What's the best thing to use to kill grass, weed brush etc...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have some areas that I can't seem to keep up with clearing. If it is green I want it dead. Round up and some of the other stuff I have tried does not work for long. A guy I use to work for had some pretty awesome stuff but I can't seem to get a hold of him to see what it was.

Any tips? Napalm isn't easy to come by these days. So that is out. :(

Thanks in advance.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ahh, you can make your own redneck napalm easily enough. Just dissolve styrofoam in gasoline. There's something I did once that involved a double boiler and Ivory Snow that came out with a similar result. It's viscous, sticks to stuff, and burns. I did that when my parents had gone on vacation somewhere, and my mom was disappointed that I'd been using her double boiler for gasoline, but I cleaned it up just fine, you could never tell.

I have this stuff called Veg-Kill 15 that makes Roundup look like fertilizer, but I've had it so long they've probably caught up to it and made possession a federal felony. I'll have to research that. I can't remember whether it was the weed-b-gon or the roundup bottle the black lab ate. She was dumber than a sack of hammers already, so it was hard to tell any difference.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ahh, you can make your own redneck napalm easily enough. Just dissolve styrofoam in gasoline. There's something I did once that involved a double boiler and Ivory Snow that came out with a similar result. It's viscous, sticks to stuff, and burns. I did that when my parents had gone on vacation somewhere, and my mom was disappointed that I'd been using her double boiler for gasoline, but I cleaned it up just fine, you could never tell.

I have this stuff called Veg-Kill 15 that makes Roundup look like fertilizer, but I've had it so long they've probably caught up to it and made possession a federal felony. I'll have to research that. I can't remember whether it was the weed-b-gon or the roundup bottle the black lab ate. She was dumber than a sack of hammers already, so it was hard to tell any difference.

When I was a kid, Dad usually had Dioxin (aka Agent Orange) out in the shed. He was in upper management with the Marion County health department, and had some connnections with the highway department. They used to use it to control clover alongside the highways. Used to have DDT in the shed too. Our shed probably qualifies as a super fund cleanup site now. :):

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    Life happens. As no product will offer permanent desolation, I suggest planting the area with an aggressive ground cover or low growing grass. Once established it should crowd out most other plants. Not a zero maintenance solution, but definitely less.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Life happens. As no product will offer permanent desolation...

Not permanent, but there are products that will give you multiple seasons of zero growth of anything. They are called soil sterilants. They're generally used for tank farms, along pipelines, parking lots, etc.

This one would work for you, but it's banned in many states, including Indiana...:rolleyes:

Barren

It's a mix of Bromacil and 2, 4 D which can be purchased separately.:whistle:

Just beeeeeeeee careful playing around with this kind of stuff. There's a reason Home Depot or Lowe's don't sell this stuff.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Slightly off topic, but my family visited my uncke when I was a child, and he gave us "the vest flea killing powder fir your dig thst you will ever find". My dad put it under the front seat of the car and forgot about it. Five years later when we were getting ready to sell the car I pulled the bag out from under the seat, and it was an open bag if DDT with about a pound of powder still in it. I wonder hiw much of that powder leached into the air of the car over the years, ezpezzally on dot hays. . . . .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Slightly off topic, but my family visited my uncke when I was a child, and he gave us "the vest flea killing powder fir your dig thst you will ever find". My dad put it under the front seat of the car and forgot about it. Five years later when we were getting ready to sell the car I pulled the bag out from under the seat, and it was an open bag if DDT with about a pound of powder still in it. I wonder hiw much of that powder leached into the air of the car over the years, ezpezzally on dot hays. . . . .

Spell check my brother.......spell check...:):

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...it was an open bag if DDT with about a pound of powder still in it..

I have an pint bottle of the liquid sitting on a shelf in the barn...

84yUGqZ.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was going to say some 2 4 D but don't know where to get it.

You our have to plant someth My to
    compete and take over. Nature WILL find a way

2 4 D is great where you want to kill weeds and leave grass. I get it at TSC or Rural King and a better value for a selective herbicide, you will not find. $15/gal mixed at 3oz/gal, that stuff will last a long time. I have yet to use Trimec, which has 2 4 D and other stuff in it, but I hear that's better on clover.

For a non-selective, I use 41% Glyphosate, the brand doesn't matter except that Roundup costs many times more than what you can get it for in a farm store. It's about $15-$18/gal and mixed at between 3oz and 6oz per gallon, and is tough stuff to beat. However, that just kills what is up now. Farmers use it because you can spray it, kill off the weeds and plant shortly.

For a kill shot that will last between 4 and 6 months, I mix about 4oz of 41% Glyphosate AND Roundup Extended Control or RM 43 (cheaper than Roundup, but not cheap). I mix in the Extended control or RM 43 at the low end of the concentration, which I can do because of "boosting" it with the relatively cheap Glyphosate. Add a little dish soap into the sprayer, and the stuff will cling to leaves. If you are out spraying for over 1/2 hour, you will start seeing weeds wilting where you started by the time you are done.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It may be what Hough is referring to but I use the Round Up with the purple on the bottle. It is stronger than the other Round Up's. I also mix it slightly stronger. It seems to kill things pretty good though where I used it last year is now growing vegetation again this year.

I do know that salt works well. I once dumped my water softener brine tank on a section of my front yard. I think it was 3 years before I saw grass there again.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It may be what Hough is referring to but I use the Round Up with the purple on the bottle. It is stronger than the other Round Up's. I also mix it slightly stronger. It seems to kill things pretty good though where I used it last year is now growing vegetation again this year.

I do know that salt works well. I once dumped my water softener brine tank on a section of my front yard. I think it was 3 years before I saw grass there again.

I know a guy who had to replant grass where he improvidently emptied his car's radiator on the ground. He claims it was a total accident.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know a guy who had to replant grass where he improvidently emptied his car's radiator on the ground. He claims it was a total accident.

I'd like to say my "spilling" the contents of my brine tank was an accident but I was ignorant. I did not know that sal****er would kill the grass.

Young and dumb as they say.

Top Bottom