What if all guns disappeared? (BBC article)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I read that BBC article about guns ... it's hard to read the entire thing without screaming into a pillow.

BBC - Future - What if all guns disappeared?

So if you're going to read it get your pillow ready.

Guns are made for killing

That's a classic! I think it means every gun owner is a murderer.

Whether guns actually help people stay safe and defend themselves is a controversial subject. But the limited research available on this topic tends to indicate that guns have the opposite effect.

WTF?! How is it controversial? I'm pretty sure all the cops and soldiers on the planet carry guns because it help them defend themselves better than their fists.

How is there limited research on the issue???

Guns were used in just 10% of attacks but accounted for 55% of deaths. In the US, terrorists also prefer guns: out of 16 lethal terrorism-associated attacks since 9/11, all but two involved firearms.

Funny how those are the attacks SINCE 9/11 so as not to include the largest terrorist attack where nearly 3,000 people were killed without the use of a gun.

It's also just in the US as to not include terrorist attacks like in Nice, France; where a truck was used to kill 86 people and injure hundreds.
    The terrorist was shot and stopped with a gun. :rolleyes:

Guns also make interactions with the police deadlier.

WTF? Knives also make interactions with the police deadlier when unarmed British cops get stabbed to death.

I also had plenty of interactions with the police and was never shot to death.Not even wounded a little bit.

tumblr_inline_mi37r2RaOn1qz4rgp.gif

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well I can tell you what happened in France when all guns disappeared (of coarse not all but for the sake of arguement), it was.WWII and France surendered to the nazis and guess what the U.S. was asked to parachute into France? Yep you guessed it .. guns. So that they could defend themselves from the nazis.
    Liberator pistols were some, but most were real machineguns.
    These stupid sheep will NEVER get it and they are always ready to follow the leader to slaughter

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well I can tell you what happened in France when all guns disappeared (of coarse not all but for the sake of arguement), it was.WWII and France surendered to the nazis and guess what the U.S. was asked to parachute into France? Yep you guessed it .. guns. So that they could defend themselves from the nazis.
    Liberator pistols were some, but most were real machineguns

I think most liberator pistols where built but then dropped into the ocean off the coast of Florida.I think I read an article about that ... The French government in exile thought that it might be bad if too many citizens had guns after the war and asked the US not to drop the guns.

In 1939 French gun laws got very strict, before that anyone could buy a gun without even a background check and without any registration.
    And France was invaded by the Germans in 1940 ...:facepalm:

By 1941 not only you could no longer buy a gun but owning one was made a crime punishable by death.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Don't need to read the article. I imagine it goes something like, blah, blah, blah, blah, "guns are bad", blah, blah, blah, "guns are scary", blah, blah, blah, "guns are evil", blah, blah, blah.....to which i say, "F OFF!!!!!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Don't need to read the article. I imagine it goes something like, blah, blah, blah, blah, "guns are bad", blah, blah, blah, "guns are scary", blah, blah, blah, "guns are evil", blah, blah, blah.....to which i say, "F OFF!!!!!

Yes.You sound just like the author. :yesway:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think most liberator pistols where built but then dropped into the ocean off the coast of Florida.I think I read an article about that ... The French government in exile thought that it might be bad if too many citizens had guns after the war and asked the US not to drop the guns.

In 1939 French gun laws got very strict, before that anyone could buy a gun without even a background check and without any registration.
    And France was invaded by the Germans in 1940 ...:facepalm:

By 1941 not only you could no longer buy a gun but owning one was made a crime punishable by death.

Ok so help me make sure I understand correctly.
    Pre 1939, anyone could buy a gun without so much as a background check. 1940, France was invaded by the Germans...and after already suffering a full on invasion, a year later in 1941 nobody could own a gun? And if caught with a gun it was punishable by death? Was that a result of German control or did the french government implement that law?

I would think the French gov't woulda been arming dang near anyone with a pulse to fight off the invading Germans.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Pre 1939, anyone could buy a gun without so much as a background check. 1940, France was invaded by the Germans...and after already suffering a full on invasion, a year later in 1941 nobody could own a gun? And if caught with a gun it was punishable by death? Was that a result of German control or did the french government implement that law?

I would think the French gov't woulda been arming dang near anyone with a pulse to fight off the invading Germans.

I'm sure Sylvain can explain French history better than me, but part of France was controlled by the Germans, and the remainder was controlled by Vichy France. Vichy France was essentially German collaborators.

The Free French were fighting with the Allies, intending to take over power after the Germans were defeated. However, they knew they would have to contend with a significant communist group, Francs-Tireurs et Partisans, that was the largest and best organized of the various resistance movements. It wasn't as simple as arming anyone willing to fight the Germans, you could be arming the very people you would be fighting for power when the war ended. Justified or not, it was complicated.

Getting back to the op, I find it amazing that the BBC thinks it needs to preach gun-control to a nation that has already been disarmed. They must be afraid of some wrong-thinking going on among the population as the murder rate climbs.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I'm sure Sylvain can explain French history better than me, but part of France was controlled by the Germans, and the remainder was controlled by Vichy France. Vichy France was essentially German collaborators.

The Free French were fighting with the Allies, intending to take over power after the Germans were defeated. However, they knew they would have to contend with a significant Communist group that was the largest and best organized of the various resistance movements. It wasn't as simple as arming anyone willing to fight the Germans, you could be arming the very people you would be fighting for power when the war ended.

Yes, what Rob said.
    France had two governments between 1940-1945.
    One in Vichy working with the Germans and one in London working with the allied.
    That rule that nobody could own a gun in 1941 was implanted by the Vichy government to prevent resistance movements to fight the Germans.

If you were caught with a gun during the war, as a civilian, you would have been arrested by the French police and probably shot by the Germans.

Not all French police officers were willing to work for the Germans and Vichy so many took their guns and joined the resistance.

vichy-france.jpg

But the "funny" thing is that the country was invaded once the civilian population could no longer own/buy guns.
    That's not something you learn in history books, even in France.
    It tells you the importance of the second amendment in the US.

Before 1939 a French bicycle company was offering you a pistol if you bought one of their bikes to protect yourself against stray dogs.

search
    file.php

Their ad says it fits easily in your pocket.
    You had to order it at your local book store by mail to have it delivered to you.
    For the ammunition you had to go to your local gun store.
    No background check, no registration, no lience to carry and a gun shipped directly to your door ...

They had a whole range of pocket pistols ...

jrc10.jpg

All those were sold in bicycle shops to anyone or shipped by mail if ordered thru catalogues.

That's an ad from 1908 I believe.

This one says they are selling the exact same revolver used by the French military ...

pub_ep11.jpg

All that changed with one law.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Getting back to the op, I find it amazing that the BBC thinks it needs to preach gun-control to a nation that has already been disarmed. They must be afraid of some wrong-thinking going on among the population as the murder rate climbs.

They are preaching to an international audience as well.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When they talk about all the guns "disappearing", they really mean everybody's EXCEPT the ones used to protect our "glorious rulers".

There's no way our "glorious rulers" would EVER allow themselves to have to go through their daily lives defenseless being their "own man" like they insist we should.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We already know exactly what would happen in all guns "disappeared". Folks start killing each other with knives and machetes.

The method of murder doesn't matter much, when your intended victim is disarmed.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Based on recent headlines from the UK, the lack of availability of firearms hasn't slowed the murderous bent of the fine citizens over there. With this in mind It appears the BBC doesn't actually have any qualms about the citizenry murdering each other. They just prefer that it be done with knives rather than guns. Maybe it's the noise that they object to?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Favorite part of the article: big bold letters, two million people took to the streets to protest gun violence. That’s roughly one-half of one-percent of the population......yeah clearly there’s overwhelming support for gun bans....

Top Bottom