• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    Tragic loss. It breaks my heart when fellow Marines, Army in this case being from Georgia are killed in training accidents. Combat is one thing but accidents just don't give them a chance. Prayers to them and families.:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    At least 5 people perished. As Luger stated, prayers to the family's and those affected but this.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    They launched out of SAV, but were Puerto Rico ANG. They were on their way to DM in Tucson, AZ.

Here's to the dead already, and huzzah for the next man to die.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Turns out the plane was on its last flight to the bone yard at DM, it was a 60yr old Herc. Reports make it sound like it lost power or was being flown too slow, it stalled and pancaked into the highway. Will need to wait for the crash investigation to find out why.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Turns out the plane was on its last flight to the bone yard at DM, it was a 60yr old Herc. Reports make it sound like it lost power or was being flown too slow, it stalled and pancaked into the highway. Will need to wait for the crash investigation to find out why.

Watch the video of it going in before believing news reports. If nose pointed straight down is "pancaked" then the report is accurate, which it isn't. Sad watching people in their last moments of life. May they rest in peace.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Okay, went from the reports and hadn't seen the video. Obviously not a stall but a catastrophic failure of some kind.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    [video=youtube;ZdE5xCD5aLc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdE5xCD5aLc[/video]

Talked to some pilots I know. They described it as a VMC rollover (aka Stall/Spin). Plane lost power on one side and had too much power on the other. Not enough Rudder authority to keep the plane going in a straight line. Not enough airspeed to keep the plane in the air. At the very bottom of the plunge, the plane transitions into a flat spin configuration. Not enough airspeed, altitude or options and it pancaked into the ground.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looks exactly like what Snoop is describing, plane went below Vmc. One of the hardest things to do with twins is to close the throttle on the good engine when below Vmc, it's the only way to maintain control.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Has anyone seen a tail number or model? I read 60 years old but I don't think it was that old. Active duty ditched the E-Models (early 1960s) a while back. Quick search and PR ANG flies the WC-130H. H-Models are not 60 years old.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Has anyone seen a tail number or model? I read 60 years old but I don't think it was that old. Active duty ditched the E-Models (early 1960s) a while back. Quick search and PR ANG flies the WC-130H. H-Models are not 60 years old.

31902025_1640909739291174_6414049678186250240_n.jpg

Sad side note for me ... This crew flew several paradrop missions for the US Army Airborne School at Ft. Benning. It's possible this aircrew flew a paradrop mission for my son while he was at airborne school.

The 1-507th wants to express our condolences to the families and friends of our friends we lost in the tragic incident yesterday. The crew that was lost yesterday in the C-130 crash outside of Savannah has been confirmed as the crew that not only served multiple paradrop missions with us, but the same crew that flew in another retired C-130 from the fleet for the Airborne School. We will do our best to honor their memory and place their names on the outside of this future hulk trainer. The crew signed the aircraft as its last crew both on the nose and inside the aircraft. Hopefully we can isolate that piece of the aircraft and get it back to the wing, the families and the people of Puerto Rico. Rest In Peace, and we can only hope that pain and grief experienced by the families; both blood and in uniform is assuaged by memories of better days.

The bird that our fallen crew helped get to Fort Benning, and some of their signatures on the exterior of the aircraft. The navigator did sign the fuselage so we will cut that piece out and send it back to Puerto Rico. We will frame the other photo of the rest of the crew’s signatures in a plaque for the air wing and families.

MAJ José R. Román Rosado: Pilot with 18 years of service.
    MAJ Carlos Pérez Serra: Navigator with 23 years of service.
    1LT David Albandoz: Co-Pilot with 16 years of service.

SMSgt Jan Paravisini: Mechanic with 21 years of service.
    MSgt Jean Audriffred: 16 years of service.
    MSgt Mario Braña: Flight Engineer with 17 years of service.
    MSgt Víctor Colón: 22 years of service
    MSgt Eric Circuns: Loadmaster with 31 Years of Service.

SRA Roberto Espada: Three years of service.

Rest In Peace gentlemen, until we loadout again on high.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I heard it was an H model 50 years old? But that was local news here. Which would be possible, I think the Hotel model was a late 60’s early 70’s model?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I heard it was an H model 50 years old? But that was local news here. Which would be possible, I think the Hotel model was a late 60’s early 70’s model?

The H Models I remember were from the 70s. I read Lockheed built the H from 64-96. The 5 digit tail numbers only give the last digit of the year of manufacture, so the aircraft (thanks for the pic, Wild Deuce) could be a 65, 75, 85, or 95.

Edit: please note this is the C-130H Hercules, not the H Farmall :D

The Hurricane Hunters at Keesler went to J Models quite a while back. 6-bladed props make them easy to spot.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The H Models I remember were from the 70s. I read Lockheed built the H from 64-96. The 5 digit tail numbers only give the last digit of the year of manufacture, so the aircraft (thanks for the pic, Wild Deuce) could be a 65, 75, 85, or 95.

Edit: please note this is the C-130H Hercules, not the H Farmall :D

The Hurricane Hunters at Keesler went to J Models quite a while back. 6-bladed props make them easy to spot.
    Being NG, and Puerto Rico, my guess would be ‘65. And that is probably “new” to them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Big topic of discussion last night at martial arts last night as a couple of our older guys have dozens and dozens of jumps out of 130s.

Thanks for the technical explanation upthread.

Smoke and prayers to the families.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Is that common with National Guard units... having equipment that old?
    Yes, although the GWOT has sped up fielding of newer equipment to the NG and ARmy Reserve, they still use old and leftover Big Green Army/ Big Blue AF equipment. SomeArmy Reserve MP units still had 141’s (Jeeps) into the 90’s and didn’t receive M9’s until almost 2000.

Top Bottom