• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know we have tons of gearheads here at INGO so I thought I would ask.

Dad Freeman was up here at Stately Freeman Manor completing some minor Manor improvements so in part of his compensation package I bought lunch.

The car auction was on the wall television at the microbrewery and he brought up his attending a car show as part of his schooling (he did undergrad and grad at GMI) in 1958. (Car shows were mandatory at GMI). Chevy had a car with no steering wheel, only a "rudder" where the emergency brake would be found on some models (so left hand drive would control with the right hand). Obviously this was an experimental or prototype design.

No knowledge as to model or body type. Google only gave me images of the coming robocars.

Any INGOer have knowledge of such a beast?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Jim, I'll ask him! That is pretty cool, especially for 1958.

"Ok, let's take the wings off a P-80 and then steal some of that TOW tech that they are working on."

We were watching the auction of a Buick Skylark so my tiny lizard brain is visualizing a passenger car.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not the Firebird III.

"1958 Chevy ragtop"

Maybe GM took the Firebird guidance system and put it in a "regular" Chevy to see how it would work and then brought it out to show the boys at GMI?

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Am I the only one who assumed Kirk was upset about a partially disassembled old car up on blocks in his neighbor’s yard?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe it wasn't 1958, looks like they had many cars with no steering wheels......Five Of The Coolest GM Concept/Dream Cars Of All Time

The car show was the end of his "freshman" year (all of GMI was "work-study", study at GMI for a hitch, then work in Indianapolis [think he started in Plant 1 for Allison]), which would have been 1958.

Maybe the concept car was older. Thanks for the link!!!

Top Bottom