• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you're going to use hand signals, Do it right!

All too often I see "the lazy left turn signaling", usually from Harvey Danielson riders. :stickpoke:

Are you changing lanes, pointing out a hazard or just waving? :dunno:

If you're trying to indicate a left turn, extend the arm straight out, parallel to the road, not downward at 45°.

12-Motorcycle-Hand-Signals-You-Should-Know-Infographic-790x1024-2.jpg

I'm not sure if you do it because you think it makes you look cool, or what, but it's just confusing and sloppy and makes me think you don't care about safety (confirmed by the rag on your head).The whole point of doing it is to let others know what your intention is, not to confuse them.

:soapbox:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you're going to use hand signals, Do it right!

All too often I see "the lazy left turn signaling", usually from Harvey Danielson riders. :stickpoke:

Are you changing lanes, pointing out a hazard or just waving? :dunno:

If you're trying to indicate a left turn, extend the arm straight out, parallel to the road, not downward at 45°.

12-Motorcycle-Hand-Signals-You-Should-Know-Infographic-790x1024-2.jpg

I'm not sure if you do it because you think it makes you look cool, or what, but it's just confusing and sloppy and makes me think you don't care about safety (confirmed by the rag on your head).The whole point of doing it is to let others know what your intention is, not to confuse them.

:soapbox:

Seems like you dislike folks that ride Harley's.........:dunno:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Seems like you dislike folks that ride Harley's.........:dunno:

I'll admit it, I find the whole culture to be cult like. The HD bike, clothes, glassware, branded truck... not my thing. Couple that with the fact that if your not on a "real bike" then you're invisible...

And I'm an ATGATT guy, but if you've done the math and decided that the risk isn't enough for the cost, discomfort & "lack of cool" in wearing protective gear, fine, to each his own.*

Regardless, don't let my bias detract from the message - sloppy hand signals is dangerous riding.

PS - Aren't turn signals required in order to be highway legal?

* Just don't be the guy that claims that helmets will make you a vegetable.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Many moons ago I used to ride. One day a buddy and I were riding I was ahead of him. He got t-boned by a car going thru an intersection. He survived, but just barely. Now a days the way people drive vehicles. No way, no how would you catch me on a bike. Our oldest son rides and is a cop for a Porter county department. I fear more for him riding that motorcycle that when he is on duty.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Just changed my chain and sprockets last night. I have turn signals, I don’t need hand signals. If I have to use hand signals it’s probably because I can’t communicate my displeasure without them. My favorite bikes are the ones with the handicapped plates. Never knew they made handicapped motorcycle plates until last year, seems contradictory.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My favorite bikes are the ones with the handicapped plates. Never knew they made handicapped motorcycle plates until last year, seems contradictory.

That's the most ironic thing I've heard all day... I need to park close because I'm disabled, but I'm on a vehicle that required use of both legs at every stop...

Maybe for the trikes? :dunno:

Trikes: all the danger, wind noise, and other downsides of a motorcycle, but none of the good things.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I plan on riding as long as my body will allow me to. But when I need to make a poor old lady walk across a parking lot so I can park my bike in her handicapped spot, I might hang up the helmet.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just changed my chain and sprockets last night. I have turn signals, I don’t need hand signals. If I have to use hand signals it’s probably because I can’t communicate my displeasure without them. My favorite bikes are the ones with the handicapped plates. Never knew they made handicapped motorcycle plates until last year, seems contradictory.

The guy who taught my ABATE class had one. He had to mount his bike from the "wrong" side, had a noticeable limp/drag walk, and had very limited range of motion in his back and his bad leg. He could hold a dresser Harley up, but he was painfully slow to walk and had to take stairs one at a time (up with good leg, bring up gimp leg, repeat).

So, yeah, they are out there.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)

Several of my friends have Handicapped Plates on their bikes, All from Service Related Injuries. I'm happy they can still enjoy the Motorcycle.

kings650

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I have been riding a sport bike for more than 10 yrs now and fortunately never encountered any serious situation yet. I always put on a full gear even in summer to improve my chances.
    During ABATE classes, instructors always told us to be alert and be aware of our surroundings. That lesson kept me "safe" all these years even when I am not riding a bike.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Contradictory? I think they all ought to have one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have rode a bit of everything in my day but my Harley’s are my favorite. Yes I had the road gear (leather) and a few bandannas between me and the spouse it gust to keep our hair intact. Never jammed anyone’s choice for 2 wheels past a DUI scooter /moped. I have and will be a tad nasty to that crowd. Ride along with a lot of metric cruisers. Those bikes run/ride great. And the are easier on the budget.
    My bikes were never stock. They all are modified to some level and a few hit the insanity level.
    Never patched but I rode with many who did. Built/worked on a lot of their bikes. It is nice and very handy when those folks owe you.

Ride what suits you. It is fine with me.

As to the signals my junk had them. Plus we all used the proper arm signals even the 1%’s

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Once, a HD rider waved at me me from some distance...

As we converged, he realized I was cruising atop a two-tone green italian scooter, complete with whitewalls.... I can't remember if I was wearing a bowite that day, or not.

The look of shame on his face was priceless. ;)

Wait.... maybe he wasn't waving at me, but making a half-assed left turn signal...

Top Bottom