• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    We've got a feeder on a shepherds hook out by the back fence. In the last couple weeks, I've noticed that the seed is nearly gone in a day, but we don't see that many birds. The other evening, my dog went nuts so I let him out. Turns out, there was a coon standing on the fence, pulling the feeder to him and snarfing up the seed. Can't plug the coon, too many houses behind us and I don't want him to die in my yard or right behind me. So my son and I have a plan. Next time we see him, he's getting lit up with the paintball gun.

Does this seem like a reasonable way of dealing with our seed bandit?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Could you not move the bird feeder a foot or two away from the fence?

However, barring CCI Quiet, I like the paintball idea.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    My old house backed up to a retention pond. Couldn't walk on the yard without stepping in goose ****. Let's just say we had some of the most colorful geese in Hamilton County before they finally learned to **** somewhere else.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Mix Cayenne powder with your bird seed. It doesn't bother the birds but most critters hate it. I know it keeps the deer and squirrels out of ours.

Of course you could be the lucky guy with Cajun Coon.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Moving the feeder a bit seems the easiest option.

I used stove pipe and caps to build baffles on the pole and moved mine far enough away from trees, fences, etc. that squirrels can't jump on them. Probably work for any other mammals thieving the seed.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    i thought about moving the feeder a bit more inside the fence, but I don't want the dog scaring off the birds either. In addition to that, you almost need a piledriver to put the damn thing in the ground (thanks to lovely backfill of junk dirt by our home builder).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    i thought about moving the feeder a bit more inside the fence, but I don't want the dog scaring off the birds either. In addition to that, you almost need a piledriver to put the damn thing in the ground (thanks to lovely backfill of junk dirt by our home builder).

Long run, it's worth it. If it's not the raccoon, it'll be squirrels.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Paintball......I like it but if you are unlucky enough to have a girley man neighbor or a pita supporter close by you will be in the **** for cruelty. Ask me how I know.....:(

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We've got a feeder on a shepherds hook out by the back fence. In the last couple weeks, I've noticed that the seed is nearly gone in a day, but we don't see that many birds. The other evening, my dog went nuts so I let him out. Turns out, there was a coon standing on the fence, pulling the feeder to him and snarfing up the seed. Can't plug the coon, too many houses behind us and I don't want him to die in my yard or right behind me. So my son and I have a plan. Next time we see him, he's getting lit up with the paintball gun.

Does this seem like a reasonable way of dealing with our seed bandit?

You're not going to get it to go away permanently by pelting it with paintballs. It will just be more careful about when it returns. Do yourself and all of your neighbors a favor and eliminate the threat.

1. Live trap.
    2. Transport to a location within your county where you can euthanize it with a .22LR to the head.
    3. There are alternative euthanizing methods you can use on your property as well.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3364.htm

Resident landowners and tenants can trap a raccoon that is causing damage on their own property without a permit from the DNR. The raccoon must be euthanized or released within the county of capture on private property in which you have permission to release the raccoon. In order to prevent the spread of disease, the DNR encourages homeowners to safely and humanely euthanize the raccoons, if possible. If you do not want to trap the raccoon yourself, contact a licensed nuisance wild animal control operator.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Moving the feeder a bit seems the easiest option.

I used stove pipe and caps to build baffles on the pole and moved mine far enough away from trees, fences, etc. that squirrels can't jump on them. Probably work for any other mammals thieving the seed.
    :yesway: Six inch stove pipe 2 feet long, capped on one end only. Put it on pole cap side up. Secure from underneath with a tube or hose clamp so that the pipe can swing. They can't hug it and they don't like it swinging so they won't team up on each others backs to reach the feeder. I WANT TO SEE PAINTBALL PICS!!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have the little live trap for the squirrels and the big live trap for raccoons, cats, possums, etc. I've almost lured a squirrel in to its demise, haven't had a coon yet this year. I don't remember what I did to drive off the coon I had last year, but he didn't stay around. Next squirrel I get* I'm going to keep the head on the pelt so I can make a quad copter out of him.

* Nuisance wildlife

Top Bottom