• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Having some problems with my new external drive for our receiver. Our old one is a WD AV 3Tb drive but it's old and I think it's starting to act up. Programs locking up, etc. Ordered a new WD Red NAS 4Tb with a new enclosure. Shut everything down, hooked up the new drive then fired it back up. It shortly detected the drive and said it was going to format it. Within a second or two it failed and gave an error code of 75 and wanted me to reset the system and try again. Tried several times. Turned the drive on first and let it spin up then turned the system back on. Turned them both on at the same time. Let the system fully boot into live TV then turned the drive on. Failed every time. Took the drive and hooked it up to my Linux machine and used Gparted to format it to NTFS since it was unformatted to see if that would help, nope. Same thing with EXT3. Spent 90 minutes on the phone with DTV doing it all again, same results. They are sending out a replacement unit to try. I don't think it will matter. The old external drive fired right back up. The new drive is working just fine when hooked to the computer. They said if the new unit doesn't work then they can upgrade us to the Genie (from our HR24) but we would have to extend our contract.

Enclosure: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KGNXTE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Drive: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHBERSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any thoughts or things I haven't tried but should? We've done this 2 other times with other drives and never had any problems, same receiver.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Having some problems with my new external drive for our receiver. Our old one is a WD AV 3Tb drive but it's old and I think it's starting to act up. Programs locking up, etc. Ordered a new WD Red NAS 4Tb with a new enclosure. Shut everything down, hooked up the new drive then fired it back up. It shortly detected the drive and said it was going to format it. Within a second or two it failed and gave an error code of 75 and wanted me to reset the system and try again. Tried several times. Turned the drive on first and let it spin up then turned the system back on. Turned them both on at the same time. Let the system fully boot into live TV then turned the drive on. Failed every time. Took the drive and hooked it up to my Linux machine and used Gparted to format it to NTFS since it was unformatted to see if that would help, nope. Same thing with EXT3. Spent 90 minutes on the phone with DTV doing it all again, same results. They are sending out a replacement unit to try. I don't think it will matter. The old external drive fired right back up. The new drive is working just fine when hooked to the computer. They said if the new unit doesn't work then they can upgrade us to the Genie (from our HR24) but we would have to extend our contract.

Enclosure: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KGNXTE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Drive: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHBERSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any thoughts or things I haven't tried but should? We've done this 2 other times with other drives and never had any problems, same receiver.
    If you're handy, you could take it apart and replace the internal drive. You'll read a lot of fear mongering about being charged for damaging the receiver upon returning it but no actual stories of someone being charged. Alternately if they'll send you the HR54 without charging you that is likely a better deal. Also comes apart much easier to replace said drive.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Well, computer is almost back to normal after futzing with it for the past day and a half...

They are sending me a replacement box, should be here in a few days. They said the HR24 is old enough that they don't even want it back. They told me to just take it to the recycling center. Gonna wait until it gets here then try something out.

I was a member of sataliteguys forum many years ago. While searching I found a few threads on eSATA and the HR24. One of them mentioned that only certain enclosures seemed to work with it and there were some recommendations and a few other threads. I started reading and checking out the links of the ones they said were good to go, first link took me to Amazon. Clicked on it and right there at the top it said I already purchased that item back in 2012.

After reading a bit more I remembered that I ordered that particular enclosure for a reason, that must be it. When the new unit gets here I'll put the new drive in the old box and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I'll crack the box open (if I can find my special torx bits with the hole) and see if that does it. I'm sure one of them will work.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, computer is almost back to normal after futzing with it for the past day and a half...

They are sending me a replacement box, should be here in a few days. They said the HR24 is old enough that they don't even want it back. They told me to just take it to the recycling center. Gonna wait until it gets here then try something out.

I was a member of sataliteguys forum many years ago. While searching I found a few threads on eSATA and the HR24. One of them mentioned that only certain enclosures seemed to work with it and there were some recommendations and a few other threads. I started reading and checking out the links of the ones they said were good to go, first link took me to Amazon. Clicked on it and right there at the top it said I already purchased that item back in 2012.

After reading a bit more I remembered that I ordered that particular enclosure for a reason, that must be it. When the new unit gets here I'll put the new drive in the old box and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I'll crack the box open (if I can find my special torx bits with the hole) and see if that does it. I'm sure one of them will work.
    I had just assumed you were using the same enclosure for the new drive, should have asked. If the send you an hr-54 they are super easy to open if you want to go that route. All you need is a paperclip.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    They said if the new unit doesn't work then they can upgrade us to the Genie...

We have the Genie. It's OK. Biggest disappointment was opening the box and NOT finding Derek Jeter's wife...;)

DirecTV-Genie-630x342.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I had just assumed you were using the same enclosure for the new drive, should have asked. If the send you an hr-54 they are super easy to open if you want to go that route. All you need is a paperclip.

I wasn't sure which component was going to fail. Figured I'd just replace everything. Got a nice new enclosure with a fan, cables and drive. I completely forgot that it may need a special one. I'm almost sure that's what it is. There's no point in trying it before the new unit gets here, I'll have to redo it then anyway because of the new card.

I wouldn't mind getting the HR-54 but that requires a new contract with the "upgrade". If I have to go that way then I want the new customer price as well. There's a huge price difference in what I'm paying for my package and what the new customers pay. After being a customer for a decade and a half I'm NOT going to start a new contract for just a receiver, especially since we have their outrageously priced protection package. The guy told me that they are just junking the HR-24's. I asked about a software update since my last one was back in January. He said I have the latest and there will be no more updates either.

I'm hoping everything works, I don't want to have to futz with it any more than I have to.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    We have the Genie. It's OK. Biggest disappointment was opening the box and NOT finding Derek Jeter's wife...;)

DirecTV-Genie-630x342.jpg

Nice hardware, not sure who she is so I don't know about the stability of the software. It appears to be some kind of premium package. I'd hate to see what that upgrade would cost though. Long term costs, monthly fees, protection plan...it all adds up.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...not sure who she is...

Hannah Davis, now Hannah Jeter. She was the "genie" on the first Direct TV Genie commercials. And on the cover of SI's swimsuit issue. Not at all hard to look at.:wwub:

... I'd hate to see what that upgrade would cost though. Long term costs, monthly fees, protection plan...it all adds up.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.;)

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wasn't sure which component was going to fail. Figured I'd just replace everything. Got a nice new enclosure with a fan, cables and drive. I completely forgot that it may need a special one. I'm almost sure that's what it is. There's no point in trying it before the new unit gets here, I'll have to redo it then anyway because of the new card.
    Points to DirecTV for offering the expanded capacity option, loss of points for implementation.

They should work with you if you really want to upgrade. As long as you've been a subscriber they should be throwing equipment at you. If you are so inclined, the direct customer retention number should be out on the internetz. They will be the ones to get you upgraded/cut your costs for a time.

Top Bottom