• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Eye itching is at least 80% of last year. Over the counter and prescription antihistamine eye drops help a little, but so far using a wet cloth to keep wiping my eyelids/lashes and around my eyes periodically to remove allergen particles seems to help more.

Post nasal drip is worse than last year.

Current meds:

• cetirizine HCl (generic Zyrtec)
    • montelukast sodium (generic Singulair)
    • fluticasone propionate (generic Flonase)
    • pheniramine maleate & naphazoline hydrochloride eye drops (generic Visine-A)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I know the feeling. Hope you feel better.

The cheap Walmart version of Claritin always helps me.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Try xyzal. It was a game changer for me.
    I tried the allergy shots last year and ended up in the ER because of the reaction. Now I take xyzal and the generic singular and I’m good as can be.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And i thought my wife had it bad. You take all that daily?

Yep.

It sucks.

I know the feeling. Hope you feel better.

The cheap Walmart version of Claritin always helps me.

I tried switching back to Claritin last year when it got bad, but it didn't work for me. It was worth a try, though!

Try xyzal. It was a game changer for me.
    I tried the allergy shots last year and ended up in the ER because of the reaction. Now I take xyzal and the generic singular and I’m good as can be.

Thanks for the recommendation! That's Levocetirizine, which is the "child" of the active ingredient in Zyrtec. Might be worth trying the more modern version!

Edit to add: upon research, I realized that levocetirizine is just the active optical of cetirizine (the levo- mirror image) whereas regular cetirizine has both the levo- and the dextro- optical isomers. The levocetirizine (Xyzal) is 100% active ingredient, so the standard dose is 5mg. Regular ol' cetirizine (Zyrtec) is only about 50% active, so the standard dose is 10mg to get 5mg of stuff that works.

So no good reason for me to try the levocetirizine, since it's unlikely to be any different.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Drugs and alcohol already been recommended. So I won’t add to that list.

If it seems to be pollen related allergy Try local honey (better for hay fever type allergies) spring allergies normally tree pollen. Where hay fever is other plants less tree pollen. Local harvested honey kicked my summer hay fever within two weeks of daily ingesting. Was recommended to me by mother in law who purchased the first jar for me after my dismissal of it as a old wives tail. I get mine at the local Apple grower.

The honey you get in the stores will not work because if it is truly honey. (Most is not) it is not using the plants in the environment that are causing you issues. Exposure to the pollen causing the issues is the cure.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Flonase gives me migraines.

I have yet to find a pill that works for long. I may have to start trying different combinations and see if that makes mine any better.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Honey seemed helpful last year in the apple cider vinegar tonic I was drinking. Sugars (including honey) are out this year.

ACV combined with some other odds and ends in another potion doesn't fix the allergy, but fends off the sinus/ear congestion and infections.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Flonase gives me migraines.

I have yet to find a pill that works for long. I may have to start trying different combinations and see if that makes mine any better.
    Did me too. Started using Clarispray from CVS and it works without the headaches. Funny thing is, I think it has the same active ingredients

Top Bottom