• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Borrowing from Lebowski's "What are you listening to right now?" thread... I thought I'd see if there were any book-types around here that wanted to share and discuss what they were reading, or good books they've read in the past, or plan to read, etc.

3734744__f0856511d3e1798a4ebbd24b6556800e.jpg

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://www.amazon.com/1493-Uncovering-World-Columbus-Created-ebook/dp/B004G606EY

I read 1491 (https://www.amazon.com/1491-Second-...t&ie=UTF8&qid=1524599311&sr=1-1&keywords=1491) years ago when it first came out. It's basically the world up until Columbus. 1493 is the post-Columbus world and the affects the Columbian Exchange had on the global powers. The influx of silver from South America funding European Wars, becoming the base for Chinese currency which then collapsed and was a major factor in a Dynasty change, the potato and other South American crops greatly increasing yields in European crops, why African slaves were imported to the Americas and why Western/Central Africa (malaria resistance, if you're curious, other sources of cheap labor where cheaper but malaria kept killing them off), horses being introduced to the Americas, etc.

I'm to the point in the book now dealing with the Irish Potato Famine and Europe is getting ships of bird poo from "guano islands" off the coast of South America, an early high yield fertilizer.

Interesting trivia: Many types of potatoes are toxic. In order to safely eat them, the indigenous people eat powdered clay with the potato. The toxins bind to the clay and do not poison the person.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Currently reading "What the Hell did I just Read" by David Wong. The last of three in a series. I'd say it was a strange book but that would be an understatement.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ghost Wars by Steve Coll

Its amazing how the list of troublemakers in that part of the world 20+ years ago contains many of the same players today (excepting the ones taking a dirt nap)

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I'm a big fan of Gaiman. Check out "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" as well. I've never disliked anything I've read of his, but Ocean is my favorite.

Will do
    This is my first Gaiman, I usually read non-fiction and I had never heard of him until the TV series began. I watched a couple of episodes and decided that I needed to read the book before I watched anymore.
    I just finished listening, and I have to say I enjoyed the story.
    I'll see if "The Ocean" is available on hoopla, I have a ton of projects going on at the house so I'll need a lot of listening material.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Hillbilly Elegy.....A good book, especially for those of us in the Midwest with Kentucky roots....How deep those roots go....I remember reading it and thinking how many of the stories BBI and I could relate to.....

9k=
    Ron Howard is directing the film version...

ron-howard-hillbilly-elegy-book-2-shot.jpg
    [/QUOTE

I found myself thinking about folks that I knew growing up that reminded me of his descriptions of his family and friends.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Leave me to give the weeb answer.

Wife and I just finished the Spice & Wolf anime (I've seen it before, this is her first watch)

I'm reading the light novels (currently starting vol 5 of 20), as well as the manga (currently 6 of 16 or so). It's heavily rooted in mercantilism/capitalism/religious history, which I'm a big fan of. Enjoying it so far.

Also reading the mangas of 'Girls Last Tour' and a few others.

As far as books go... I've got a couple on my backlog: 'Paddle Your Own Canoe' by Nick Offerman, and the Steve Jobs book by Walter Isaccson.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just started Armada by Ernest Cline, the author of Ready Player One.

I just finished A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin, the second in the Game of Thrones series. My wife got me the set for Christmas but I needed a break after reading the first two. Those books are LONG. I always recommend the Jack Reacher books.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I finished The Road to Jonestown the other day. I can't decide who was more messed up, Jim Jones or the people that followed him.

Top Bottom