Lets talk about hats for the sun phobic.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I love functional, albeit funky hats. They are designed for many activities and INGO is well rounded in these groups; fishing camping tactical outdoor work...

My most recent favorite is a hook and tackle. The back flap rolls up to be a more typical hat, when down and wet it can have a cooling effect beyond sun protection. Ear pro doesn't require rolling up the side flaps.
    8J2IJGz.jpg

I've modified mine so I can put ice in shammy fabric bag in the top vent flap and enjoy air conditioning effects on very hot outdoor activities. (It saved my butt during the extremely hot 2 day kd shoot a couple summers ago)
    TfqVGYU.jpg

VGf1TAm.jpg

I water treated it once though and it caused the fabric to distort making the bill contorted.

For a new one i would prefer:
    -- being able to roll/wad it up to store (so no, or small firmness to front brim)
    -- no dark colors (absorb light =heat), but not bright for my fragile eyes :): desert tan, coyote...
    -- be able to wear ear pro and still get sun protection.

A couple of my others:
    XVMvhnZ.jpg

Love these for general wear but bright red and "NRA" prevents use without stressing about offending snowflakes. I modified the tan one so ear pro doesn't reduce sun protection but even I can notice how geeky it looks.
    7XV8QQh.jpg

I'm interested in seeing your favorites, odd ones you have found, modifications made, do you have several for different activities?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have a few of the Columbia Bora Bora II boonie hats, and they're OK. When they get wet, though, the brim completely collapses.,

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a few of the Columbia Bora Bora II boonie hats, and they're OK. When they get wet, though, the brim completely collapses.,

Yeah, those are the details that really matter with these things. I didn't even mention the function of rain gear in my original post.
    These serve so many roles and are beneficial to use for so many activities it is impossible for 1 hat to be ideal in all properties.
    Good for rain gear but not too hot in summer, wide brim for shade but able to roll up and put in pocket, side brim is nice until you need to put on ear pro....

The closest to ideal is the first pic I posted above. Suggested improvements: Front bill is too large and too stiff, I would prefer vent flaps on sides vs the metal mesh grommets. The goofy looking pocket in the front of the hat is pretty nice for my clip on sunglasses.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a good old boonie hat. It keeps the sun off of my ears, face, and neck. It's downfall is it is warm.

156783916_hat---boonie---subdued-urban-digital-camo-by-propper---.jpg

YES! The classic bonnie is a must have and probably the most utilitarian. I've had and still have a couple. The cotton ones are my least favorite, too warm and difficult to keep water resistant.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    A couple of straw hats in varying degrees of "beat up" dependent on the plans for the day and a.nice (albeit Chinese ripoff) panama hat for when I need to be more presentable.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I like my Tilley Model T4. I am wearing it in my profile pic. It has a pocket inside the top for a small stash. This video says the canvas is bullet proof, lol.

[video=youtube;c-VBZLQiFGM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-VBZLQiFGM[/video]

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like Bailey and Stetson. "LiteFelt" or straw for summer time. My straw Stetson Stratoliner is my favorite for warm weather.

70285.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have the digital camo boonie for warm weather, a leather with a pretty wide brim for cooler weather and a bunny ushanka for real cold. No matter what I try to get it's a pain directed at the other end of my spinal column to find one that fits. I've never encountered a baseball cap that would stretch out far enough.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've never encountered a baseball cap that would stretch out far enough.

I've tried to wear enough of the adjustable ball caps that were labeled as "One size fits all", to know that's often not true. I recently found a large sized one that fits, but it's got an elastic band that grips and that's annoying. I wear a wide brim straw hat when I work in the garden, on hot, sunny days, and I like that one, but when I'm hiking, I need a hat that I can stow easily without crushing it. I've been thinking about one of the wide brim canvas hats, but a ball cap is better to wear under the rain hood to keep rain off your face.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    YES! The classic bonnie is a must have and probably the most utilitarian. I've had and still have a couple. The cotton ones are my least favorite, too warm and difficult to keep water resistant.

Good hats, I use mine all the time, but they do get hot in the summer.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got an old woodland pattern boonie hat I bought in the early 80s I occasionally wear. It's a little tight now so I don't wear it as much anymore.

Top Bottom