Woman sucked out of window on Southwest flight when engine explodes.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Seatbelts on at all times.

For me I mean ALL times. 20+ years of flying and I've never seen the inside of an airplane bathroom.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Good thing it wasn't a United flight. Those who unfastened their seat belts to pull her back in would've been dragged from the plane for disobeying flight crew orders.:rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have been on Southwest where I have desired an exploding engine. Wal-Mart of the Sky is horrific at times.

EXCEPTION: Sometimes you get the "good Wal-Mart people" on Southwest. Flew to NRAAM last year on Southwest. Hit the jackpot both to and from--good Wal-Mart people friendly, quiet and, above all, showered!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My Southwest experience has been pretty good. Last year went to New York 3 times, LA twice and San Diego once. Yeah, every once in a while, you get the sleeveless, showerless types...but spending the time on INGO I do, I'm kinda used to it. (sense of humor, people)

When my wife and I went to New York for our anniversary around Christmas, due to all my flying, her trip out cost $5.80 and the trip back cost $70.15 (mine was on a client's dime). That was pretty rapid buildup of a nearly free flight.

Anyhoo, accidents gonna happen. Southwest has a fantastic safety record and the fact that all of its airplanes are 737s helps as familiarity with the airframe aids in sound maintenance routines.

...of course there was that one flight last July that got cancelled at Laguardia at 11:00 pm on a Friday and the only flight back to Chicago before the following evening was from Islip at 6:00 am (ever wonder what the MTA buses Queens, Long Island Railroad and cabs on Long Island are like between midnight and 4:00 am?)...which then connected through Baltimore....but if you fly enough, that happens.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Something so many people are missing is the strength and structural integrity of the Boeing 737. The engine exploded turning the cowling into one big parachute on the wing. The leading edge flaps were damaged yet deployed properly. The fuselage was punctured in many places including the total destruction of a window. And the pilots were able to execute a perfect emergency decent and landing.

On the flip side, those pieces had to rain to earth somewhere.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    1523986147135.jpg

1523983326369.jpg

1523986194331.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Seatbelts on at all times.

For me I mean ALL times. 20+ years of flying and I've never seen the inside of an airplane bathroom.

--THIS-- I hate flying commercial, it's like a combination of subway and bus...someone else driving the tube you're going to die in. When I retire in a couple years I will not fly willingly again (while someone else is driving).

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    INGOers:

In the highly unlikely event your airline flight experiences a rapid depressurization for any reason - please don't be like the moron with a manbun pictured above...PUT THE DANG MASK OVER YOUR *NOSE* AND MOUTH!

CFM56s are stupidly reliable engines...but in any turbine engine, if a blade in the fan or turbine section lets go, the imbalance combined with RPMs are gonna cause stuff to come apart quickly and with a LOT of energy. That being said, pieces of the engine penetrating the fuselage are *exceedingly* rare in underwing engine aircraft.

Great job by the flight crew, the Captain can be heard on LiveATC and she sounds as cool as cucumber when she says "a piece of the plane is missing" :n00b:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just over the news, the poor woman almost suck out the window has died. I believe this she is the first fatality on a US registered aircraft in 9 years or so. Talk about a great record considering how bad it was in the 1980s and earlier.

Top Bottom