• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My daughter bought a 2013 Ford Focus last fall. The tranny started acting strange this week so I took to Ford for service...long story short it needs new clutch plates (automatic Powershift Tranny) because the seals fail in these transmissions. Well Ford said it is not covered under any recall or warranty and is around $2000 to fix. I picked the car up, came home and googled it and found out there was lawsuits over this and Ford lost and must pay, but they are appealing and no claims will be paid until after appeal. Under settlement I should get around $2750 if I become part of the class action. So before I signed up for the settlement I called Ford and asked them if they could help resolve it without me having to become part of lawsuit. The lady asked me what I wanted to resolve issue. I told her I didn't want anything extra, just for them to fix the car even though I know another 50-60K miles it will do it again(According to Ford mechanic). They called dealership then started a claim for me. They have to review information and will either approve or not and contact me within 48 hours.

Any bets on whether they pay the $1750 now(which is really about $800 to them) or deny claim and force me to get them for $2750+?

Any of you ever dealt with something like this? What can a guy do. We are about to see just what Ford is made of.......

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A friend of mine went through this with his Focus. He "just" missed being able to lemon-law his car. Ford bought it back for exactly what was owed on it. He bought a Civic and has been happy as a clam.

I can't remember - did you have a thread about this car when the purchase was being contemplated?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I can relate, it's a crap car and Ford doesn't care that they produced a POS. Only got it because I've always had great luck from ford and I wanted something with good gas mileage. I washed my hands of Ford because of this matter. I missed out on lemon laws cause the issues were spread out and ford covered a lot of stuff under warranty. Ford refused to idea of buying the car back from me due to the miles on the car

I bought one brand new in 2013, was a fine car...for the first 8 months.

When I got rid of it last fall, here's all that had been done to it/ VERY short summary of what happened

1) 4 clutch replacements (all warranty)

2) Power steering went out at 60,000 miles on the freaking dot, in Nashville Tennessee (I had to drive to Nashville to pick it up too once it was complete, they wouldn't even haul it to Bowling Green or Louisville as a courtesy....plus Midd Tenn Ford didn't set my steering wheel level either and I refused to pay for someone else to do it). Also, this is NOT covered under any normal factory warranty. The only reason this didn't cost me $1600+ was because I bought some full coverage warranty so all I had the deductible to pay. Nice little surprise driving 4.5 hours to Nashville to have to pay $109

3) Was under a recall for over a year because of the locks....the doors could possibly magically open during driving. But Ford didn't have a fix for it and when they did dealers were months out on fixing them. From the time I got the letter till the time it was finally fixed was over a year

I kept a log about all the stuff that went on with it. Crap factory tires that blew out with less than 8k miles on them, shifting like crap, you could stand on the gas and have 0 acceleration (which happened numerous times on the interstate and almost got me rear-ended I can't tell how many times. Or on the interstate and it would refuse to change gears and you'd have to pull off, hoping not to get hit, turn the engine off and give it a few minutes and hope it would be normal again.

It was ALWAYS under recall for something.

Car is a POS, sell it, shoot it, blow it up, sue Ford, anything is better than keeping ownership of it. Serously get rid of it asap and get a Honda or Toyota if you want a car with good mileage

Slap one of these on it and be done with it

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.u1.png

https://www.redbubble.com/people/parodywagon/works/15465031-ford-lemon-car-or-truck-yellow?p=sticker

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    A friend of mine went through this with his Focus. He "just" missed being able to lemon-law his car. Ford bought it back for exactly what was owed on it. He bought a Civic and has been happy as a clam.

I can't remember - did you have a thread about this car when the purchase was being contemplated?

I sure did. I was concerned because it had been towed by RV. Come to find out, that was the least of my worries. I may have been warned in that thread....can't remember.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It's not just Ford. I gave up on GM after battling them over their 3.4L V6 and it's infamous intake gasket. They knew they were bad. Every mechanic in North America knew they were bad. Every owner of one would find out, sooner or later, that they were bad. But GM refused to own up to it.:rolleyes:

Other than my 1997 Chevy truck, which I'll probably own until it turns to dust, my family fleet is either made by Toyota or Honda. I don't see that changing.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My 2017 escape has been in the shop 4 times for faulty wipers within the first year of ownership. If it does it again and ford buysback I'll be going hyundai.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    My 2007 Focus has 195,000 miles on it and still runs well. Only major issue was replacing the alloy wheels with steel wheels, after the famous Indiana potholes bent all four rims. I am on really good terms with the Service Staff at my local Ford dealer. They even say newer model Focus has a craptastic transmission/clutch.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    There’s a reason Ford’s future is in trucks. I will keep buying Super Duty’s until they quit making them. On the other hand, my brother’s 2008 Focus is falling apart with less than 100k miles on it. Makes me even happier with my 2017 Corolla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My 2007 Focus has 195,000 miles on it and still runs well. Only major issue was replacing the alloy wheels with steel wheels, after the famous Indiana potholes bent all four rims. I am on really good terms with the Service Staff at my local Ford dealer. They even say newer model Focus has a craptastic transmission/clutch.

Yeah, this issue didn't start until like 2012 or 2013 in Focus's. I think it is best Ford stops making cars...love them Ford SD trucks though.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    My sis-in-law was looking at a pair of 2013 Focuses (Foci?) a couple of years back. One was a stick, one was the auto. Thank goodness she didn't end up with that Powershift dumpster fire.

On a semi-related note, my mother-in-law had an Escape with less than 5,000 miles on it and had some tranny problems. Two days after the tranny was swapped, the driveshaft fell off as she was going to the grocery. I about died laughing.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thank you for contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Center regarding your recent vehicle concern.
    We have thoroughly reviewed your request and after careful consideration we regret that Ford is not able to provide financial assistance to address your issue.

We are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations at this time and recommend you continue to work with your Ford dealership to provide the best service for your vehicle in the future.

Thank you again for contacting Ford.

So now I guess I have to join lawsuit, have repairs done, and wait for lawsuit appeal to end and take it from there. I was seriously thinking of buying a new F250 they had at Andy Mohr, think I will wait now. Screw Ford.....

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My dad bought domestic once when we were kids. Sold the Datsun 210 and bought an olds cutlass Sierra brand new. We picked up and headed to In from NJ. At 422 miles, at night, in mountains of PA the entire front right wheel assembly fell off at highway speed. Somehow my dad didn’t wreck. Made dealer reverse sale and bought a Honda. Ran 15 years and 260,000 Miles before my brother traded it

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    This really makes me want to get out of my Mustang. Not standing behind your product is BS and I haven't seen much out of them in regards to small issues let alone the big ones.

Top Bottom