• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I had oral surgery this morning, open flap scaling (gum recession over 13 and 14)--doc cleaned the roots of the teeth and then pulled down the gums and stitched them in place. Just woke up for a nice long nap to sleep the dope off.

More pain than I had anticipated. I have prescription for Trammies but not a big fan of drugs (especially Tramadol as it is derived from morphine which I have had before I really, really enjoyed).

Doc said ice and avoid coffee (the horror). Anyone have anything else that worked for them?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I had oral surgery this morning, open flap scaling (gum recession over 13 and 14)--doc cleaned the roots of the teeth and then pulled down the gums and stitched them in place. Just woke up for a nice long nap to sleep the dope off.

More pain than I had anticipated. I have prescription for Trammies but not a big fan of drugs (especially Tramadol as it is derived from morphine which I have had before I really, really enjoyed).

Doc said ice and avoid coffee (the horror). Anyone have anything else that worked for them?

Oral.

But, since you're the one who had the surgery, you may want to wait a few days.

;)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

High proof whiskey/bourbon. I’m actually serious, it helped me with wisdom teeth, or made me not care?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Oral.

But, since you're the one who had the surgery, you may want to wait a few days.

;)

:rofl:

long standing joke with one of our PAs. He staffs a patient and says he gave something to relieve symptoms. We ask oral or IV. He gets this shocked look on his face and says IV :rofl:

kirk, tramadol does weird things to some people. Lots of ibuprofen and icing

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I have a standing order for tramadol. It's the most useless prescription pain med I've ever had. In boot camp the MC decided to dumb me down so a Navy dentist took ma wisdom teefs. I was given Motrin 800mg. It was new and prescription only at the time. It's still my go to for dental pain unless I am given something really good.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    High proof whiskey/bourbon. I’m actually serious, it helped me with wisdom teeth, or made me not care?

I found the same thing years ago when I had my wisdom teeth pulled.

Also, that little sticker on the bottle of pills that says not to take with alcohol is more of a guide-line than a rule, as long as you're careful.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have a standing order for tramadol. It's the most useless prescription pain med I've ever had. In boot camp the MC decided to dumb me down so a Navy dentist took ma wisdom teefs. I was given Motrin 800mg. It was new and prescription only at the time. It's still my go to for dental pain unless I am given something really good.

WHO is to blame for tramadol in Africa. So sad

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com...ican-cities-in-ghana-nigeria-egypt-gabon/amp/

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The doc gave me Tramadol when I had the shingles. It didn't do much for me... at all.

My doc gave it to me for nerve pain in my lower back and it didn't help me much either. I guess that was a good thing, because the pain motivated me to keep up with the exercises and that eventually fixed me up.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll never take Tramadol again. I've eaten a ton of Hydrocodone & Oxycodone (months at a time) without issue other than maybe a little constipation but I felt like hell trying to come off of Tramadol. I don't care for pill form Dilaudid either, IV Dilaudid will have me flying dragons over the surface of Mars for a few hours though :).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Alternating acetaminophen and ibuprofen will work better than most narcotics for actually relieving pain. I would do that and ice.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had a tooth pulled about 6 weeks ago. It was much worse than expected, and I alternated between some Hydrocodone I had in the cabinet from a previous surgery and Ibuprofen. The Ibuprofen helped a lot with the swelling and the other helped with the pain. Alternating seemed to allow me to function better. I still spent the first three days in a recliner sure I was dying. I have a high pain tolerance so my husband knew I was hurting when I was complaining. I had zero pain meds with the birth of my two kids and this was worse! LOL

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

had the same thing on my 2 front top teeth years ago. it's a mother ****er to deal with. a lot of good suggestions here. Ice is a must, alternate the ibuprofen and acetaminophen. and rest.

I wish you well

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Many years ago, I had oral surgery for a sideways wisdom tooth. Break in half sort of cut and pull.

Three days later, I ran out of codeine on a Saturday at work. I was fussing and whining about the pain and where to find more codeine until someone asked me the obvious. "Have you taken any aspirin?" Problem solved. :dunno:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Y'all must be doing it wrong. I had all four wisdom teeth pulled at the same time, teeth pulled, root canals, an apicoectomy, implants, etc. and never had any significant pain afterwards...or maybe I'm just damn lucky with the lack of dental pain.:)

I save the prescribed painkillers for the occasional bad mountain bike crashes.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Y'all must be doing it wrong. I had all four wisdom teeth pulled at the same time, teeth pulled, root canals, an apicoectomy, implants, etc. and never had any significant pain afterwards...or maybe I'm just damn lucky with the lack of dental pain.:)

I save the prescribed painkillers for the occasional bad mountain bike crashes.

I'm going to say you were lucky. I had general anesthesia for the extraction because Novacane doesn't do anything at all for me. I had 7 shots per tooth when I had the upper wisdom teeth and two others pulled for my braces at age 19. Felt every single thing they did. They knocked me out for the two lower wisdom teeth and that was better. This extraction was a molar that I was just done dealing with. Felt everything when I had the root canal that never eliminated the pain I had in that tooth. Even with the general anesthesia, I felt them pull it. Maybe I wasn't out very deeply, but I swear I felt it. My jaw throbbed for over a week even with painkillers.

It's no wonder so many people HATE going to the dentist.

Top Bottom