• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I travel East 52nd St between Mitthoeffer & German Church about once a week and it’s been in horrible shape. A week ago I noticed they had done some strip paving which really helped. Today, I noticed they had totally ground the whole road to be repaved. Seems like a waste to spend money on strip paving just to come back and grind up the new asphalt to redo the whole road. Guess that 10 cent a gallon gas tax is paying off.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've seen enough .gov paving games to set me off on a nice rant. I'll bite my tongue. I do wish there was some way to remove Braintard.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I still don't understand why they bother with "cold patch" to repair potholes when they know that the first rain we get will wash it all away. Save the money from the cold patch and just do it right when able to do so. Fixing something for a week seems like a huge waste of money and time.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Without the cold patch (which is terrible) a lot of roads would be totally impassible.

Its a known, emergency, stop gap method to get the city through a few weeks until a more permanent fix can be implemented.

Ive seen holes on keystone as well as Kessler that extended across the full lane, and were unavoidable. They were deep and long enough to drop you to your axle.

The cold patch is one level better than filling them with gravel.

Kinda like applying pressure to a wound. It might buy you time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I travel East 52nd St between Mitthoeffer & German Church about once a week and it’s been in horrible shape. A week ago I noticed they had done some strip paving which really helped. Today, I noticed they had totally ground the whole road to be repaved. Seems like a waste to spend money on strip paving just to come back and grind up the new asphalt to redo the whole road. Guess that 10 cent a gallon gas tax is paying off.

If you're going to get stitches in 15 minutes, should you waste money on bandages now?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Without the cold patch (which is terrible) a lot of roads would be totally impassible.

Its a known, emergency, stop gap method to get the city through a few weeks until a more permanent fix can be implemented.

Ive seen holes on keystone as well as Kessler that extended across the full lane, and were unavoidable. They were deep and long enough to drop you to your axle.

The cold patch is one level better than filling them with gravel.

Kinda like applying pressure to a wound. It might buy you time.

Oh I know why they do it (emergency short term fix) but it still bugs me. You would think that by now (how long has asphalt been around?) that they would've come up with something better. Maybe something involving a chemical reaction (which is why they can pour bridge footings under water)? I'm sure it would be more expensive, but if the cold patch has to be used 3, 4 or more times, is it really saving anything?

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.

It’s a process

INAP (I am not a paver) … but have owned a large paved area shall we say, and worked on projects of the same.

In your situation, apparently there were voids deeper than the desired start elevation of the future finish repave. Therefore “strip pave” the voided areas, roll it in, let it rest a short period while the natives run it in, then come back and mill to the desired elevation for the finish repave. Do the finish repave nice and smooth, everybody walks away smiling.

As an old paver once told me, “Laying asphalt is liking making the bed, whatever lumps or bumps are underneath, they will just come right on thru.”

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I also think regardless if they cold patch or hot patch, one key to making it stick is cleaning all the loose stuff out of the hole.
    Never done any asphalt patching. Based on my experience with any kind of adhesive or filler the surface has to be prepared first. I know dpw trucks carry brooms and even blowers to clean out the holes. Yet I have seen numerous crews pull shovel fuls of asphalt from the hot box and just trow it in the hole and the next guy tamps it down and the move to the next hole. For being a major city, our roads/interstates are terrible. I don't recall them ever being this bad

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I still don't understand why they bother with "cold patch" to repair potholes when they know that the first rain we get will wash it all away. Save the money from the cold patch and just do it right when able to do so. Fixing something for a week seems like a huge waste of money and time.

In my college days, I spent some summers working for the Indiana State Highway, and my local County Highway departments.
    Cold mix WILL work pretty well, IF it's applied right.

When I did it, I first got the loose stuff out of the chuckhole.
    Then filled the chuckhole with the PROPER amount of mix, so that when compressed, it was flat and even with the road.
    i.e. NOT an "inverted chuckhole".

And finished off by rolling back and forth over it with the truck until it was properly compressed.

The problem with cold mix is when they put too much in the chuckhole, then instead of backing over it to properly compress it, they just use one of those worthless hand tampers.
    Then they end up with a loose "inverted chuckhole" that's just as big a bump as it was, which in NO TIME just gets knocked out again.

I GOT so good at it in time, that I used to be accused by the Superintendent of "repaving the road by hand", and raking it just right so it would compress down flat and even.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis

Huh, usually its a utility company crew that cuts brand new pavement and lays a terrible patch.

edporch, you must be a long time Hoosier. You & me are the only people I know that call them chuckholes instead of pot holes.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m thrilled they did that section finally. It was getting quite miserable to traverse and my patience for drivers purposefully crossing the double yellows into oncoming traffic to avoid the holes is shot this year. I’m quite convinced they’d rather have a head collision if it means they get to be on a smooth section of the road when they do it.

I did notice that the paint lines they do before starting a section showed on Mitthiefer headed towards 30th street as well. Now if only they could get to 38th & German Church.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Used to haul mix/black top and during the winter months the asphalt plants shut down from around Thanksgiving till spring or around April so there isn't any asphalt being made.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Huh, usually its a utility company crew that cuts brand new pavement and lays a terrible patch.

edporch, you must be a long time Hoosier. You & me are the only people I know that call them chuckholes instead of pot holes.

Chuckhole, pot hole. . . . .I used to work with an old queer Cuban that once told me "a hole's a hole". .

Wait, wrong conversation. Never mind!:laugh:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I have 4 wheels bent and repaired from 2 very wide pot holes that you can't dodge at 61st and college last Feb, 2 weeks later destroyed 2 wheels beyond repair for a small but deep pothole on Kessler and Binford, and just 2 weeks ago blew a tire from a pothole at I65-I70 north split between near E Michigan st and E Vermont. So yeah, it's been a really expensive 2 months for me.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Yes, lived in Indiana all my life.
    When I worked in the summers for the highway department, some of the old timers called bad chuckholes "tire busters".

Funny how I'm now as old as many of them were.
    Where did the time go?

Top Bottom