Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That was my entire point.

1) Furnace......start it up.

2) Fireplace.......build a fire.

Once they leave find the point of entrance and repair.
    Also if in the country set in ambush.

It's a gas fireplace. Would it be ok to light for a few minutes with the flu closed if I open some windows?

Or maybe just try tapping on the flu door with a hammer to scare them out?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You on the right, solution on the left.

31J.gif

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    20 years ago I had the problem in unused chimney. I poured an ounce or so of bleach down the chimney. The mama racoon immediately removed her babies from the chimney and moved elsewhere. I plugged the chimney top.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The old neighbor had a family of coons in his chimney. We lit some firecrackers and dropped down on them. They left that night.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    20 years ago I had the problem in unused chimney. I poured an ounce or so of bleach down the chimney. The mama racoon immediately removed her babies from the chimney and moved elsewhere. I plugged the chimney top.

The old neighbor had a family of coons in his chimney. We lit some firecrackers and dropped down on them. They left that night.

Good ideas. Worth a try.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's a gas fireplace. Would it be ok to light for a few minutes with the flu closed if I open some windows?

Or maybe just try tapping on the flu door with a hammer to scare them out?

You can light the fire with an open window...it won't produce enough soot to be a problem. Tap first hot foot later.

If they are squirrels you will have to eventually eliminate them, they will come back and if you cap the chimney after they leave the first time they will try to destroy your roof to get back in. I had this problem in WI, had to kill off about 3 families of different types. I killed one that got into the house with a bayonet...

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    The best way to rid anywhere of coon and her babies is to use male coon ****. Now I don't know where or how to get that ****, but I know it works. I had a customer with coons in an attic where we couldn't access without removing ceiling drywall or shingles and decking....so I called a professional critter control guy and he put some male coon pee on a ball and threw into attic. Momma moved her coons out ASAP. I asked the guy where to get the pee and he wouldn't say. I think they live trap a coon and check it's sex, if it is a male they then put plastic under trap and collect pee, I could be wrong though.

Top Bottom