• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Woodworking peeps: Looking to replace the handle on my grandfather's hand saw. The wood as split, and will destroy your palm (or your gloves).

Getting ready to start a project with my kiddo, and want to use primarily hand tools.

Anyone know where to find such a thing? Used to just stop at the local hardware store, but they don't seem to carry anything like this any longer.

Zx3dLQZ.jpg

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I don't have any sources for new handles, I would be more inclined to repair the current handle or build a new one.

Here is a good article on repair work: Bad Axe Tool Works - Restoring a Handle, Part One

And here is a good tutorial on building a new handle: Lee Valley Tools - Woodworking Newsletter Vol. 1, Issue 5

And here's a trick I have used when gluing a split piece of wood: go to Tractor Supply and get a syringe and corresponding needles that are used for livestock. The cheap all-one-piece plastic glue syringes are designed where the "needle" tapers too much to get glue deep in the crack--I have found them useless for deep cracks. I can't remember what gauge needles I use, but Titebond II will flow pretty easily out of a standard livestock needle tip.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Rockwell may well have your only solution El, remember it's a disposable world we live in nowadays. It's amazing how many things there are in the world now that's cheaper to replace than repair. The GF LOVES giving me a hard time because I have one of those big nice stainless steel grills that Sam's sells. Huge cooking surface, side burner, rotisserie and a radiant heat burner as well as a tray for wood chips that has it's own burner. The reason she gives me a hard time over it is because I've replaced all the burners, cooking surfaces, etc with stainless steel replacement parts that cost more than the whole grill did new or that a similar model would cost new now. I just hate to throw stuff out that properly maintained will last forever!:xmad:

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Is there any chance as part of your project, take off the existing handle place it over a piece of 1X trace it and cut it out and sand it to your satisfaction?

Morgan88

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thanks for all the input, folks.

Doesn't look like Rockler or Woodcraft have what I need. My father-in-law took a look at it yesterday, and thinks he can make a new handle in his little woodshop. Trace it and cut it like mentioned above, and sand the edges. Thinks he has a solid piece of Maple the right thickness.

Since it will take him a LONG time (he is getting up in years), he is loaning me his old miter box and saw. I'll pick it up when I stop by to help my MIL with some yardwork later today.

Top Bottom