• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Yesterday the Mormon Church announced that as of Dec 31 2019, they will be canceling all affiliation with the Boy Scouts of America. In 2016 it was reported the LDS church made up almost 40% of the nations scouting units, and had over 435,000 youth members.

This will be interesting to see how the management team at national will handle the news.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since the current organization is changing their name, perhaps the LDS can take over the old name and set up a new organization that is more in line with the rules and practices of the BSA of old.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Is there any chance they (BSA) were in between a rock and a hard place? Haven't they been sued into oblivion? The current and past directors of the Boy Scouts may have seen no way out? As said above. "what a shame" From a former Cub Scout. Still have my uniform badges and handbook. Good rules and direction for life?

Morgan88

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I've predicted that the boy (person) scouts will fail and go under. This just reaffirms my prediction .

I cannot agree more.

The allowances they made, accessions they caved to and now this - what parent would be in their right mind to allow their son into this organization. TIN FOIL HAT: Sometimes I wonder if the far left is building their support groups from the remnants of "mainstream" and "right" leaning organizations.

They have taken a positive model and turned it into a "man-bun".

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've predicted that the boy (person) scouts will fail and go under. This just reaffirms my prediction .

mission_accomplished_baby.jpg

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I cannot agree more.

The allowances they made, accessions they caved to and now this - what parent would be in their right mind to allow their son into this organization. TIN FOIL HAT: Sometimes I wonder if the far left is building their support groups from the remnants of "mainstream" and "right" leaning organizations.

They have taken a positive model and turned it into a "man-bun".

As the parent of a current scout, my experience has been that 99% of a Scout’s experiences are coming from the local levels of the organization. What national BSA does down in Dallas has almost nothing to do with Scout life in a troop here in central Indiana. Fantastic life skills and lessons still to be had and that comes out of the local leadership and other scouting families in our troop.

I disagree with the decisions and directions made by national but selfishly I’m most concerned about my son’s development and maturation at this point. If our experiences sour we will leave but right now that’s not the case.

And I do consider myself in my right mind.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    It's about ****ing time. :rockwoot:

So after the Neutral-Gender Scouts drift out on the Titanic will the Mormons start (restart) the Boy Scouts but with some Unchangeable Rules?

r8q267z.jpg

******* always screw things up!

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Is there any chance they (BSA) were in between a rock and a hard place? Haven't they been sued into oblivion? The current and past directors of the Boy Scouts may have seen no way out? As said above. "what a shame" From a former Cub Scout. Still have my uniform badges and handbook. Good rules and direction for life?

Morgan88

No chance whatsoever. All they needed was to have a backbone.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    If our experiences sour we will leave but right now that’s not the case.

And I do consider myself in my right mind.

I certainly understand, and and although I may not agree with you, respect with your decision.

My take is this. We all need to take a stand at some point. Personally, I will not go to Disney, have to be dragged into Target.....stuff like that. Do I disrespect those who do go? Not at all. We all have our battles and decide how to face those battles. At some point we all need to say "enough". Some reach that level before others and some have different tolerances for each.

I'm all right also!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Well, speaking frankly.... I'm not so sure I'd let my son be a Boy Scout, even if it was still only boys allowed. Scout Leaders creep me out. Seeing a grown man in a Scouting outfit has never really sat well with me.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Well, speaking frankly.... I'm not so sure I'd let my son be a Boy Scout, even if it was still only boys allowed. Scout Leaders creep me out. Seeing a grown man in a Scouting outfit has never really sat well with me.

This kinda

I have seen some interesting scout leaders, once went on a canoeing trip and had to save both of the fat scout leaders from drowning.

I am sure with some great scout leaders it would be ok, as a organization they suck and are super liberal, my boy will learn more from me then he ever could with that joke of a organization.

Just more reason to take time and do more camping, fishing, and living.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    No one is more influential or responsible for his maturation and development than you are.

Completely agree. We don’t expect our school, our church, our friends, or our neighbors to raise an outstanding young man. That’s on us. But part of our responsibility is to provide him access to new experiences and ideas, different learning environments, and lots of chances to be responsible for himself. Scouts is one of the ways we do that. Same as sports, educational trips, vacations....IMHO its part of raising a well rounded youth...lots of different developmental opportunities. And to ensure the values we hold to are aligned with these opportunities I volunteer. I have been a Coach, Cub Scout leader, and Boy Scout volunteer now.

Too many kids kids right now do nothing but school, maybe one sport, and then video games. I’ll continue to evaluate what opportunities we want to provide him and for now at least scouting at the local level is an outstanding opportunity.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Pretty easy prediction to make. They've been having serious membership declines for decades, and the trend has accelerated over the past 10 years. They have roughly half the members they did in the 1970s. Girl Scouts have the same problem. They've lost about 1/3 of their membership over the past 15 years, and that trend is also accelerating.

Changing demographics, more urbanization of kids, etc. Tough trend to turn around.

Top Bottom