• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    My horse trailer is de-winterized and cleaned up. Horses are shod. Got some clothes and groceries packed. I'm Brown County bound this weekend.

Anyone else here do any trail riding? I usually just go to Brown County but have been a few other places. I've been thinking about checking out Hoosier Horse Camp(private owned). Years ago I went 2-3 times a month, last few years it's been more like 2-3 times a year. Looking forward to getting out a little more regular this year!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If by “camping” you mean Marriott, and “trail riding with horses” you mean picking up a fat chick in the hotel lounge, then, no!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm not into bestiality, so nope can't say I camp with them

If you're in BC and at a hotel, watch for people trying to blow themselves up. If you're on the trails, watch for rattlesnakes (probably too cold) and meth heads and try and eliminate all you see. Killing the snakes might be illegal but for the best (just keep your mouth shut), and the court system down here for the meth heads is laughable so you'll be doing us a favor

I will say though the horse trails probably have less pot holes than our roads

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I’ve always loved horses and camping, but since I’ve never owned horses I only enjoy the camping part. I’ll camp as primitive as sleeping on the ground next to the fire or in a motor home with all th3 comforts . I just love being away from the city and out in the woods.
    Have fun trailrider!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The HNF has places where you can ride and camp. Turkey season will start in two weeks though so you might have to share some of the woods with hunters.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Used to camp with the in laws at Maumee and ride in HNF. Father in law has dementia now but I bet he could still find his way around all those trails he knew them so well. Maumee is a private camp ground and has very limited amenities. we always enjoyed it though.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    The HNF has places where you can ride and camp. Turkey season will start in two weeks though so you might have to share some of the woods with hunters.
    I did camp at HNF(Blackwell campground I think) several years ago during turkey season. They also had a Boy Scout camp going on same weekend. Interesting mix of folks.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Yellowwwod State Forest was always my favorite place to horse camp. Often I would be the only one there. There were too many partiers and "cowboys" in Brown County for my tastes.
    I also camped in Blackwell and Maumee in HNF except back wnen I camped there water wasn't readily available in Blackwell. I don't know if it is there now.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Back in the day we rode Brown County State Park, Yellowwood State Park (Brown County) , Hoosier Horse Camp (Norman Indiana) and Midwest Trail Ride (Norman Indiana) Seems Hoosier Horse required both state and federal passes, nice to ride but ups the cost a bit. Midwest was nice and has little cabins you can rent, a mess hall and a stall for your horse. Yellowwood can't remember a lot about been to long ago.

Last edited:

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Yellowwwod State Forest was always my favorite place to horse camp. Often I would be the only one there. There were too many partiers and "cowboys" in Brown County for my tastes.
    I also camped in Blackwell and Maumee in HNF except back wnen I camped there water wasn't readily available in Blackwell. I don't know if it is there now.
    The partying was why I liked Brown County 15 years ago. Lol. It seems a little more calm these days. OK with me as now I go with my wife and Grandson more. I've not been to Yellowwood but I have a buddy that has. Might have to check it out. Like the idea of small crowds.
    HNF is still BYO water. Not a big deal but a little inconveient. I do like the riding.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Matthew Broderick does...

GettyImages-613081984-1500x1200.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Deam Lake has cabin/stable combos you can rent and trails to ride. I don't have horses, but have rented other cabins there and walked the trails. It's a smaller state park, but nice.

Top Bottom