0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have a laptop, windows 10.
    I use Norton antivirus.
    Comes free with Comcast.
    I run "SCAN" often.
    My laptop seams to lock up a bunch.
    Things seam to run a lot slower.

NOW do I check what is running in the back ground?
    If I do not want something running in the back ground. Now do I stop it?
    Now when I turn on my laptop. "free" Youtube downloader pops up requesting me to UPDATE.
    Is Window defender part of Norton?
    Is window defender running conflict with Norton.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How much RAM memory is installed? Is the hard drive light on/flickering ALL the time, even when idle?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have had Norton for years NO problems.
    With in the bast 2 to 3 months My system has gone crazy.

As soon as you build a better mousetrap some SOB comes out with a better mouse.
    Norton worked great for me for a long time up to the point it didn't.
    I went AVG Free for a few years until it didn't work good.
    Now I'm using Avast and AdBlock both FREE editions and my PC works fantastic. I'll use this system until it doesn't work top notch too. I'll find something better at that point.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Ctrl + Alt + Del will be the quickest way to see what processes are running in the background. You can also change what programs automatically load at startup through the Startup tab. Disable anything that isnt absolutely necessary. Check your Performance tab to make sure you aren't running more than around 70% of available RAM (I personally like it to be less than 50%). Norton is known to use a lot of RAM. Always has. It used to be the #1 antivirus software, but now there are several that will be just as secure, and use much less memory. I use Webroot Secure Anywhere. Its about $50/yr. Run Disk Cleanup and delete everything you can. Then Defrag your drive. That should be a good start.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Before I went to Apple, I had a few laptops. Norton and some of the others were horrible. I used the following with allot of success.

1) Malwarebytes
    2) Windows Defender
    3) AVAST Free version.

Keep everything updated and stay away from questionable sites.

As far as your slowdown / lockup, it could be many reasons.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In theory windows 10 doesn't need antivirus, I don't run any on my windows 10 and have never had an issue.

Windows Defender is like a box of cheap condoms*. Will it protect you? Maybe. Its better than nothing, but there are better free options, and MUCH better paid ones.

I'm partial to Sophos Home.

*Windows 8 and higher only. Any earlier and its not even worth the CPU cycles. HORRID protection.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Norton worked well without killing the computer oh about 15 years ago. 2005 and newer when they started running a live scan and hallway monitors that use more of the RAM and CPU than some of the newer games I gave up on them. Still better than McAffey or Kaspersky

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Windows Defender is like a box of cheap condoms*. Will it protect you? Maybe. Its better than nothing, but there are better free options, and MUCH better paid ones.

I'm partial to Sophos Home.

*Windows 8 and higher only. Any earlier and its not even worth the CPU cycles. HORRID protection.
    Going to remember that one for the next cheap business owner that insists on using free AV for PC's with critical business and client data.
    I liken it to locks on a screen door. Probably a little more office friendly...

For home use Sophos Home is pretty decent, like the web filtering. (My kids hate it, so it must be ok.) If you have 4+GB ram and a decent CPU, go with it. There is even a paid Home premium flavor if you like.

If you need something lighter weight Comodo Cloud is pretty ok, and free. No web Filtering though. Just antimalware/AV.
    I'm also partial to nothing with Windows 8 on it... :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Going to remember that one for the next cheap business owner that insists on using free AV for PC's with critical business and client data.
    I liken it to locks on a screen door. Probably a little more office friendly...

For home use Sophos Home is pretty decent, like the web filtering. (My kids hate it, so it must be ok.) If you have 4+GB ram and a decent CPU, go with it. There is even a paid Home premium flavor if you like.

If you need something lighter weight Comodo Cloud is pretty ok, and free. No web Filtering though. Just antimalware/AV.
    I'm also partial to nothing with Windows 8 on it... :)

IF you have windows 8 or higher and you DONT have 8gb of RAM (or more), I pity you. Win8+4gb=slooooooooooow. (and probably a burned out hard drive shortly from the constant thrashing of the swap file. :): )

Top Bottom