There are cars at the TRACK! Put away your guns and grab your beers!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    FYI, There are Indycars running at the Speedway today and the next two days.
    So put away your guns, grab your beers, and get your rear to Speedway Indiana.
    (Admission is free)

If your stuck at work, click the next link
    [video=youtube;1El2bGM8Sxw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1El2bGM8Sxw[/video]

(The following message is for Southern Indiana folks)
    Yes I said, CARS and TRACK, Not those puny four legged animals that carry an undersized human one stinking lap! What is the point in that?!?!?!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    (The following message is for Southern Indiana folks) Yes I said, CARS and TRACK, Not those puny four legged animals that carry an undersized human one stinking lap! What is the point in that?!?!?!

(Sigh), as usual the Canadians are confusing the Southern Paradise of Indiana with the great Commonwealth of Kentucky. But having said that, I will be in a suite at turn 1 three weeks from now eating fried chicken, BBQ and watchin the cars go fast and turn left. I love it when board meetings are at interesting places!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I began losing interest in most things IMS when the drivers could no longer be found in a dirt sprint car on Friday or Saturday nights around central Indiana. Whole different "flavor" today. YMMV.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup. And a driver with sponsor money doesn't need near as much talent to get a ride.

These cars do not require near the talent to drive that the older ones did. While a modicum of talent/balls is a good thing even Hiro Mashusta could wheel one of them. And he was no wheel man.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Back in the day, many of the cars that ran in the 500 were built in somebody's garage in or near the town of Speedway. With the exception of the Novis and a couple other less successful cars they all ran 4 cylinder Offenhauser engines. You can bet your house you will never see another car pushed into the qualification line with 5 cases of cold beer where the engine was supposed to be. Thanks Jim Hurtubise!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back in the day, many of the cars that ran in the 500 were built in somebody's garage in or near the town of Speedway. With the exception of the Novis and a couple other less successful cars they all ran 4 cylinder Offenhauser engines. You can bet your house you will never see another car pushed into the qualification line with 5 cases of cold beer where the engine was supposed to be. Thanks Jim Hurtubise!

I grew up in that area.....:cool:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Dirt track badass and indy 500 driver Bryan Clausen was a true driver and I believe would have eventualy won indy with the right car. He surely had the ability even led a lap during the 100th running. Sadly he was taken too young. An awesome driver and person and an awesome family.
    - BC FOREVER! RiP.
    Please become an organ donor like Bryan Clausen and save lives and help other families keep their loved ones after you leave this earth.
    https://registerme.org/campaign/bryanclauson

I think VERY soon you're gonna see another dirt track driver and possibly 2 come back to indy. People are ready to put their money and reputations on it. Would be awesome to see a dirt track indy 500 champion again.
    Also might be a dirt track being put into the IMS infield, like very soon

Last edited:

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    There's been a lot of great racing since then; but the 500 has had neither style nor class since the days when A J Foyt used to stick his arm out of the cockpit to warn the drivers in front of him that they were too ____ slow and he was going around. One way or the other.

Maybe it's still fun in the infield. Certainly it's comfortable in the boxes. But mostly it's just another way for people with too much money and spare time to blow both in front of the most people possible. Under a set of rules deliberately designed to keep people from going "too fast". While racing. Duh.

I'll be in the backyard grilling for the family and teaching the grandkids to shoot bows and BB guns. Now that's a Hoosier tradition worthy of Memorial Day.

Top Bottom