• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There's a small plot of land I'm considering purchasing in a rural area. It has an abandoned neglected trailer home which I would want removed, about 15x60'. Any suggestions on how to best dispose of it? Given that it has plenty of metal which could be used for scrap, I would hope to make a few dollars selling it, or at least have it hauled away for free.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only part that's a bother is the frame. If you have access to a cutting torch, it's not much of a bother.

Take the windows out, if it's somewhere you can burn it, burn it. Then cut up the frame. If it's not somewhere you can burn it but can burn brush piles, a front end loader will tear it down pretty quick, make piles, burn it. Sort through what's left.

You *might* find someone who wants to make a hay wagon or something who'll want the frame, but there's more old dilapidated trailers than there are farmers who want a fame for a hay wagon, don't expect much beyond getting rid of it.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    My last trip to our County dump I witnessed someone pull in with a single wide and couldn't help but wonder how much $$ that trip was gonna cost them. At that time called a relative who used to refurb single wide repos for one of our banks and they told me anymore it was a losing proposition to strip one for the metal value when you factored in the time involved and subsequent hassle of disposing the remaining trash unless you had a place to burn it off. Would suggest maybe fire training; but with what little wood and all the fiberglass and plastics to create noxious fumes, bet they even wouldn't want it. Good luck

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Let me throw in a couple Denny-ish cautions. I have personally dealt with burning mobile homes and other material and removal of unwanted mobile homes, and although kirk likes to kick about Texas law, in general it’s not that different than other Red states.

For one, open burning of anything, particularly non-agricultural materials, may be regulated by local and state laws. Violations of these laws can result in substantial fines and forced remediation of the ground where the material was burned. You probably know somebody that’s burned off their trash and didn’t get in trouble for it. I know somebodies that did, and they did not like the consequences. You’re a big boy, make decisions, but do a little homework first. Mobile homes are made of all kinds of nasty stuff, and even after they burn down they leave behind a lot of nasty stuff, Which you will either have to live with or cart off

Towing it away present its own legal problems. You may very well need to have the trailer licensed/plated, if only temporarily, and have liability insurance in case something goes wrong. Anybody with half a brain who will tow it for you will require that it be in good enough shape that it won’t come apart As it is hauled the road, Plus again liability insurance for the move. Old trailers are generally in crappy shape, and may require reinforcement and new axles and tires even if the old ones haven’t been removed.

If it is in crappy shape and not really worth it to anyone else to tow off for you, then the best bet may be to hire someone to demolish it. I had a 24 x 50‘ mobile home demolished and hauled off, which took one young man and a backhoe About a day to put 99% of it in dumpsters to be carted off. It took a couple more days to pick up the bits and pieces the backhoe missed, and to cut up the frame and throw it on a flatbed trailer. If I recall correctly, this cost me about $3800.

I can’t back up to look at the OP right now without losing my comments , but if this is part of a land Purchase, you may be able to negotiate the removal or the cost of the removal as part of the whole deal.
    Do your homework and good luck.

p.s. Do not be surprised if you offer your local VFD a chance to “do some fire training” and they turn you down. Setting up a safe and legal structural fire training evolution is a bit more complicated than showing up with the fire truck and lighting a match. They often have to follow the same rules on open burning, plus NFPA safety guidelines, which may require them to remove all the potentially toxic materials from the structure first, along with all wiring and other potential hazards. It’s easier to go to a dedicated fire training facility, or build your own temporary structure completely out of wood and than to deal with an old house.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let me throw in a couple Denny-ish cautions. I have personally dealt with burning mobile homes and other material and removal of unwanted mobile homes, and although kirk likes to kick about Texas law, in general it’s not that different than other Red states.

For one, open burning of anything, particularly non-agricultural materials, may be regulated by local and state laws. Violations of these laws can result in substantial fines and forced remediation of the ground where the material was burned. You probably know somebody that’s burned off their trash and didn’t get in trouble for it. I know somebodies that did, and they did not like the consequences. You’re a big boy, make decisions, but do a little homework first. Mobile homes are made of all kinds of nasty stuff, and even after they burn down they leave behind a lot of nasty stuff, Which you will either have to live with or cart off

Towing it away present its own legal problems. You may very well need to have the trailer licensed/plated, if only temporarily, and have liability insurance in case something goes wrong. Anybody with half a brain who will tow it for you will require that it be in good enough shape that it won’t come apart As it is hauled the road, Plus again liability insurance for the move. Old trailers are generally in crappy shape, and may require reinforcement and new axles and tires even if the old ones haven’t been removed.

If it is in crappy shape and not really worth it to anyone else to tow off for you, then the best bet may be to hire someone to demolish it. I had a 24 x 50‘ mobile home demolished and hauled off, which took one young man and a backhoe About a day to put 99% of it in dumpsters to be carted off. It took a couple more days to pick up the bits and pieces the backhoe missed, and to cut up the frame and throw it on a flatbed trailer. If I recall correctly, this cost me about $3800.

I can’t back up to look at the OP right now without losing my comments , but if this is part of a land Purchase, you may be able to negotiate the removal or the cost of the removal as part of the whole deal.

p.s. Do not be surprised if you offer your local VFD a chance to “do some fire training” and they turn you down. Setting up a safe and legal structural fire training evolution is a bit more complicated than showing up with the fire truck and lighting a match. They often have to follow the same rules on open burning, plus NFPA safety guidelines, which may require them to remove all the potentially toxic materials from the structure first, along with all wiring and other potential hazards. It’s easier to go to a dedicated fire training facility, or build your own temporary structure completely out of wood and than to deal with an old house.

If it will tow OK most of the people who will do this have the insurances in place. No plates required as they have everything needed just like a wrecker clearing of some old cars from a lot and towing to the crusher. These outfits have good wheels/tires and everything needed.

It will have to be in sound enough shape to be moved.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    If it will tow OK most of the people who will do this have the insurances in place. No plates required as they have everything needed just like a wrecker clearing of some old cars from a lot and towing to the crusher. These outfits have good wheels/tires and everything needed.

It will have to be in sound enough shape to be moved.

I didn’t distinguish between paying someone to tow it, or towing yourself, my bad. But either way you go there are costs involved, and the main thing is having in good enough condition to tow. Old trailers are generally not in very good shape and a professional will Add the cost to make it good enough to the bill. And of course he has wheels and axles and insurance,...and will charge for them. A paintball club is not going to spring for this kind of dough.

You can get quotes for both demolition and towing, and see which one is cheaper, but burning it in place is just not a great idea. You can get quotes for both demolition and towing, and see which one is cheaper, but burning it in place is just not a great idea. Again, if this is part of a land purchase, it would be best if you could arrange for removal of part of the purchase.

ETA: It appears Indiana does have a specific statutory procedure for landowners who wish to dispose of an “abandoned“ mobile home. A professional removal company again should be able to work this process, but It does require inspection and either a title or an affidavit prior to towing.
    https://secure.in.gov/bmv/files/Abandoned_Mobile_Home_Packet.pdf

In any case, the whole point of my comment is that it’s not necessarily simple or cheap to remove a mobile home from your property, and need to factor that into your plans.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    There is a way to possibly make the demolition option cheaper. If your state environmental laws allow, you may be able to bury the debris on site, rather than pay for dumpsters to have it hauled off.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis

I wouldn't want to burn it simply as not to have the carcinogenic byproducts soaking into the ground on my property - where I would eventually plan on gardening.

It has tires, but I don't know whether it's moveable because it's so old (I'm guessing it's been there since the 70s or 80s). The floors have sunken spots. Sounds like at best I could get it hauled away by someone for free, but shouldn't expect any positive cash flow...

Thanks for the info everyone!

Top Bottom