• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I was just reading the thread about the stolen cc recently, and lo and behold, this morning I discovered a pending charge of over $4500 on my card that I didn't make!

I ended up reporting it as fraud and the card is cancelled, but thinking about it afterwards, something doesn't make sense to me: the charge was listed as "Archway Mktg*porsche". When I called the bank, they said there was a phone number associated with the charge, which I wrote down. I did a search and discovered it's the phone number of Porsche Cars North America (that's the actual legitimate US branch of the German car maker). I called them, and they said they didn't know anything about this charge, and it doesn't look like anything they would do, and that I should probably report it as fraud (which I then did).

But how could it have ended up under their phone number if it wasn't them? I was under the impression that the merchant has to authenticate with the credit card company or bank to make a charge, and therefore credit card fraud always happens on the other side (between the customer and merchant). But in this case they were basically telling me that someone managed to make a fake charge to me using their phone number. Is that possible?

I'm concerned because if they're wrong in saying that they didn't know anything about the charge, then I'm afraid someone could have taken out a lease or a loan in my name (the amount was about right for a 24 month plan on a 100K car). I froze my credit with all the reporting agencies just in case. Can anyone explain how this kind of fraud works?

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Phone #s are bought and sold. I don't know how it is done. I've had calls from local factorys, ends up being a telemarketer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Phone #s are bought and sold. I don't know how it is done. I've had calls from local factorys, ends up being a telemarketer.

Bought and sold and SPOOFED. If they can make it look like they're calling from a legitimate number, it doesn't seem to be much of a stretch that they could spoof a phone number to make a fraudulent charge.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Bought and sold and SPOOFED. If they can make it look like they're calling from a legitimate number, it doesn't seem to be much of a stretch that they could spoof a phone number to make a fraudulent charge.

They charge cards by phoning the bank? I always assumed it was a bit more secure than that.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Could be someone working at the Porsche dealer running a scam with someone who deals in duplicated cards, etc. You've taken the extra precaution on freezing your credit, but I'm guessing they only got your card somewhere, though with all the data breaches recently, it's best to take the safe route. That said, credit monitoring should show you if a new account such as a lease would show up.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I recently travelled from Indiana to Nashville, TN. When I stopped to get gas just outside of Nashville my debit card wouldn’t work. Found out my bank’s security review questioned why my card was being used that far from home - and they shut it down. I wasn’t thrilled at the time but also would rather have them err on the side of being cautious.

How folks have large unauthized purchases with their cards seems a little much. Perhaps a new credit card provider may be in order. At least something to think about.

Rbooher7526

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I was just reading the thread about the stolen cc recently, and lo and behold, this morning I discovered a pending charge of over $4500 on my card that I didn't make!

I ended up reporting it as fraud and the card is cancelled, but thinking about it afterwards, something doesn't make sense to me: the charge was listed as "Archway Mktg*porsche". When I called the bank, they said there was a phone number associated with the charge, which I wrote down. I did a search and discovered it's the phone number of Porsche Cars North America (that's the actual legitimate US branch of the German car maker). I called them, and they said they didn't know anything about this charge, and it doesn't look like anything they would do, and that I should probably report it as fraud (which I then did).

But how could it have ended up under their phone number if it wasn't them? I was under the impression that the merchant has to authenticate with the credit card company or bank to make a charge, and therefore credit card fraud always happens on the other side (between the customer and merchant). But in this case they were basically telling me that someone managed to make a fake charge to me using their phone number. Is that possible?

I'm concerned because if they're wrong in saying that they didn't know anything about the charge, then I'm afraid someone could have taken out a lease or a loan in my name (the amount was about right for a 24 month plan on a 100K car). I froze my credit with all the reporting agencies just in case. Can anyone explain how this kind of fraud works?
    The fraud scum just gives any numbrr. Generally the person is running the cc number through a friends machine, or they open a fake business set up an account, run their cc scam, close sccount and run with the miney. Im surprised your bank didn't flag it when yhey tried it. My bank called me to see if I was in Georgia. I wasn't.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I recently travelled from Indiana to Nashville, TN. When I stopped to get gas just outside of Nashville my debit card wouldn’t work. Found out my bank’s security review questioned why my card was being used that far from home - and they shut it down. I wasn’t thrilled at the time but also would rather have them err on the side of being cautious.

How folks have large unauthized purchases with their cards seems a little much. Perhaps a new credit card provider may be in order. At least something to think about.

I had something similar. Got an email from my card about a weird charge. Somebody bought $90 of diesel at a station at 38th and high school road, followed by another quickly afterward at a Rickers in Mooresville. Credit card company knew I didnt go there based on my history, and flagged it and contacted me. Not sure whether to be impressed or scared. The agent I spoke with said "yes, based on your spending patterns, we knew this was bogus. You dont buy that product and you also dont frequent those stations. We see you typically buy gas at Marathon and Speedway stations at these specific locations (and they rattled off my regular spots) . Since this is an odd location, AND an odd product, (diesel) AND an odd amount we assumed it wasnt you.

I think my credit card companies now know me better than my own mother.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I had something similar. Got an email from my card about a weird charge. Somebody bought $90 of diesel at a station at 38th and high school road, followed by another quickly afterward at a Rickers in Mooresville. Credit card company knew I didnt go there based on my history, and flagged it and contacted me. Not sure whether to be impressed or scared. The agent I spoke with said "yes, based on your spending patterns, we knew this was bogus. You dont buy that product and you also dont frequent those stations. We see you typically buy gas at Marathon and Speedway stations at these specific locations (and they rattled off my regular spots) . Since this is an odd location, AND an odd product, (diesel) AND an odd amount we assumed it wasnt you.

I think my credit card companies now know me better than my own mother.

When did the CC company start getting told what you were buying? All they should know is the station wants $ from your account.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    The fraud scum just gives any numbrr. Generally the person is running the cc number through a friends machine, or they open a fake business set up an account, run their cc scam, close sccount and run with the miney. Im surprised your bank didn't flag it when yhey tried it. My bank called me to see if I was in Georgia. I wasn't.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

OK that makes sense. I didn't realize people did that - I assumed they generally just used the card to buy stuff. But I suppose it makes sense if all they have is the card number and no way to spoof my identity.

Sounds like my bank is pretty relaxed about patterns compared to most. There's no way they'd ever stop a transaction just because it's in a different state. And I wouldn't want them to - that would be a pain! It's enough hassle that they block it when I travel abroad. I've been stuck at rental car desks plenty of times.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When did the CC company start getting told what you were buying? All they should know is the station wants $ from your account.

Dunno. Dedicated pumps? My point is that they were able to flag fraud based on a crazy deviation of "my" behavior. That was the big takeaway. They were able to say "hey, CM doesnt do that. He almost never uses those brand stations, has never bought gas at either station, and NEVER buys that much stuff at that type of establishment. We better contact him preemptively before more money is stolen."

Too bad the folks at PayPal arent that smart. I had somebody in Canada steal $700 in two days from my account while I was simultaneously using the same debit card here in Indy. They had only issued me one card, so it should have been obvious something is up when I'm buying lunch at McDonalds with a card swipe at noon, and 60 minutes later "I" am buying stuff at convenience stores in a different country.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    This is not a recommendation or am I affiliated with this Co. But take a look at http://privacy.com for virtual cc payments. For on-line purchases, utility payments, etc. they are a 'fire wall' between you and your bank for cc transactions.

I've used it since Dec-Jan with no issues. For instance, I make a 1 time purchase with an on-line vendor, privacy.com gives me a 1 time 'burner card number to use with a max of say $55 for just that transaction. For an utility, you set up a monthly virtual card just for them. Set a max per month.

YMMV.

Top Bottom