• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Share your crazy inheritance stories.

We did as requested per the will and it's been almost ten months and my wife's brother and family has not talked to us.

im ok with it, but I've noticed my wife has concerns being alone. The word from that side of the family is we influenced my FIL and mil to steal everything from him. We are debating going scorched earth to set the facts straight on what really happened. My wife has written a beautiful timeline of what really transpired.

It is devastating , and I don't think she will do it because it will only make things worse.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having this same experience sometimes things just need to get worse. It steams my broccoli when folks run their pie holes as to bad info.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My mom died with over $200,000 she inherited from her spinster sister. All was divided between the 9 grandchildren for education expenses and invested (mostly in 529 accounts). All of our children that have degrees have no debt. That's real freedom. No argument, no drama.

But my wife's family:
    Her brother the executor (the youngest and least responsible, but also the only male) brought her and her sisters the last page of the will and had them sign it. They never even saw the will. He had been sponging off their parents for years and perhaps saw the gravy train running our of steam. We still have no idea what was in the estate (not much AFAIK), but the wife is not willing to endanger her family relationships over that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is why my friend and I are executors of the other's estate - 3rd party with no vested interest other than doing things right to honor a friend.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    21 years ago each of my kids inherited 20 grand. We invested it aggressively and all three have no college debt. My BIL took his two kids money and used it to purchase a new house. His kids have $140,000 in debt.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Got an inheritance and the process of doling out everything was easy. There was a safe deposit box at issue that I was closest to geographically so I got to empty it. I opened it, and there was a sealed envelope. Inside that envelope was....a hand drawn picture of a hand giving the middle finger.

It remains an enduring family mystery, and one of the most surprisingly funny things I have ever experienced.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    A will is not sufficient. Even with a will, probate can take over and take a year or two eating away at the estate before deciding who gets what. If there's an estate with any cash value, it needs to be in a trust. There it can be nailed down and nobody can tamper with it. The trustee is like the will of the person survived, and as such can allocate the estate as the person would have, then go away.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My dad and his wife made me the executor to their estate because they don't trust her kids as much as they trust me, I guess. This will get interesting if/when I have to deal with it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    When my maternal grandmother passed I and a cousin (the two youngest of the families) received notice that we were the beneficiaries of a life insurance policy from one of her previous employers. We didn't know if it would be enough to buy a car or get a carwash. Ended up being around $500 each. We each took our families out to dinner to celebrate her life.

For me personally though, it will get interesting. I am single, on the wrong side of 50, and have no children. My nieces and nephews have successful parents and as hard as I try to get my folks to spend their money, the five kids will all share a bit. I don't plan or think about it though. Having said that, I am having fun planning on my demise and dispersal of my estate. I am not rich by any means but will have funds to give away. I am planning on establishing a couple scholarships in my parents' names (they were both educators), with the bulk of the rest going to various local charities.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My wife's father had bought some land in the mountains of PA with his 2 brothers, built a cabin on it, and used it as a hunting retreat. They had agreed to pass it on to their male heirs. That ended up being my wife's brother and one cousin. The girls all thought it was sexist and were pissed that they weren't included, but lived with it.

A few years later my wife's brother suddenly starts getting notices from a bank about his overdue mortgage. Somehow, the cousin had succeeded in taking out loans against the property without his knowledge. He ended up losing the property, and it cost him a bunch of legal fees to get it straightened out that he wasn't responsible for repaying the accumulated interest on the loans.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    When my grandma died years ago, my uncle (her last remaining child) wanted us all to go out to eat after her funeral. There was maybe 15-20 of us, and we all went to Ryans buffet. Before we went into the restaurant, my uncle huddled us all together in the parking lot and says “I just wanted to let you all know, mom had a little money left, and I’m gonna split it up equally amongst all of us”. We were all surprised, nobody figured my grandma had much, and then my uncle continued “when I say mom had a little money left, I mean a LITTLE money, $288 dollars to be exact, so I’m buying lunch, enjoy your inheritance”! :):

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    My dad wasn't broke, but didn't have much. My brother and I ended up splitting the proceeds of a ****ty rental house sale and some IRA money. Chase bank made it a little harder by trying to say we weren't the beneficiaries. Since there were only two of us and we had all of the paperwork it was pretty easy to handle.

The problem has been with our mom. They divorced 18 years ago and she wanted to know what she got out of the deal. We weren't on good terms in the first place, that really pushed her out.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    My family lives in Ohio, I am in Indy. When my mother died everything was split except for me. I didn't get a tea spoon or table napkin. Got to love the siblings. Karma will come back though. I am pretty well off with no wife or kids. After burial EVERYTHING goes to the NRA.:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    My dad's stepdad passed away after my grandmother so my dad's half-siblings inherited the family farm. Instead of working together each of them stripped the house and barns of everything of value. All appliances gone. Faucets gone. Radiator and a/c condenser out of his truck gone. Chainsaws and tools gone. 4 years of bitter fighting and accusations later they finally settled and sold the property. The few hundred dollars they got for what they stole cost them $30,000-40,000.

The rest of us that got nothing just sat back and laughed, not letting ourselves be pulled into the BS.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My dad's stepdad passed away after my grandmother so my dad's half-siblings inherited the family farm. Instead of working together each of them stripped the house and barns of everything of value. All appliances gone. Faucets gone. Radiator and a/c condenser out of his truck gone. Chainsaws and tools gone. 4 years of bitter fighting and accusations later they finally settled and sold the property. The few hundred dollars they got for what they stole cost them $30,000-40,000.

The rest of us that got nothing just sat back and laughed, not letting ourselves be pulled into the BS.

When people have/work for nothing and they see something it is a free for all. I have seen it 1st hand. Ridiculous. Idiocy. Tripping over $10 bills to fight for quarters.
    Our family farm was stripped away much the same way. Step mom outlived great grand dad. Her douche bag kids (there are several things I would like to call them.....but) raided the place. She went through the estate in a few years and had to sell off the property. She was quick to stop any of us from coming on the land for any reason. So very sad to see.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I work with auto dealers, and I have seen more than one family torn apart by poor estate planning. The things I’ve seen sons and daughters do to their mothers and fathers in order to get their money and business would make you sick, including having an affair with the executor of a trust...90% of the time it’s kids who have never worked a day in their life and had six figure allowances. Usually they dump the business for cash or run it into the ground until they are bankrupt or the OEM takes it back.

There is no amount of money I could fathom that would push me to make my mother broke and homeless. The worst part for me is I have to deal with this people and keep a smile on my face.

On on a lighter note, my sister once asked my dad, after I told a story about a dealership, how he was going to split up his estate...he said I’m having so much fun in my retirement that god willing there won’t be anything left to split up!

Top Bottom