• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This is a post from a physician i’ve worked with in the past. Her insight is incredible and it helped me be more compassionate to those who struggle with addiction, and more patient with those who don’t have it as good as I do.

——

My sister died yesterday. A tormented life that was largely measured in misfortune and tragedy mercifully came to a close in a relatively peaceful fashion. I’m grateful that I was able to make it home in time to say goodbye and tell her that she was loved. Even when she was in her darkest places, I still loved her.

My sister lied to me. She stole from me. She sent me and my husband on wild goose chases that cost us tens of thousands of dollars and immeasurable hours of our lives. But, I am the one who is indebted to her.

Why? First of all, she made what I think was the greatest decision in her life by letting me and Eric adopt Vanessa. Someday this girl will know what a beautiful sacrifice her biological mother made.

Secondly, my sister was a reminder of how far I have come. It helps me forgive myself for all of my shortcomings. More importantly, though, she was a reminder of where I could’ve gone. This helps me forgive others for their shortcomings.

Because, you see, no child dreams of someday growing up to be a drug addict. They don’t aspire to a life of squalor and low self-esteem. They don’t hope to have a series of disastrous relationships or to prostitute themselves or to betray the very few people who actually care about them. Getting to this place does not happen overnight.

Rhonda was a happy child once. Even in our disadvantaged childhood. She loved Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony and the Care Bears. But, she lived in an environment that lacked supervision and nurturing and consistency. I know some people tried but it was not sufficient for her. My brother and I are about 10 years older and we moved out as soon as we could. Our grandparents died when she was still very young so she was denied that positive influence. We were raised by a single mother who had her own struggles but certainly didn’t want this for her youngest child. And by the time it was clear that there was a problem, she was too limited to fix it.

Which makes me reflect on how I made it out. Knowing how different our lives are, one may think we are separated by an infinite abyss. The truth is, it may only be a handful of lucky breaks and good decisions that sent us on different directions in life. That teacher that encouraged me or gave me a second chance. That friend’s family that was always nice to me and made me feel welcome. That coach that didn’t sigh too loudly or complain when my parents were late to pick me up or flat out forgot. My grandparents. The aunts and uncles that tried to be encouraging and reminded me to study hard in school. If I knew the actual number of events that put me squarely on the right path, I might be terrified of how small it is.

Because an equally small number could have sent me down the same road as my sister.

I was with Rhonda a lot when she was trying to get clean. It was devastating to see the pain it put her through. And the shame and hopelessness. She would share with me visions she would have about the life she wanted. The dreams she would share were so ordinary that they were pitiful. Things like hanging out with other moms at a ballgame, sharing sodas and snacks while they watched their kids play. Or calling to say she was late coming home from work and ask if we want her to pick anything up. Things that were so simple for the rest of us that we don’t even notice it yet for her they were completely out of reach.

So, I guess I’m sharing this to say two things. One, I loved my sister. Even If I had to love her from a distance to protect myself… I still loved her. Second, don’t ever underestimate the impact you may have on an at-risk child. It may be twenty years before that kid realizes that you were pivotal in changing their life. Or, they may not ever realize that you were part of what saved them. But, don’t minimalize the impact of genuine caring.

Some people have reached out to see if there is anything they can do. If there is a memorial fund or charity, I will let you know. For now I just want to say thank you.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Addicts are often treated with hate and scorn, while it may not be healthy to have them close in your life the hate shows a weakness of your own character. Most addicts hate themselves for what they have become plenty enough.

I hope for bad things to happen to those that will steal and hurt people. People who are horribly physically addicted to a substance I pity and hope life will get better for them.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Lost my little cousin to heroine 2 years ago. Was like my little brother, grew up a block down the road, 3 years younger than me. Was together every day, let him live with me while he was in college. After college he moved to an apartment in Indy, I had a family and we grew apart. Somehow he got hooked up with some girl that got him doing it and couldn’t quit. Went to jail for it and right after he was released he was back on it. Biggest regret was telling him he’s not allowed at my house until he’s clean, trying to protect my kids. Only thing I can say is don’t stop at anything to get them clean, if you’re waiting on them to do it they won’t by themselves, as I found out the hard way. It’s hard to watch someone you love struggle with something you have no clue about, but the end result is always the same if they don’t get help.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Lost my little cousin to heroine 2 years ago. Was like my little brother, grew up a block down the road, 3 years younger than me. Was together every day, let him live with me while he was in college. After college he moved to an apartment in Indy, I had a family and we grew apart. Somehow he got hooked up with some girl that got him doing it and couldn’t quit. Went to jail for it and right after he was released he was back on it. Biggest regret was telling him he’s not allowed at my house until he’s clean, trying to protect my kids. Only thing I can say is don’t stop at anything to get them clean, if you’re waiting on them to do it they won’t by themselves, as I found out the hard way. It’s hard to watch someone you love struggle with something you have no clue about, but the end result is always the same if they don’t get help.
    Sadly, until they are ready to help themselves, no amount of outside efforts are going to make them do so. We lost DoggyMama's daughter to this last year.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm willing to bet that almost every single one of us knows someone (or is someone) struggling with an addiction of one kind or another.

Be kind to people - you never know what kinds of battles they're dealing with.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    These stories keep us humble. None of us are successful by ourselves, and none of us are too far away from being in a similar situation. Sure, some folks repeatedly make bad decisions and end up in these places, but some happen due to injuries, depression, or a number of other things. Don’t get too proud of yourself.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I don't think what you did is an issue. I get that you wish you could have helped and had it turn out differently, but protecting your kids is job #1.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yep, addition is a horrible thing. Compassion isn't always easy, but it's always in order. Compassion doesn't all means permissiveness and it never means ignoring the problem, but it probably always means going further than we really want to.

However, in the midst of our compassion for the hurting person, we should take note of the things that went wrong in their lives. We are not out here all on some cosmic playing field where some are chosen by the fates for addiction and others are not. There are root causes. When a person is struggling, that's not the time to tell them all the ways they have failed, but there may be a time for that. If not, making these observations can help us avoid that path.

In the end, we all have our own weaknesses, and we would do well to keep that in mind and ask ourselves how we would like people to respond to them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I think we all know someone who is going through something like that poor sister was. It's frustrating knowing there's nothing you can do to help someone who doesn't want your help.

Good thing is, as this writer tells us, even good can come from the darkest and saddest tragedies. And we never know what the ripple effects will be for even the smallest things we do to people, some of whom we do not even know.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, addition is a horrible thing. Compassion isn't always easy, but it's always in order. Compassion doesn't all means permissiveness and it never means ignoring the problem, but it probably always means going further than we really want to.

However, in the midst of our compassion for the hurting person, we should take note of the things that went wrong in their lives. We are not out here all on some cosmic playing field where some are chosen by the fates for addiction and others are not. There are root causes. When a person is struggling, that's not the time to tell them all the ways they have failed, but there may be a time for that. If not, making these observations can help us avoid that path.

In the end, we all have our own weaknesses, and we would do well to keep that in mind and ask ourselves how we would like people to respond to them.

It's a lot better than integral calculus or differential equations!

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My Pastor once taught a sermon on how easy it is to judge others on the things you’re not tempted by, it’s stuck with me! I was exceptional at that very thing, he stomped my toes pretty hard that day, but they needed the stomp.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm willing to bet that almost every single one of us knows someone (or is someone) struggling with an addiction of one kind or another.

Be kind to people - you never know what kinds of battles they're dealing with.
    When I was working in the ER, I created this poster for our breakroom, just as a reminder. The hospital administration saw it and liked it so much, they posted it all over the hospital.

picture upload sites

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My Pastor once taught a sermon on how easy it is to judge others on the things you’re not tempted by, it’s stuck with me! I was exceptional at that very thing, he stomped my toes pretty hard that day, but they needed the stomp.

This. I don't understand why people would not be able to resist cigarettes or gambling or drugs, but here I sit at double the weight I should be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This. I don't understand why people would not be able to resist cigarettes or gambling or drugs, but here I sit at double the weight I should be.

We all have addictive natures. I have managed to steer mine towards positive areas. After some years as a much younger man watching the drug culture start to grow around me I have seen much and had some experiences in the dark side. Many who take that course can never find the light again.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    All I see of the addiction is those who come into where I work, they steal from us, they use our bathrooms to shoot up or snort or however they choose to ingest their drug of choice. Some prostitute our lot at night.
    I've had way to many OD's, all survived. I made sure to get them 911 so they had a chance. I prayed they would get clean, not live this life. It's hard to remember they are someones Sister, Brother, Daughter, Son, when I see the things they do, when I have to get dozens of police reports a month for the theft they have committed. when our bottom line is so compromised because they need their next fix, a bite to eat, whatever their reason for stealing.
    In the end, I just pray for them and tell myself it is a horrible addiction.

Top Bottom