• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I have a 16’ deep V Basstracker boat with a 40 hp Mercury outboard motor. Before taking it out over the weekend for the first time this year I hooked up some earmuffs and started it to make sure there were no problems and to ensure that there was a “pee” stream of water coming from the motor.

When we got to the lake and put the boat in the water a loud high pitched noise emanated from underneath the dash when I turned the key to the “on” position AND while the engine was running. The noise continued throughout the day. I crawled under the dash to try to locate the sound - even pulled each fuse individually and the noise continued. I couldn’t actually determine where the noise came from other than under the dash - and too hot today to try to hunt it down.

The motor started and ran fine all day and all the gauges (tach, speedo, volt meter, fuel, etc) as well as the live well and bilge pump all worked.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this ?

Thanjs in advance.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I am not a boat tech but I have owned several boats over the years.

My guess would be a high temp alarm if the motor is a 4 stroke or a low oil alarm if it's a 2 stroke and has a separate tank for the 2 stroke oil.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm figuring you've got a faulty sensor OR maybe an issue causing the sensor to sound off.
    Continuous sound is usually overheating. Intermittent sounds are usually low oil.
    This is from experience with my late 90s 50hp Merc.
    I've had to replace 2 head sensors and one alarm on mine.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    high water temp alarm.....pop the top off the engine and look for one wire going to the head......take a ohm meter and pull the wire and check to see if you have resistant from terminal to the head .......if you do when cool it is bad......

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    high water temp alarm.....pop the top off the engine and look for one wire going to the head......take a ohm meter and pull the wire and check to see if you have resistant from terminal to the head .......if you do when cool it is bad......

Yes. Temperature instruments are often set to "fail high". In general, not in every case.
    But generally, an open sensor will give you a "high" reading, because that is safer than if it failed "low" and you never new you had a problem.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have a 16’ deep V Basstracker boat with a 40 hp Mercury outboard motor. Before taking it out over the weekend for the first time this year I hooked up some earmuffs and started it to make sure there were no problems and to ensure that there was a “pee” stream of water coming from the motor.

When we got to the lake and put the boat in the water a loud high pitched noise emanated from underneath the dash when I turned the key to the “on” position AND while the engine was running. The noise continued throughout the day. I crawled under the dash to try to locate the sound - even pulled each fuse individually and the noise continued. I couldn’t actually determine where the noise came from other than under the dash - and too hot today to try to hunt it down.

The motor started and ran fine all day and all the gauges (tach, speedo, volt meter, fuel, etc) as well as the live well and bilge pump all worked.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this ?

Thanjs in advance.

Putting the muffs on the lower unit FORCES water into the motor via water pressure from the hose. Water can reach the sensors in the upper parts of the motor this way.
    You still might have a bad impeller that needs replaced.
    Any chance of putting a bucket full of water under the lower unit to see if it picks up on it's own????
    You also may have an obstruction keeping water from circulating.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Thanks for all the responses.

The motor water ejection stream stream was evident while running. The motor is a 2005.

Googling the problem there are suggestions the low oil sensor in the oil tank may be the problem. Just weird the motor was fine last year and no problem at home this year. Then get to the lake and experience the “alarm.”

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

The motor water ejection stream stream was evident while running. The motor is a 2005.

Googling the problem there are suggestions the low oil sensor in the oil tank may be the problem. Just weird the motor was fine last year and no problem at home this year. Then get to the lake and experience the “alarm.”

Remember, boats were made to pour money into and this....... is a new year. :spend:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Note harry's Post (#11). His idea of impeller issues are worth testing also. And easy to reproduce.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Note harry's Post (#11). His idea of impeller issues are worth testing also. And easy to reproduce.

Just seems odd there would not be an impeller issue from one season to the next with no additional hours and the fact the alarm sounds when just turning the key on - motor not runnng so can’t be overheating.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just seems odd there would not be an impeller issue from one season to the next with no additional hours and the fact the alarm sounds when just turning the key on - motor not runnng so can’t be overheating.

Dead cockroach? ....mouse?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Impellers dry rot and SHOULD be replaced every few years. NAPA is my go to supplier for boat parts behind the dealerships.
    Sensor, corroded wiring, or obstruction is where I'd be looking.
    I haven't looked BUT Google and YouTube are some great sources of info.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Water stream when you were on the lake....?????

This would verify a good impeller.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Water stream when you were on the lake....?????

This would verify a good impeller.

That should be checked at every start up.
    I once had a boat with an aluminum riser that corroded on the inside to the point the impeller wouldn’t push seawater. Took forever to troubleshoot and was an easy fix once identified.

Im betting on the bad sensor since it goes off at start up. Even with no impeller, you should be able to run for a short time without overheating.

Good luck!!

Top Bottom