• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've noticed lately, that when I answer an legitimate call on my home phone (land line) that often, in a short time, I get an apparent illegitimate (scam/ solicitation) call that I don't answer. I'm thankful for caller ID, but it has me wondering if these organizations now have the ability to monitor my phone and after it is answered, have their auto dialer call my number? It actually is kinda creepy, as in "Big Brother" from the Orwell novel "1984". Do my suspicions sound credible or am I just being paranoid?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Just ask Alexa to check into it for you... otherwise....

[video=youtube;w-0TEJMJOhk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk[/video]

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It may be a coincidence, a group of telennoyers may be running through a list of numbers. Getting a busy from yours, their bot will park on you until your line reopens, under the presumption you're there. That could happen quickly and frequently. Then there's confirmation bias in your brain, which calls for data collection and analysis. If you have someone with the equipment to do this with sophistication, they'll come get you when they're ready.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its an autodialer. Its busy dialing, and when it detects a human and not an answering machine greeting, it transfers to a live person. Thats the delay.

There is also the delay of Voice over IP servers that are covering VERY large distances, causing BIG lags. Ive experienced this delay on conference bridges. Kinda like the old overseas call where it literally takes a second or more for the audio to make it round trip, leading to lots of lag.

I had one this afternoon. second and a half delay, and then when I tried talking, it turned out to be a automated voice response unit trying to have a conversation with me. Imagine the "please say what you are calling about" when you call a utility or other huge company for support. But instead of just processing your voice to figure out what department to send you to, it processes your entire sentence and then formulates what to say back to you. In this case it was a bogus police benevolence organization so I hung up on it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    And VOIP faces the challenge of assembling packets worth sending from a very low bandwidth signal, then reassembling the voice signal from packets that may be coming at it from multiple servers, so there's latency built in. There's an old trick amateur radio operators would play when the propagation was right. You could key your microphone long enough to QSO yourself from all the way around the world. Your VOIP also has to deal with that, and getting your bits on and off the wire can be a small part of the total problem. Radio is faster than wire.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Its an autodialer. Its busy dialing, and when it detects a human and not an answering machine greeting, it transfers to a live person. Thats the delay.

There is also the delay of Voice over IP servers that are covering VERY large distances, causing BIG lags. Ive experienced this delay on conference bridges. Kinda like the old overseas call where it literally takes a second or more for the audio to make it round trip, leading to lots of lag.

I had one this afternoon. second and a half delay, and then when I tried talking, it turned out to be a automated voice response unit trying to have a conversation with me. Imagine the "please say what you are calling about" when you call a utility or other huge company for support. But instead of just processing your voice to figure out what department to send you to, it processes your entire sentence and then formulates what to say back to you. In this case it was a bogus police benevolence organization so I hung up on it.
    This makes sense. The deal is that we don't get that many legit calls, so when I got a legit call and in a few seconds an apparently scam/ solicitation call, it appears to me that they are somehow connected. Since a lot of scam/ solicitation calls these days can appear to be local calls, but aren't, I figured that the scammers/solicitors might have upped their game with new software that could monitor phone activity. We probably get 5 to 1 scam/ solicitation calls for every legit call these days.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    For a while my landline phone would give a very weak ring (sickly). When I picked up the phone I would hear two people talking (I'm not on a party line). When I started talking the others would shut up and ask who I was and what I was doing on their line. They first thought I was in their house somewhere. Finally called the phone company and was telling them what was going on. While talking to the tech one of the other people also called the phone company and was talking to a tech. All four of us could hear each other. Since the techs knew we were on separate lines we just let the techs talk to each other! Got it fixed the next day. Water was in the junction box causing crosstalk on multiple lines.

Maybe you are getting junk calls not only for you but everyone in your junction box.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For a while my landline phone would give a very weak ring (sickly). When I picked up the phone I would hear two people talking (I'm not on a party line). When I started talking the others would shut up and ask who I was and what I was doing on their line. They first thought I was in their house somewhere. Finally called the phone company and was telling them what was going on. While talking to the tech one of the other people also called the phone company and was talking to a tech. All four of us could hear each other. Since the techs knew we were on separate lines we just let the techs talk to each other! Got it fixed the next day. Water was in the junction box causing crosstalk on multiple lines.

Maybe you are getting junk calls not only for you but everyone in your junction box.

threadjack:

10 years ago we cut the cord and dropped our land line. 5 years later, I was working in my basement in my home network box. On a whim I plugged my buttset into the feed from the street. Amazingly, I had a dial tone. WTF? So I called my cell phone and it worked. It wasnt my old phone number. I googled the number and it came back to one of my neighbors two streets over. (farther downstream) So apparently after I quit, they lost track of my pairs and reused them without disconnecting my house from the pedistal. (to save money, they no longer send a tech to physically disconnect you; they simply turn it off at the head end in the switch gear.)

So I called ATT from that line and tried to open a ticket to get my house disconnected from their line. As soon as ATT found out that I dont own the line, they refused to dispatch because I dont have authorization to approve the possible truck roll charges in case the fault is inside his house and not covered by the free repair service. I asked for a supervisor because it was OBVIOUSLY not a problem inside his house.

The supervisor came on the line and I explained to her what was going on and exactly where I was calling from. She reiterated that I couldnt approve possible charges for my neighbor in case it was an inside wiring fault. I reiterated that it was impossible, because I was calling them from HIS phone line from inside MY basement two streets over, making the possibility of inside wiring faults an absolute impossibility. She still wouldnt approve the dispatch. So I said "OK, so you won't disconnect my house from my neighbor's line and anything I do on this phone line will be billed to his address and not mine? So whats the going rate for 1-900 calls these days? Because that would be absolutely AWESOME for me to be able to make those calls and not have to pay for them." She changed her tune immediately. She said I should hang up and she would call the phone number back. I was not to pick up the line and she would get authorization from the owner of the line to open the ticket.

They finally got it fixed. But it was absolutely absurd that they would not dispatch when it was obviously not an inside wiring problem. Of course this is the same company that comes through every 4-5 years and tears up my yard with heavy equipment when they upgrade buried cables, doesnt fix the damage, then wont take my calls to fix it because they cant take a report unless it is linked to a service address. (which I dont have since Im not a customer)

The movies Brazil and Idiocracy are looking more and more like documentaries instead of fiction.

/threadjack

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    CM, that reminds me of:
    Dilbert2.gif

Top Bottom