• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We have a nest on an outdoor speaker and they are getting big. One fell out or was pushed out. Seems to have a broken wing. Any ideas? He’s now in a box outside and appears hungry.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I think you have to eat a worm and regurgitate it into the bird's mouth.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I try but I always swallow my gum too, hard to keep it in there

update: it knocked the box over and was back on the ground. Seems both wings work and maybe it was trying to shed heat. Now in a larger box under the nest. Parents quite loud. Not sure I should toss back in nest since three other birds there and not much room

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I try but I always swallow my gum too, hard to keep it in there

update: it knocked the box over and was back on the ground. Seems both wings work and maybe it was trying to shed heat. Now in a larger box under the nest. Parents quite loud. Not sure I should toss back in nest since three other birds there and not much room

Hard telling, might have fallen out, might have been pushed out, nature and all of that.
    You could mark it somehow, whiteout or marker on a foot and put it back in the nest and see what happens, that way if it's the same one on the ground again you'll have the answer.

[video=youtube;Ge4oufdIOMc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4oufdIOMc[/video]

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    We had a baby robin that fell out of the nest, the parents were pissed swarming around us. My wife picked it up, and put it in a bush near the nest. The mom and dad chilled out and the bird was able to be saved until it could fly. That big, the baby is trying to fly too early. You could put it IN the nest, but odds are the parents will freak from the scent and try to move the nest. Put it near the nest, while mom and pop are watching. Don't approach the nest.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Doc your hearts in the right place but nature is going to nature.......I am certain there was a Disney show back in the 1960's that taught us that lesson...:)

1212_a01610228fe998f515a72dd730294d87.jpg

"More than 40 years would pass before Sterling North, by then a successful newspaperman, wrote down the story of this friendship. He describes how his furry companion, lacking a mother to teach him, nevertheless acquired the hunting and fishing skills he would need when he returned to life in the wild"

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    He is close to flying, we can save him! I have some cat food softening up and a medicine dropper :): kids will enjoy the project but understand the likely end point. I had a gutted rabbit in my back yard yesterday after a night of weird noises

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Birds have no sense of smell. They cannot know if the nestling was handled by people. Put it back in the nest. That will be the best course of action for all concerned.

Uh . . . are you sure?

Carrion feeders like vultures have notoriously keen olfactory senses. Robins may be among those species with minimally functional smellers, but some species do smell.

Top Bottom