• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've never had a tonneau on my pickups before but I think it would be a nice addition. That bed space would be nice to have sometimes, and the cover would make it usable during wet weather. I spend a lot of time on the highway these days.

I've been doing a little homework and I really like the retractable "roll-up" kind. I was looking at the Retrax Pro MX. https://www.retrax.com/p-36464-retraxpro-mx.html

I'm hesitant to order one because they are on pricey compared to other tonneau covers. So thought I'd ping my fellow INGOers before pulling the trigger and ordering it.

Has anyone out there purchased the Retrax Pro-MX? Are you happy with it? Not?

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't know about the brand specifically, but the couple people I knew with those style didn't keep them very long... issues like ice jamming up the works, bad motors, etc... that's also been a few years ago, maybe they've figured some things out since then...

-rvb

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I don't know about the brand specifically, but the couple people I knew with those style didn't keep them very long... issues like ice jamming up the works, bad motors, etc... that's also been a few years ago, maybe they've figured some things out since then...

-rvb

Thanks rvb. The brand I mentioned does come in an electrically driven model with a remote. I don't see much advantage in spending the extra bucks for the motorized version since I have to be right next to the stupid thing anyway whenever I need to open it. So I'm not going with the motorized one. I suppose ice could be a concern with any tonneau cover, but those days are going to be few. My main reason for installing a tonneau is to be able to have the bed space available to haul cargo in wet weather. Appreciate the feedback. :ingo:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I've had a roll up type bed cover and it was nothing but a headache. It wasn't the brand you are looking at, but it was enough that I will never buy that type again. I really like the extang hard folding covers. They are light enough that one person can take them off.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've had a roll up type bed cover and it was nothing but a headache. It wasn't the brand you are looking at, but it was enough that I will never buy that type again. I really like the extang hard folding covers. They are light enough that one person can take them off.

Appreciate the feedback. This is the first time I've heard of Extang. Will do some research on their products. Thanks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Tri-fold.

Its very easy to use, and you can flip it forward to have partial access to the bed. I only take mine off when I'm hauling a lot of brush.

Also, with the gaskets, very water-tight.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I ran an Xtang snapless soft tonneau for 12 years and it served me well. Simple to open or close and simple to maintain. Hard covers are OK but if you need the use of the whole bed they all have their problems. Here's a link to what I had and I would buy the same one today if I needed one.https://www.extang.com/p-36833-tuff-tonno.html

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    II really like the extang hard folding covers. They are light enough that one person can take them off.

Tri-fold.

Its very easy to use, and you can flip it forward to have partial access to the bed. I only take mine off when I'm hauling a lot of brush.

My Dad has a soft tri-fold. It's pretty nice. Easy/light to take off if you want to use the whole bed.
    At one time I had an aluminum quad-fold, never really liked it. Heavy, hot, and couldn't get but 75% of bed use.

My favorite tonneau so far is a basic soft roll up, using Velcro for the sides. I don't remember the brand I had, but there are lots of good brands out there. In-expensive, keeps water out, reliable, easy, can get full bed use w/o removing anything. a good reliable KISS solution.

Now I have a cap. Love it, best solution yet.... Pricey being color matched, but I can haul a LOT of stuff and keep it dry, and not be limited by the ~2' height limit. Not so easy to haul dirt and stuff, but that's ok, mulch delivery is cheap and I don't have to spend the afternoon cleaning out my truck... It's a little more hassle moving walls and stuff around the range when setting up matches, but still works.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I ran an Xtang snapless soft tonneau for 12 years and it served me well. Simple to open or close and simple to maintain. Hard covers are OK but if you need the use of the whole bed they all have their problems. Here's a link to what I had and I would buy the same one today if I needed one.https://www.extang.com/p-36833-tuff-tonno.html

I see extang still uses those spring loaded cross members.... there are better solutions out there.
    wish I remember the brand I had, the cross members velcro'd to the cover and rolled up with it.... with one hand, everything rolled up. clip a couple of retaining straps, and done. no cross members to stow away....

owned both. the cross members could be a PITA sometimes.

20+ years of pickup driving, I've gone through a few as my needs evolved. Some didn't last because of quality, some because of design/function.

roll up soft cover and a full size cap are my two fav options...

-rvb

eta: my current setup with the cap....
    83210-albums2616-picture14988.jpeg

Last edited:

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I had a fiberglass flat top on my 98 Ford, looked great and I could see over it, but got tired of not being able to put anything large in bed of truck. Dumped it and put on an aluminum cap- worked great. On my 09 Ram I put on a 1 1/2 story fiberglass cap- it is wondermous! Can get a lazy-boy chair in it easily. Heavy to remove it though, so I built a gantry to hang it on. Now removal is a one person job.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My Dad has a soft tri-fold. It's pretty nice. Easy/light to take off if you want to use the whole bed.

That's what I've got. I thought about the aluminum but heard they dent very easily from relatively minor impacts, like acorns falling out of a tree.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    That's what I've got. I thought about the aluminum but heard they dent very easily from relatively minor impacts, like acorns falling out of a tree.

My Dad and I have matching trucks, only mine is red and his is grey....
    when they were new I used the soft cover I linked to above, and he got the tri fold. (I stepped up to the cap when we got the camper... couldn't fit everything we wanted to take under it, esp bikes).
    I still liked my roll-up slightly better than his trifold. but only slightly
    (mainly because you have to unlatch it from both sides, just more walking around vs just starting at the back corner and working forward. and you had to reach in farther to unlatch it. Not a big deal, but a bit more pain if in a crowded parking lot for example and you don't have much room to put the tailgate down...).

Yes, the aluminum fold-up I had on my previous truck dented easy. the seals over the hinges gave out and it leaked water. It got HOT sitting in the sun... like burn your hand hot when you tried to open it, and it was heavy to remove, where the soft ones can be taken on-off w/o effort.

-rvb

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Hm, My dad's Extang aluminum trifold is going on 8 years now and it doesn't have any dents in it, and he takes if off and on by himself all the time. Its never leaked either that I know of. Maybe their quality has dropped.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have a BAK Revolver roll up cover and love it.

Waterproof, armored, secure locking along the entire length of the side rails, simple to use. 6’ model cost me $775.

Looks like a vinyl cover but it has heavy duty interlocking aluminum slats for security, locking cams every 2” along the side rails, and rolled up it does not block the view out the rear. Honest takes 60 seconds from locked to completely open and ready to drive. Less than 60 seconds to reseal from open. You can unlock it from either side and because it’s a rigid rolling cover you simply roll it from either side, or even push it back from the center (but you won’t get it all the way open because you can’t reach far enough to completely roll it open. Simple enough for my wife to use without complaint:)

Very secure, it would be easier to break the tailgate lock than to go through this cover. No Velcro than can be pried up along the sides like other brands to give false security.

Took me about 30 min to install myself.

You can add an optional under cover tool box from BAK that folds out of the way when you need full access to the bed, the bed cover acts as the tool box cover too.

Sits flush with the bed rails instead of on top of the rails for the lowest profile of any top I’ve seen.

If you prefer a Tri-Fold then look at BAK for their folding tops. Same aluminum backed security as their Revolver covers with your choice of 2 different vinyl covers.

FWIW, any of the rolling or folding covers have issues in the winter with snow. Snow must be removed. Not a real big deal for me because mine is parked in the garage year around, but any brand of roller or folder needs the snow cleaned off.

LINK TO BAK INDUSTRIES Revolver rolling covers ==> https://bakindustries.com

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Hm, My dad's Extang aluminum trifold is going on 8 years now and it doesn't have any dents in it, and he takes if off and on by himself all the time. Its never leaked either that I know of. Maybe their quality has dropped.

or gotten better... I had my almn fold-up circa '03-'08....

-rvb

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have a BAK Revolver roll up cover and love it.

Waterproof, armored, secure locking along the entire length of the side rails, simple to use. 6’ model cost me $775.

Looks like a vinyl cover but it has heavy duty interlocking aluminum slats for security, locking cams every 2” along the side rails, and rolled up it does not block the view out the rear. Honest takes 60 seconds from locked to completely open and ready to drive. Less than 60 seconds to reseal from open. You can unlock it from either side and because it’s a rigid rolling cover you simply roll it from either side, or even push it back from the center (but you won’t get it all the way open because you can’t reach far enough to completely roll it open. Simple enough for my wife to use without complaint:)

Very secure, it would be easier to break the tailgate lock than to go through this cover. No Velcro than can be pried up along the sides like other brands to give false security.

Took me about 30 min to install myself.

You can add an optional under cover tool box from BAK that folds out of the way when you need full access to the bed, the bed cover acts as the tool box cover too.

Sits flush with the bed rails instead of on top of the rails for the lowest profile of any top I’ve seen.

If you prefer a Tri-Fold then look at BAK for their folding tops. Same aluminum backed security as their Revolver covers with your choice of 2 different vinyl covers.

FWIW, any of the rolling or folding covers have issues in the winter with snow. Snow must be removed. Not a real big deal for me because mine is parked in the garage year around, but any brand of roller or folder needs the snow cleaned off.

LINK TO BAK INDUSTRIES Revolver rolling covers ==> https://bakindustries.com

This! I dont have one of these because I didn't want to spend the money but these are very nice covers. Tuxedo also has a version like the revolver x. One day I will get one.

I currently have a cheap tuxedo cover. Think I paid 230ish on Amazon. It's not the best but keeps the bed pretty dry and stuff out of sight for people walking by.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I have a tri fold. Have for about 2 years. I love it. Easy to use and keeps things dry.

I priced around auto parts stores and bought it at rockauto.com and was about $200 cheaper shipped..

Top Bottom