What would you tell your high school self?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So a few weeks ago the principal at the high school I graduated from called me and asked me to be the speaker at this year’s graduation. Not a large school at all. I graduated in ‘05 with a class of 11 kids. This year’s class has 12. Could be 300-400 people at the ceremony this year so that will be interesting. I’ve never spoken to a crowd that large. Got me thinking what kind of wisdom I would share with my 18-year old self. How about you?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I thought I went to a small school. My graduating class was 36.

#1 Make sure all your credits from Western Michigan get accounted for properly and transferred. You'll graduate in December '92 instead of December '94 (or maybe not- working long hours for little pay while finishing off the final credits...again...was the best thing for me).

#2 On a bit less personal, more widely applicable note, I would plagiarize significant portions of this:

[video=youtube;CVEuPmVAb8o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o[/video]

jt1975

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Whiteland
    Go to College and study in pharmaceuticals, good money as a pharmacist with a long lasting career. Buy a bunch of the technology stocks then sell when high. Buy and invest into more firearms and ammo, lol

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Self discipline is the only discipline that really works. Get some of it. It's value to an individual is beyond measure.
    Learn to take care of your body now, when it's fairly easy to develop proper habits. Changing later will be a *****. Learn to tell yourself no.
    Most of the people I know who have money have it because they don't waste money. Learn to tell yourself no.
    People who don't succeed at something usually stop themselves. They talk themselves out of success. When you start talking yourself out of success, learn to tell yourself no.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    1. Lift weights, regularly. Cut out the carbs.
    2. Learn to laugh at yourself. The more you laugh at yourself, the less others will laugh at you
    3. Ask the girl out. Ask her to dance. The worst she can do is say "no". It won't be the end of the world.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Life is hard, anyone telling you otherwise is lying to you. You will be tried and you will be tested, by both people and circumstance. How you react to these trials and tribulations is what defines you.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Self discipline is the only discipline that really works. Get some of it. It's value to an individual is beyond measure.
    Learn to take care of your body now, when it's fairly easy to develop proper habits. Changing later will be a *****. Learn to tell yourself no.
    Most of the people I know who have money have it because they don't waste money. Learn to tell yourself no.
    People who don't succeed at something usually stop themselves. They talk themselves out of success. When you start talking yourself out of success, learn to tell yourself no.

This is very good advice.

Buy MSFT. Buy it asap. Buy all you can.

This is too, though to be fair buying it at anytime in the last 3 - 5 years would have worked out well.

On another note, I'd have told myself exactly what holster type was going to work for me... would have saved me a lot of time and money

Finally, I would have told myself to go to law school after finishing my bachelor's degree. I've done well (after many years), but have been more dependent on specific companies that I would have liked.

Another piece of advice I would have given myself is start saving today!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I thought I went to a small school. My graduating class was 36.

#1 Make sure all your credits from Western Michigan get accounted for properly and transferred. You'll graduate in December '92 instead of December '94 (or maybe not- working long hours for little pay while finishing off the final credits...again...was the best thing for me).

#2 On a bit less personal, more widely applicable note, I would plagiarize significant portions of this:

[video=youtube;CVEuPmVAb8o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o[/video]

That's a good video. I struggled with trying to get my son who graduated last year to understand trying to align your hard work with those areas where you have talent. Basically putting in the appropriate amount of work where you have talent... his problem had always been putting too much work into something that he was not appropriately talented in. That can be an amazingly difficult discussion to have with someone. That said, my son's work ethic is pretty amazing, but he could have achieved a lot more in some areas, had he cut back in others.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Long term debt will suck out your soul. Wait until you can pay for it...it's a hard lesson to learn and a harder one to crawl out from under. If you want what your parents have now...think about how long they took to accumulate it. Be patient, it will come; but you must work for it.

Top Bottom