• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I'm not a phone guy at all. As far as smartphones go, I've only ever used iPhones. I've been using an iPhone 6s for a couple years now and I like it well enough. The battery is starting to not hold a charge as well as it used to, and before I just replace it with an iPhone 7, I figured I'd ask if you guys would go another direction?

I use my phone for calls, text, emails, facebook, music, podcasts, waze, and runkeeper... and that's about it.

I like a long battery life, and I'd prefer to stay with a phone of similar size so it will still work in the phone pockets of my carhartt pants (although that's not a deal breaker).

Should I just do the easy thing and go get an iPhone7, or would you guys do something else?

:ingo:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's not an iPhone, but the Moto Z with the extended battery pack lasts all day and I'm on my phone a lot.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I just got my first smart phone.... but I had a couple of iPads and other apple products.

I went through ATT pay as you go plan. ~$75/mo total for both wife and I, each with 6G of data that rolls over.

At the time, a couple months ago, they had a promotion where you could get an iPhone SE for $195. 6's were only a little more, maybe $250ish.
    looks like still about the same here: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/prepaidphones.html

I got the SE, it's the same size as an iPhone 5.

I like the size for the reasons you mention... easy to put in pocket, etc. But it's a little smallish screen relative to the and some days I wish I had a bigger screen. So yea, there's a trade off.

SE has the same A9 chip as the 6s, but the 7 uses the A10. All have 32G and 12MP camera, but the front camera is better on the newer models. So you're not giving up much with the SE if you like the size...

-rvb

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd get an iPhone. You can go with the 7, or the wife and kids found a deal on SE's recently and went with an AT&T prepaid plan. Pretty affordable.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Getting an SE would be getting a smaller phone with a smaller battery, but the same processor. Not a smart choice for the OP. If you want to stick with Apple get a 7 or 8, (X might be overkill). If you are looking android, look at the Galaxy S8 or S9, the OnePlus6, or the Pixel 2. You seem to be someone that keeps their phone, so buy at the new end of the spectrum now, and keep it as long as you can, rather than buying old and having to upgrade again in a year or 2.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I finally replaced my 4S when it started acting like it was consuming large quantities of recreational pharmaceuticals. I'd got it on clearance for $1, and it remains the only AAPL product I've ever paid money for. I replaced the battery twice with ones off ebay, all you need is a repair kit for a couple of dollars or so, and you can do it yourself in a few minutes. I missed out selling it on ebay before they caught on people were selling them for trillions of dollars with Flappy Bird on them. When my Galaxy S7 needs it, I'll do the same thing.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Get a portable external battery pack like the Anker Power Core. I carry one in the truck for use when I'm out away from a power source. I don't know about you, but the 6S form factor is about as large as I want to go with a phone. So, why spend $400+ on a new phone when you can get a good external battery for less than $50?

Just my view.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    When in my innocence I trusted that AAPL wasn't to be expected to do something blatantly obnoxious, and took that one way street from iOS5 to iOS6, it gronked my already diminishing battery. I could expect maybe 5 hours if I optimised it so hard I'd started squeezing blood out of it, vs two solid days on a single charge before the "upgrade". I put a double capacity battery in and got it up to a good day without a charge. The batteries are so cheap, I don't think I've ever paid $10 for one. I do have an external pack, but that takes proportionally longer to charge.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When in my innocence I trusted that AAPL wasn't to be expected to do something blatantly obnoxious, and took that one way street from iOS5 to iOS6, it gronked my already diminishing battery. I could expect maybe 5 hours if I optimised it so hard I'd started squeezing blood out of it, vs two solid days on a single charge before the "upgrade". I put a double capacity battery in and got it up to a good day without a charge. The batteries are so cheap, I don't think I've ever paid $10 for one. I do have an external pack, but that takes proportionally longer to charge.
    good suggestion on a secondary battery. A quick note about replacements, if a replacement of the same physical size claims to be more than a hundred or so mAh off the original they are lying to you. Battery technology hasn't jumped that far and if legit companies could get double the capacity from the same physical size they would.

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Personally i have the Galaxy S7. It is an amazing machine and runs android. I have been days without charging mine before and it still runs as smooth now (1.5yrs) as it did the day it came out of the box. Its hard to best Galaxy line of phones, in my opinion.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Personally i have the Galaxy S7. It is an amazing machine and runs android. I have been days without charging mine before and it still runs as smooth now (1.5yrs) as it did the day it came out of the box. Its hard to best Galaxy line of phones, in my opinion.

Note 8 for me. Like my Galaxy but probably bigger than the op is looking to pocket. I wear cargo pants practically all the time so I have the pocket space for it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have stuck with the Galaxy Note's. I am using a Note 5 at the moment. I am trying to talk myself in to a 8. But this one works great. Every Note I have had is still running. Even the old #2. I am amazed that the battery hasn't died.

Top Bottom