• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    How do the products know when the warranty expires? Riding mower took a ........today spent a few hours just cutting the front yard with a push mower. I have had a cub cadet that lasted about 5 years then the deck rusted out. Then a Husk varna lasted about 5 years.Maintenance done kept inside.

What brand have you had good luck with? Thinking about going with a zero turn this time. Torn between buying a cheapo and a decent one, we had a tractor supply low end one that lasted 10 years.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have had deere riding mowers that have lasted over 20 years. These were garden tractors, and not the lawn tractors that they sell at home depot. The garden tractors are much heavier built. I would also look at Kubota. I would stay away from cub cadet, mtd, craftsman, etc. They just won't last. Also, clean your deck. The grass stuck to the bottom will hold moisture and rot your deck out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A female goat lives 12-20 years.

And if you get lonely... :naughty: :laugh: Wait, wrong part of the world. nevermind.

I'll be in the market for a rider soon. Probably go with a Deere.

The dealer sourced models are solid. I grew up with them and they will easily last 10 years with proper maintenance. My mom swears by them. Not sure of the big box model quality.

They are of course nowhere what they used to be. But thats across the board.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a 30 year old Craftsman (Murray) rear engine rider. It's a cantankerous old beast, but it gets the job done year after year.

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    What's your budget?

I haven't looked into new riding mowers for a long time but I'm betting the quality isn't there. You definitely get what you pay for.

If you want a John Deere I'd get an old one that came from a dealer, not a big box store.

I have a 1993 Cub Cadet. It's still going strong. The new Cubs definitely aren't built like mine.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Goats need food...
    Yes they do however they do not eat grass, they eat brush, weeds , wild onions, etc when we mow their areas the grass is the only thing that for the most part goes untouched by the goats.

Back to the mower we bought the last one at Lowe's we let them know it had hail damage on the hood they said they would order a new hood, they never did. So we just say no to Lowe's.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    What's your budget?

I haven't looked into new riding mowers for a long time but I'm betting the quality isn't there. You definitely get what you pay for.

If you want a John Deere I'd get an old one that came from a dealer, not a big box store.

I have a 1993 Cub Cadet. It's still going strong. The new Cubs definitely aren't built like mine.

Big box "John Deere" and "Cub Cadet" are not real John Deere's or Cub Cadets, they are generic mowers from MTD painted JD green and CC beige/yellow.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've gotten 14 years out of a Craftsman. The one I have now is a Troybilt Bronco. It's 5 years old and unless I run over something that won't go threw the shoot, :-( It's been fine. I replaced the battery for the first time this year. I think it and the Craftsman are nothing more then a rebranded MTD. I think they are great.

My yard is fairly large ( nearly 3 acres) and hard on the mowers. My land is not very level. The biggest POS we ever bought was a Honda. Only got about 3 years out of it before it fell apart.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yes they do however they do not eat grass, they eat brush, weeds , wild onions, etc when we mow their areas the grass is the only thing that for the most part goes untouched by the goats.

Back to the mower we bought the last one at Lowe's we let them know it had hail damage on the hood they said they would order a new hood, they never did. So we just say no to Lowe's.
    If it wasn’t for dandelions and weeds, I wouldn’t have a yard!

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    All low end mowers are manufactured in one of a handful of plants and all these plants are part of the same entity. Many share parts no matter the name on the hood. A cheap zero turn with a stamped steel deck is even worse junk than a cheap lawn tractor no matter the so-called brand name. One of the largest plants in this group is in North Carolina. If you go there you can even take a tour. You'll be amazed at all the different brands being shipped from there. Unless you intend to spend at least 7 grand or more the quality is all going to be about the same these days.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Our Husqvarna lasted exactly 71 hours before the motor let go. Cheap Chinese Kohler imitation piece of junk! I picked up a well used B&S and installed it in place of the chinese POS and now have over 400 hours on the unit.

Sadly though, last week our considerably more expensive Ferris ZTR developed an engine noise that can only be described as sounding a lot like the word "expensive".:crying:

Top Bottom