• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We have a sunroom that desperately needs an AC unit. I need it to be 110v. I think I can do the install just not sure about some issues. The compressor will be by my pool equipment and a gas line runs mounted to the brick through the area. Is there a problem running my lines for the compressor around that pipe?

I could also mount a shelf on the brick in the corner and stick the unit up in the air but I'd rather not see it above the little fence we have there.

If drilling a 3" hole through a brick exterior, do you try to stay within one brick in the middle or catch the edge of the brick into the grout line?

I know... hire a contractor. But I called one and he told me to just do it myself :rofl:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Here is a pic. The room is on the right. The other option is to go out the other side of the room but then i’d have to put the compressor under my deck that is fairly well shielded for wind. Not sure If that would be an issue. There’s a lot of room under the deck, maybe 48” high between joists

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Novice $0.02....

You should be able to diamond core drill the brick anywhere. There's no magic in where you position the hole. I personally would drill a pilot from the inside out with a rock bit when you have your position settled, then core from the pilot reference inside and out for a clean hole on both sides.

I don't think running your lines near your gas line is an issue. I'd just avoid anything that looks like an inductive loop with electrical connections. Looks like there's plenty of sealtite running at 90 degree angles to the gas line already.

Disclaimer = NOT a contractor....so proceed as you see fit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As for your brick drilling issues, if it were me (I am contemplating the same project for my sun room, but no brick) I may try removing a brick and seeing if I could fit the lines in the space of 1/2 a brick and motaring half a brick back in with some sort of escutcheon on the outside. If I was bound and determine to drill, it would be with a big rented drill and diamond hole saw and I would keep the center off of the mortar line, but other than that, anywhere on the brick. I guess I would want to cut as few bricks as possible.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Hey doc. Most ductless units run the a/c and a power wire thru the same opening. If it is Mitsubishi like most the indoor unit gets fed from the outdoor unit and all lines would fit easily within a half a brick Removing a half is pretty easy. Drill and score with a chisel and it should pop right out. I just installed one and it’s pretty slick. ( I do most of the hvac work at my work place ) Most manufacturers have YouTube videos if you didn’t know.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You will most likely need a solid dedicated 30A circuit if you can find a ductless big enough to run on 110. Running a compressor and 2 fans will be a real push for 110V I believe but I have been wrong before.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    You will most likely need a solid dedicated 30A circuit if you can find a ductless big enough to run on 110. Running a compressor and 2 fans will be a real push for 110V I believe but I have been wrong before.

After reading your post I see I didn’t read it correctly. I thought he was looking 110 to run the fan coil. The 2 ton heat pump I put in only needed 15 amps max for the circuit and it was a ton and half. Mitsubishi sells a 115 volt unit but it’s rated for only 7-8000 btu’s

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After reading your post I see I didn’t read it correctly. I thought he was looking 110 to run the fan coil. The 2 ton heat pump I put in only needed 15 amps max for the circuit and it was a ton and half. Mitsubishi sells a 115 volt unit but it’s rated for only 7-8000 btu’s

Yup. 115V's is not going to carry all that.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why are people shocked when they build a ginormous solar oven in their house and discover it needs it's own a/c system? :dunno:

Totally agree. It’s full insulated but crappy windows. It was clearly an add-on after the construction was fairly advanced on the house. Would have made a much better open outdoor kitchen l. But, such is the house we bought. Only an issue now since we turned it into a workout room

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Totally agree. It’s full insulated but crappy windows. It was clearly an add-on after the construction was fairly advanced on the house. Would have made a much better open outdoor kitchen l. But, such is the house we bought. Only an issue now since we turned it into a workout room

Not sure how big the room is. How much heat gain/loss it has. But it sure sounds like more electricity will be needed.
    The actual install is not difficult past making the penetrations. The vacuum required on the system will put you in a stretch. The last 3 I did stated 500 microns minimum. That requires a good pump and gauge set.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That particular one I posted has a pre-charged hose and does not need a pump. Reviews say it works great.

nuts, says needs a dedicated circuit. Actually that wall on the left back ups to an unfinished part of the basement. I happen to have rope from my panel to the mechanical room, and from the mechanical room to the unfinished part :):

never know when I need to run a wire

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i thought they outlawed quick connect line sets?......you will have to make sure your dead with your length or a place to coil up the extra.......oh and too....don't kink the line set....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That particular one I posted has a pre-charged hose and does not need a pump. Reviews say it works great.

nuts, says needs a dedicated circuit. Actually that wall on the left back ups to an unfinished part of the basement. I happen to have rope from my panel to the mechanical room, and from the mechanical room to the unfinished part :):

never know when I need to run a wire

Yeah I think I already mentioned the dedicated circuit.
    Never heard of that brand. Hope it works out for you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i thought they outlawed quick connect line sets?......you will have to make sure your dead with your length or a place to coil up the extra.......oh and too....don't kink the line set....

The EPA did mandate the change but if they are selling equipment to non-certified residential engineers we are all doomed. :):

Top Bottom