• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I got some kind of update the other day for my Win XP operating system and now I cannot get on-line anymore.
    Everything works up to clicking on any link and then the little ball (circle) in the upper left corner rotates counter clockwise forever, it never rotates clockwise anymore and the requested page never comes up.

I did a "restore" to an earlier date but that didn't help and none of our other devices have been effected, just this one computer.

Anyone have any suggestions before I nuke it from orbit.
    Oh! And no, I will not be buying another computer. My phone has been my only reliable access to the internet.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I got some kind of update the other day for my Win XP operating system and now I cannot get on-line anymore.
    Everything works up to clicking on any link and then the little ball (circle) in the upper left corner rotates counter clockwise forever, it never rotates clockwise anymore and the requested page never comes up.

I did a "restore" to an earlier date but that didn't help and none of our other devices have been effected, just this one computer.

Anyone have any suggestions before I nuke it from orbit.
    Oh! And no, I will not be buying another computer. My phone has been my only reliable access to the internet.
    Windows stopped supporting XP years ago. Get a new computer.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    You probably got a virus. Microsoft hasn't done updates on Windows XP in years.

Either get a new computer or upgrade Windows. I would suggest a new computer same as CM and Kelly. Good luck.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    #1 Run your anti virus.
    #2 re-install your modem driver
    #2.5 Make a new internet connection and delete the old one
    #3 Re-install XP
    #4 Take it to Best Buy and let Geek Squad take a shot at it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My XP stopped going online years ago.
    But, then I took it to work, where it is "contraband". So it really doesn't need to go online.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Well, how about that, I fired up the computer using Linux, Mint and Fire Fox Mozilla and it is working just fine now.
    So what do you suppose happened to Chrome that it stopped working?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, how about that, I fired up the computer using Linux, Mint and Fire Fox Mozilla and it is working just fine now.

Died of old age. :):

On a related note, I fired up an old 486/133 that has been powered off for about 15 years. Windows 3.11 for workgroups. Still ran fine.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Hard to say what happened without being able to separate if it a browser issue or Windows issue.

I'd get whatever important files you have on the drive backed up and do a fresh install of the Linux flavor of your choice. Run that old dog until it doesn't run anymore and save up for some new hardware in the meantime.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a serious note, if it boots and the only bad thing is getting online, try this.

How to reset Windows XP WINSOCK and TCP/IP stack entries - Andrei DANEASA

How about deleting Chrome and then reinstalling it?
    I've got the Chrome install program on the disk.

Do both. the two commands in my link are non destructive for a simple workstation that just gets an IP address via DHCP.

One warning. On the second command, do NOT omit the logging. It just wont run unless you specify a log file. Stupid.

Stupid question. Have you tried IE?

How about opening a command prompt and typing "ping 8.8.8.8" (no quotes)? Do you get replies or timeouts? Can you ping your local gateway? (to see what it is, type ipconfig in that command prompt and ping the IP of the gateway that is listed)

If you get replies, its the browser. If you get timeouts its the IP stack/XP.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Nothing happened to chrome.

Windows XP is vulnerable to numerous viruses you could catch simply by being connected to the internet. Since it's no longer supported, there's no chance it will ever be fixed.

As cheap as it is to buy decent parts, you might as well just build your own machine. Could probably get out the door for $300 with a computer that's better than most off the shelf $800 units.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a serious note, if it boots and the only bad thing is getting online, try this.

How to reset Windows XP WINSOCK and TCP/IP stack entries - Andrei DANEASA

Nothing happened to chrome.

Windows XP is vulnerable to numerous viruses you could catch simply by being connected to the internet. Since it's no longer supported, there's no chance it will ever be fixed.

As cheap as it is to buy decent parts, you might as well just build your own machine. Could probably get out the door for $300 with a computer that's better than most off the shelf $800 units.

Whatever you choose, ignore ANY PC with less than 8gb of RAM. I have dealt with multiple economy 4gb PCs that were slow and sluggish. Anything less than 8 is unacceptable. 8 is good. 16 is good. Dont get carried away unless you process a LOT of data.

Also, get a big SSD (512GB-1TB depending on how much stuff you have) Its worth the spend. Trust me. I breathed life into many older PCs by switching them to a SSD from a platter based drive. They go from cursing an old PC to thinking they got a new PC. Get twice as much disk as you think you need. One downfall to SSDs is write cycles. If you overfill a SSD with too much static data (videos, pics, etc that never change) it will fail prematurely. Look up "ssd wear leveling" if you are curious.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    #4 Take it to Best Buy and let Geek Squad take a shot at it.

The rest of your advice is solid...but Geek Squad not so much so. My MIL uses them, she keeps buying new computers when she has a problem on their advice as 'it's dead, can't be fixed'. I take them, run the updates and they are all still running in my house being used by the kids. She gets the same advice from her Honda dealer...'those expensive rims are bent and we can't balance them, we'll replace them with a better set of steel rims for less money than it would take to fix them'. The Geek Squad is the equivalent of the Wall Job, where a service center parks your car against the wall and tells you they did the oil change and checked the plugs...even though all the original dust remains undisturbed. That will be $$$$ please.

Top Bottom