Improper display of the American flag ... what would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What would you do if you came across this flag display?

A restaurant in Normandy, France, displaying 7 national flags on 3 flag poles.

Would you find it offensive? Not eat there? Say something to the owner? :dunno:

HI155579113.jpg

[FONT=&amp]When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation.[/FONT]

Also the bonus question ... Can you ID each flag? :)

The city has the American flag properly displayed next to the beach 500 yards from that restaurant, along with three others national flags on separate flag polls.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Left: Canada, EU... maybe some Asian country? Le tricolore :) UK, then US.

In a foreign land, I wouldn't care. I've seen worse treatment here in the states.

Whether I'd eat there would depend on how good the sauce was for the oysters. ;)

ETA:
    Ah - just saw the one on the far left.

Belgium, Germany, and Holland?

I'm guessing this place is northern France or maybe even Belgium. Or Luxembourg.

ETA2:

BAH! I think I know the red and gold one now. If I'd thought about it in the context of the other flags there, I probably could've figured it out. :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Left: Canada, EU... maybe some Asian country? Le tricolore :) UK, then US.

In a foreign land, I wouldn't care. I've seen worse treatment here in the states.

Whether I'd eat there would depend on how good the sauce was for the oysters. ;)

ETA:
    Ah - just saw the one on the far left.

Belgium, Germany, and Holland?

I'm guessing this place is northern France or maybe even Belgium. Or Luxembourg.

ETA2:

BAH! I think I know the red and gold one now. If I'd thought about it in the context of the other flags there, I probably could've figured it out. :)

Yep, close enough.
    It's the flag of the Netherlands, Holland is a province of the Netherlands.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All national flags are supposed to be at the same height...but my greater concern would be whether the food was good.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    In the case of the picture, I probably wouldn't worry about it. The flags are in good condition and appear to be flown as respectfully as they can be considering the amount and location of the poles.

That being said, I have stopped at a local business that was flying a shredded US flag. Almost half of it was missing, no lights and was never lowered. I told them that I traveled that road everyday and I did not want to see that flag flying in that condition again. It was still up a week later. I stopped by Wmart and bought a new flag. After they were closed for the weekend I lowered their flag and brought it home, leaving the new flag on their door step. The new flag was flying the following week.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In the case of the picture, I probably wouldn't worry about it. The flags are in good condition and appear to be flown as respectfully as they can be considering the amount and location of the poles.

That being said, I have stopped at a local business that was flying a shredded US flag. Almost half of it was missing, no lights and was never lowered. I told them that I traveled that road everyday and I did not want to see that flag flying in that condition again. It was still up a week later. I stopped by Wmart and bought a new flag. After they were closed for the weekend I lowered their flag and brought it home, leaving the new flag on their door step. The new flag was flying the following week.

Nice.
    Most people clearly don't do it out of respect.

Over here it can be very windy so close to the sea and flags don't last very long if they are flawn all year around.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's Normandy. I would ask the owner, politely, if he had any very old Calvados. 20+ years ago, I shared a pre-war bottle with a friend on his estate late one evening. Very memorable night. His father had just died and he inherited the title Comte d' XXXXXX. A German Panzer fired round through the roof during the war, but the building survived pretty much as it had for centuries.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Yah, in a foreign country like that close to a place where so many men died to free them...I'd just be happy that they remember and have the flags flying. 7 flag poles for a business like that in a country where land is pricy....I wouldn't have much concern...other than as Hough said. Is the food good?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Seeing as it's in a foreign country, I wouldn't expect the same criteria as in the states. I wouldn't be offended or give it much thought. Enjoy the food and beverage and move on. :40oz:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Its not in the US and the US flag isn't on fire..... That's the modern equivalent of "American tourists are welcome!" signage. (Or so the us media would have us believe)

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    I vote with the majority. Yes, it's technically incorrect. But it's obviously not disrespectful. And I'm guessing [and would bet money on] that those flags represent the nationalities of those who fought the Nazi's in that location. Food for thought - not everyone who wants to show appreciation knows the proper rules of etiquette, or has money for all those flag poles. By all means check out the food and be a good guest.

And I would be very surprised if all of INGO's members had not seen an American flag improperly displayed here in our own country. I can name more than one high school here in IN that is guilty of this. Pet peeve of mine when visiting athletic events.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Given how ignorant people generally are of flag code. As long as it looked good and was respectful, and it was obvious there was no ill intent, I wouldn't have an issue. If it was stateside, I'd make a comment to the owner, of the flag, of how improper and potentially offensive it would appear to many people.

Top Bottom