The "I'm not frugal, I'm cheap. " thread...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Many of us live on a shoestring budget. What are some things that you have done to save a buck here and there to make the dollars stretch until they scream for mercy?
    I'll start. Never pay what's on the window sticker on a vehicle, and never buy new. On my last 3 vehicles combined, these two tactics plus negotiations, put over $5000 back in my pocket.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Shop at Aldi or other discount food places. If there are certain name-brand foods, etc, you won't compromise on, at least shop for sales.

If you shop online a lot, use Ebates. Once you sign up for free, you just log into any of thousands of online retailers through the Ebates site and instantly receive anywhere from 1%-15% cash back on your purchase. I receive an ebates check for anywhere from $15-$35 a month for doing absolutely nothing.

Also, before making an online (or in-store) purchase at a major retailer, check for online coupons. The Ebates site, Retailmenot, or CouponCabin all have promo codes. Sometimes they work, other times they don't, but if you can find a coupon for an extra 10% off from a major purchase, it's well worth it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Buy new clothes/shoes every 5ish years, not every few months like the Mrs would like.

DoggyMama is always bugging me to get new clothes for work (business casual). Her reasoning is "The people you work with see you wearing the same clothes year after year!" My reasoning is, "So? My work clothes are like a "uniform". Nobody complained when I wore a white shirt and white pants every day while I was working in a restaurant." Now to be fair, I can't complain about her clothing budget. She's a big fan of Goodwill and garage sales.

Shop at Aldi or other discount food places. If there are certain name-brand foods, etc, you won't compromise on, at least shop for sales.

If you shop online a lot, use Ebates. Once you sign up for free, you just log into any of thousands of online retailers through the Ebates site and instantly receive anywhere from 1%-15% cash back on your purchase. I receive an ebates check for anywhere from $15-$35 a month for doing absolutely nothing.

Also, before making an online (or in-store) purchase at a major retailer, check for online coupons. The Ebates site, Retailmenot, or CouponCabin all have promo codes. Sometimes they work, other times they don't, but if you can find a coupon for an extra 10% off from a major purchase, it's well worth it.

Heading there this morning. I always do the bulk of our grocery shopping at Aldi. In some cases their store brand stuff is better than what I find at Kroger (my other main grocery store), name brand or not. I might have to check out Ebates. I see their commercials all the time. Do they list gun-related sites? Because that seems to be the bulk of my online shopping.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    If I find something on a decent sale at Cabela's, I go to Raise.com and get a gift card for about that amount at a 10-15% discount. Then use the gift card to purchase. On top of the sale price, getting a little more.

We have An Amish Discount Bulk Grocery near here. Some good deals can be found.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Aldi's is great too. I have to plan those trips though (45 min away), because the gas would eat up any savings. That and the one "General Merch Aisle" Kills us a little too often.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ... never buy new. On my last 3 vehicles combined, these two tactics plus negotiations,

I generally buy new and drive them long term. I don't negotiate. I send out bid requests to every dealer in 150 mile radius. Almost every dealer has a Internet Sales office now. I send out the exact vehicle and options I want and request a bid. Those who respond get told what the lowest bid one and that I'm doing one more round, best offer OTD without sales tax (which lets me compare Kentucky dealers) gets my business. I use the manufacturer's website, TrueCar, and Edmunds to make sure I know about all of the rebates I'm eligible for. I bought my truck new in 2012 that way and was only a few thousand over the cost of a comparable 2 year old used truck. I bought my wife's car in a similar way, but leased it for the extra incentives on leasing. At 13 months, I bought out the lease. That saved a touch over $1k over just paying cash up front.

Some vehicle types it makes sense to buy used (luxury cars, for example) but others as long as you intend to drive them for 10y + and you buy right new can be the way to go (more basic pickup trucks).

On a more routine basis, Amazon has an app for your phone that lets you scan the bar code of an item in a store and automatically price compare. I buy most of my "stuff" online anyway, easy price comparison and limited impulse purchases, but when I buy something in person of any consequence I price compare and then the store will match it. Best Buy, Lowe's, etc. will price match.

I buy most of my clothes on ebay or Amazon. Lots of new with or without tags for half or less what they retail for. Pants I generally have to try on, so I price match like above at a retail store. Suits, ebay. I wear suits to work that are $600-$2,500 retail (Hickey Freeman, Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, etc) and never have more than $150 in a given suit. I know my measurements, so I can buy online and then take it to a seamstress to have it altered as needed.

Firearms related, reloading saves money if you shoot expensive cartridges. You won't save a lot loading 9mm, if any. Loading .45 Colt? Way cheaper.

No cable tv. I don't get a bill and I see fewer commercials to tempt me to buy stuff I don't need.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Time is a factor when shopping. Sometimes (most of the time) that is worth paying a bit more just to get the fridge/pantry stocked. We do Sams as often as possible. It is a bit more work to buy in bulk (again the time thing) but pays off in the long haul.

I buy Carhart/Levi/lee/Redwing clothing. It is silly expensive on the initial but 5 years later when I am still wearing the shirts/sweatshirts/pants etc and they are holding up that is where the savings comes into play.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I run EVERYTHING through my Chase card so I can earn cashback points. Those points have paid for at least two guns and a lot more. Gas, food, medical bills, whatever I can goes on there. I have my paypal set up to come out of my Chase VISA rather than my bank account.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I haven't bought any clothes save for a t-shirt or two in the last ten years. Probably one of the reasons I live alone.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I haven't bought any clothes save for a t-shirt or two in the last ten years. Probably one of the reasons I live alone.

Serious question, what kind of pants (if any) are you wearing? I seldom have to buy shirts, but I need pants every 2-3 years.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I once got free Arby's for a year.

They would give you receipts with a survey, and you fill it out... get a free meal. Well, the cashier kept giving me receipts with the free ones, too... so you fill it out... get a free meal. Over and over.

If you like Starbucks iced drinks... you can order the espresso shots and just make the drink at the condiment bar. Cups of ice are free.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Serious question, what kind of pants (if any) are you wearing? I seldom have to buy shirts, but I need pants every 2-3 years.

I tend to gain a little weight in the winter and lose it in the summer. About every other year, it fluctuates to the point where I need to jump up or down a waist size.

What that means is that I keep a plastic tote in the closet with all of the pants that I currently don't wear, but are still fine, and that I know I'll be wearing again.

So, I own roughly double the number of pairs of pants, but I may get 6 years out of a pair, though I only wear them for 3 of those.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

I wear a uniform at work so I don't have to worry about wear and tear on my stuff. I rarely go anywhere except the grocery store or an occasional trip to the range so I usually hang out at home in shorts or comfy pants. But when I do go somewhere it is in Levi's or Dockers, something like that.

The key is wearing pants as little as possible.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I stuff my Holsters with wadded up paper so I can regulate them for other guns. One holster, 10 Guns.

images

Top Bottom