• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Any of you guys noticed Lowes brought in Craftsman brand this week? I seen they had a big tool chest for around $600 upper and lower. I didn't check them out, just wondering how well they are made. This will destroy what little Sears had left.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Any of you guys noticed Lowes brought in Craftsman brand this week? I seen they had a big tool chest for around $600 upper and lower. I didn't check them out, just wondering how well they are made. This will destroy what little Sears had left.

Didn't Sears sell their tool and appliance lines last year?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So does this mean Lowes will honer Craftsmans lifetime warranty?
    I have a bag full of Craftsman screwdrivers and wrenches that are chipped and busted [STRIKE]that I get from yard sales[/STRIKE] that I break legitimately in my workshop. :rolleyes:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sears has sold off the Craftsman name to Stanley.

Sears just needs to close down and liquidate anything else they may have. It's been hemorrhaging money for years.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I kind of wondered what was up. My lowes had a craftsman sign next to the customer service counter. You can't blame them, the Craftsman name is very well known. I believe stanley also owns dewalt and Mac tools.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm hoping for the promised improved quality and being made in America again to be happening soon. So far the Lowe's Craftsman tools appears to be overstock from the closing Sears locations and is still the same Chinesium that has invaded the brand in recent years.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I kind of wondered what was up. My lowes had a craftsman sign next to the customer service counter. You can't blame them, the Craftsman name is very well known. I believe stanley also owns dewalt and Mac tools.

I would say yes, Stanley owns Craftsman, DeWalt and Mac Tools (as well as all of the Stanley line). I was informed of this a short time ago from my Mac Tools distributor.
    Now, my Mac distributor doesn't yet have authorization to sell or warranty Craftsman tools. But he expects that will change very soon. He was quick to advise that they claim that Craftsman tools are meant for hobbyists and are not meant for true "professional" use. A few years ago I was told the same thing when I went to a Sears store to have a ratchet replaced while wearing a work uniform, at which time the manager refused to replace it. Went a few days later in street clothes and no question asked they replaced it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would say yes, Stanley owns Craftsman, DeWalt and Mac Tools (as well as all of the Stanley line). I was informed of this a short time ago from my Mac Tools distributor.
    Now, my Mac distributor doesn't yet have authorization to sell or warranty Craftsman tools. But he expects that will change very soon. He was quick to advise that they claim that Craftsman tools are meant for hobbyists and are not meant for true "professional" use. A few years ago I was told the same thing when I went to a Sears store to have a ratchet replaced while wearing a work uniform, at which time the manager refused to replace it. Went a few days later in street clothes and no question asked they replaced it.

I have SnapOn Mac Craftsman tools in the box with a smattering of other brands for specific use tools. A few Kobalt tools and I rarely if ever use them for fear of failure.....:)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im happy with my Kobalt tools. I just broke my first screwdriver last week. But its my fault. I used a too-small flat blade and chipped the blade due to over torquing it. They arent bad.

And now that you mention it, I saw it too today. I saw a red toolbox on display but didnt pay enough attention to realize what it was.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I gave up on Sears when I went to their Greenwood Park Mall store looking for a specialty automotive tool and a single socket to replace a lost one. When I got there I found the tool department was still the same size, but there were far fewer tools for sale, and not the ones I needed.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    KMart bought Sears in 2004. That's the death knell sure as Burlington Coat Factory coming to the mall.

Well, to be fair, if you are in a position for Kmart to buy you, you probably were not doing so well before the acquisition. But yes, both of those retailers are fighting for the worst retailer position, and frankly both could just disappear. I like competition, but neither Kmart or Sears present any for the rest of the market.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, to be fair, if you are in a position for Kmart to buy you, you probably were not doing so well before the acquisition. But yes, both of those retailers are fighting for the worst retailer position, and frankly both could just disappear. I like competition, but neither Kmart or Sears present any for the rest of the market.

Funny how things change. I remember, when I was a kid, when our town got its first K-Mart, it was a pretty big deal. Then, I remember back in the days when strolling the mall was a thing, I'd spend time in the tool section of Sears, drooling over tools that I knew I'd want to add to my collection eventually, while my wife was browsing whatever she liked to do.

Top Bottom