisher's museum and of course Sunset Pier and then drink till you can't remember when you've had so much fun! (Watch out depending on which bar you're in because some of those hot chica's ain't chica's!!!)

Just don't forget that there's all kinds of tacky tourist dumps you don't want to miss all thru the Keys. If you're a Bogey fan the original African Queen is tied up next to the Holiday Inn in Key Largo, the supper cruise is fun!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

What say you?

Keys. No contest.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    We just got back from a Carribean cruise with MSC. I'm looking at going back to St. Martin for a seven day get away. Fly in rent a house with friends and spend the week "exploring" the island. It was the cleanest place we visited of Nassau, St. Martin and Antigua. It also made the top 5 places I will vanish to when my Powerball numbers hit....

A good friend had the same food disorder. He became a big fan of Ciroc vodka since it's made from grapes.:D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My mothers parents lived in Key West alone with her siblings. A few cousins still live there. Spent a fair amount of time inn the keys with them. Great memory's.

Top Bottom