Anyone use a kid tracker GPS watch/phone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My wife wants our kids to get one of these. You can track them via GPS and send texts to them. They can call a few predetermined numbers and 911.

Wondering if anyone uses them and what they think

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Considered it.
    But went the phone route instead.

No WAY is she leaving that phone at a friends’ house.

Saved two years. We didn’t go this route, but Verizon has a pretty good family plan with blocks and monitoring. I gotta think some of the Samsung etc would be valued priced lower than a dedicated gps minimal phone device.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Smartphones are an unfortunate necessity... just monitor usage with carrier/third-party apps, block app downloads (kids use picture hider and secret messengers apps), download and install Life360 and make it a condition of having a phone they do not turn it off.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Kids are 7 and 9, they can’t be trusted with a cell phone yet. 9yo lost an iPhone last trip.

samsung gear s2 may be it. Don’t think it will geofence though

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Kids are 7 and 9, they can’t be trusted with a cell phone yet. 9yo lost an iPhone last trip.

samsung gear s2 may be it. Don’t think it will geofence though 
    They have the little key ring trackers that you can put into your kids backpacks and even glue them onto their phone case. They will ring when you are trying to locate them if you want them To.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    We have been using MM Guarding on our sons cell phone. We can see who is on his contact list, block users, see and block apps, view copies of text massages, see the location of the phone, lock and unlock the phone, set time limits and a few other things. When the phone is locked he can call or text my wife or me.

We have the app store blocked and he can’t install an app without my wife or me “allowing” the app to be installed.

All of the things I mentioned can be done from our cell phones. It consists of two apps. MM Guarding child app and MM Guarding parent app. You get two weeks trial and then it’s $40 a year per child app. There’s on limit on parent apps.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My daughter has the gizmo watch. Believe its verizon that offers it. Works great and price is good to. The bus tracking app sucks, so this works great for knowing when her bus is about to arrive. Had it 2 years now and no complaints

Edit: got it for her before start of first grade and now finishing 2nd grade. Will use this definitely a few more years. No cell phones till shes at least a teen here

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just get them implants. You'll be glad you did.
    No more keeping track of because you'll always know where they are. They will never lose it. (unless they cut off their own arm) Make sure to get the Zap 3000 model with extended range. (totally worth it) You can set it in the perimeter mode or just simply push the button on the remote. No more chasing and spankings. Plus it can be very entertaining. Especially when they start dating.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Just get them implants. You'll be glad you did.
    No more keeping track of because you'll always know where they are. They will never lose it. (unless they cut off their own arm) Make sure to get the Zap 3000 model with extended range. (totally worth it) You can set it in the perimeter mode or just simply push the button on the remote. No more chasing and spankings. Plus it can be very entertaining. Especially when they start dating.

What provider offers that?

im all in!!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My daughter has the gizmo watch. Believe its verizon that offers it. Works great and price is good to. The bus tracking app sucks, so this works great for knowing when her bus is about to arrive. Had it 2 years now and no complaints

Edit: got it for her before start of first grade and now finishing 2nd grade. Will use this definitely a few more years. No cell phones till shes at least a teen here

I like the geofence option on that but only four numbers is frustrating and no texting. So many decisions

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I like the geofence option on that but only four numbers is frustrating and no texting. So many decisions

I believe theres two styles of gizmo. Gizmo gadget and gizmo pal. The gizmo gadget is better, which is what we have.
    My daughters has up to 10 phone numbers and preset text messages. It also has preset boundries you can set for the gps and if the child leaves that area you get alerts. Its $5 month. You get the app and theres a lot of functions. Lets you know when battery dying, etc.

Edit: can preload 9 text messages and you can change those at any time

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Oh nice. What carrier?

Its verizon. I believe it says theres an activation fee but it was waived when we got ours

We dont use verizon but our middle daughter does so we did it thru her account. Only problem with that was she had to have the app to but that was no big deal as she is a contact for the youngest

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Yeah. They do that cause kids tend to play with them and accidentally make calls. That is the only drawback i suppose.

Top Bottom