• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Rahm Emanual proclaimed that he was putting 1000 extra police officers on the streets to keep order for Memorial Day Weekend, maybe he should have added another 3000. Second City Cop As of Monday all 5 of the latest blog posts are shocking to this guy who reads the blog daily. I would think these 5 incidents would be combined to make headlines across the country but the media will be more interested in anything but this.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    :wow: what a poo show...Chitown? No thanks, it's been decades since I wanted to go there. tiny dancer is just another in a long line of enablers.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I'd love to go visit the Museum of Science and Industry, especially because my son wants to see the U-505 exhibit, but as noted above, is it really worth the risk?

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks but no thanks.

I make it out to NYC about three times a year, never have I felt unsafe. . . . It would be nice carrying something, but it is what it is. I will take NYC over Chicago any day.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you stick to the main areas and are situationaly aware then chicago will be no different than Indianapolis for you other than more awesome things to do.
    I'd stick to public transportation and if a taxi doesnt look or smell right (yes I mean smell) then take a different one.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'd love to go visit the Museum of Science and Industry, especially because my son wants to see the U-505 exhibit, but as noted above, is it really worth the risk?

I was just there a couple weeks ago. No metal detectors and I carried there all day with no issue.

I had not been there since the U-505 was outside. The exhibit is actually very cool.

If you stick to the main areas and are situationaly aware then chicago will be no different than Indianapolis for you other than more awesome things to do.

This. It's a big city. If you aren't there to go to the questionable neighborhoods to buy heroin, you'll be fine.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I'd stick to public transportation and if a taxi doesnt look or smell right (yes I mean smell) then take a different one.

That may have been true 5 years ago but not now. The wildings, carjackings, muggings, etc are now happening in the areas of the city that used to be deemed safe. The types of stuff that is going down now can't be avoided by any situational awareness. Public transportation has been a cespool of crime and filth since I was a kid 40 years ago. I work in the city every day and interact with cops on a regular basis, what is reported is but a fraction of the stuff that is going down.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I was just there a couple weeks ago. No metal detectors and I carried there all day with no issue.

I had not been there since the U-505 was outside. The exhibit is actually very cool.

Thanks for the info about carrying at the museum.

Like you, I haven't been there since they built the new indoor exhibit for U-boat, I would love to see it.

I'm thinking if I ever (against my better judgment) did go, I would park in Indiana, take the South Shore Line to the 57th Street station, then walk the block to the museum.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again the only thing I leave in the state of Illinois is spent fossil fuel hydrocarbons and excrement. Starve the beast. Not an extra penny to the land of Lincoln.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

This. It's a big city. If you aren't there to go to the questionable neighborhoods to buy heroin, you'll be fine.

Most of us can't do that without risking serious legal issues if we get caught or have to use it.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage

Like you, I haven't been there since they built the new indoor exhibit for U-boat, I would love to see it.

I'm thinking if I ever (against my better judgment) did go, I would park in Indiana, take the South Shore Line to the 57th Street station, then walk the block to the museum.

That is your best bet. The parking garage they built has 1 entrance/exit. On busy days it can be a mess getting out of the parking garage. Make sure you know where you are going in the Hyde Park neighborhood. If you go a couple of blocks out of the area it can get sketchy. Plus the Chicago criminals are now targeting the nicer areas of the city.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That may have been true 5 years ago but not now. The wildings, carjackings, muggings, etc are now happening in the areas of the city that used to be deemed safe. The types of stuff that is going down now can't be avoided by any situational awareness. Public transportation has been a cespool of crime and filth since I was a kid 40 years ago. I work in the city every day and interact with cops on a regular basis, what is reported is but a fraction of the stuff that is going down.
    Oh I'm not debating that it happens and can happen anywhere in chicago and yes it is getting a lot worse and will continue to do so as long as liberals run it.
    I have seen occasions that would or could have turned into a bad thing. Not looking like a target of opportunity and a good score are starters.
    If I want to get car jacked or robbed I bet I could go get it done in my own city.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Chiraq will resemble Detroilet in a decade or less. If there was a way to get to Wisconsin to smell the dairy air without going through that city, even on the Interstate, or going way out of my way, I think I'd visit up there more often.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

This.
    It's a one block walk.
    Though I can't remember the street, I got off at the Hyde Park station. I'd have to look to see if it's the same.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's a fantastic museum. Don't use that as an excuse not to visit. I'm quite fond of visiting, was just up there 2 weeks ago.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's a fantastic museum. Don't use that as an excuse not to visit. I'm quite fond of visiting, was just up there 2 weeks ago.

I last went there after they updated the model train exhibit, because I donated money for that.
    But, I haven't seen the new sub exhibit. For some reason though, I really want to.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If they hit Chicago again (next yr), I'll be there.
    Saw them last two BoS tours in Chicago.
    Had a blast :)
    [video=youtube_share;mpjL6XPXT50]https://youtu.be/mpjL6XPXT50[/video]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Might hit a show at The Bottom Lounge.
    Nice place (did Trooper Ale pre-show party there first BoS tour).
    Have not been to Reggies Rock Club yet.
    Keep searching for a good show.

Top Bottom