• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Planes are likely owned by the state. You think Fidel drove a 1960 pickup truck?

From the article "...[FONT=&quot]The 737 was operated by the state-run airline Cubana de Aviación (Cubana Airlines) but it had been leased from a small Mexican charter company called Damojh Aerolíneas (Global Air Mexico)...."

[/FONT]
    Believe the article also stated a Mexican crew manned the cockpit. From that would imagine repair and parts were sourced thru Mexico.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    79 was date of manufacture of the crashed a/c. No info on how long it was being operated for Cubana. That makes it a 737-100 or 200. JT8Ds low bypass fans on a par with what they reengined B52s with as far as sophistication of design. 14500-16500lbs thrust as opposed to 20000-23500lbs for the somewhat larger 737-300/400 with CFMs

Not the airplane/engine combo I'd want to be in if it huffed one above V1 near maxATOG

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So...a Dr without a pilots license? One Bonanza lives a bit longer.

Doctors and dentists, the anchors in the sky

supposedly the problem is financial ability to buy planes with capabilities beyond your expertise. A friend of ours’ best friend lost his dad (dentist) in a general aviation crash here in Indy. He was a dentist or oral surgeon I think.

but that was a heart attack I think. He became unconscious, family pulled the parachute lever and lived.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So... I understood none of your post. :(

Both engines on that Cubana a/c produce barely as much thrust as one engine on a modern 737, and if operated at maxATOG (maximum actual take-off gross weight) it weighs about 80% of what a more modern version does. So basically, a modern 737 would perform as well on one engine as that thing will on two

V1 is a go/no go speed calculated from a/c take-off gross weight and runway length. It is a reference speed. At or below V1 if an engine fails you should have sufficient runway left to abort the takeoff and stop within the remaining distance. Above V1 you complete the takeoff on the one good engine because you don't have enough room to stop on the remaining runway. In theory you would come right back around and land on the thrust of that remaining engine. It is a situation that requires a lot from both the airplane and crew, and the higher the thrust to weight ratio of the a/c the happier you are

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Say hello to the 'Fork tailed doctor killer.' For those with more money than sense. It almost killed Steve Wozniak. Well actually Woz almost killed himself. Didn't even have his high performance ticket when he went flying. Dummy.
    It DID kill Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper and Richie Valens. Ever wonder how singer Jim Reeves died? Now you know. Randy Rhoads? Splat. Lesser known game show host Peter Tomarken Also splat. A furniture store owner I used to know. SPLAT. Saw that one happen. Pretty ugly.

1101p_bonanza_top.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    There are vague references to the tail section being the safest during a plane crash. At least one flight attendant can attest to this fact: https://www.necn.com/news/national-...-33000-Foot-Fall-Survivor-Dies-408389795.html

I've heard this before...but I suppose it's for cases like that in the OP where everyone else dies. Those cases are infrequent enough that I prefer the window seat in an exit row. If things are going to get bad i want the door handle by me not some overweight out of shape person who never read the safety card that I'd have to throw out of the way before the plane burned to the ground. Trapped in the back by the toilets waiting for everyone to get out of the way? No thanks. On airliners that catch fire the average time to evacuate is 96 seconds.

Unless I get upgraded of course...then I'll take the free drinks and think about who I'm going to have to walk on to get out. Help people after I get out? You bet, but you'd better not be between me and the door while trying to gather your purse or computer bag.

Top Bottom