What now? My normal shoulder doc moved to Arizona. Dr. Misamore or I. U. Med?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have zero experience with any other doctors or medical centers except when my mom had a liver operation and died at I. U. Med. It was risky since she had stage 4 liver cancer so I don't fault the facility or staff. God's will.
    So, I checked out health grades, blah blah but still can't decide where to go. I definitely won't go back to the V. A. since they had first try and 2 surgeries later...
    Anyhoo, I had a slight boo-boo. I had a Steelcase desk fall on me. I fell on my bad shoulder and the 200+ pound desk landed on top of me. I am in total agony. My normal pain management meds ain't working. I have supplemented with CBD oil to no avail. On top of that, I have a broken C-5 / 4 area in my neck.
    Maybe someone just shoot me? They still put horses down and I have been called the caboose and of one of those or a mule for years!

CKW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    We have had nothing but positive at IUHealth.
    They saved my husband when diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and I just went through a series of operations there. Top shelf all the he way.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Dr Waits in Danville gets my vote. He did Mom's reverse-shoulder replacement, and the knee surgery on the Olympic Silver Medal cyclist's knee (Chloe Dygert from Brownsburg).

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have zero experience with any other doctors or medical centers except when my mom had a liver operation and died at I. U. Med. It was risky since she had stage 4 liver cancer so I don't fault the facility or staff. God's will.
    So, I checked out health grades, blah blah but still can't decide where to go. I definitely won't go back to the V. A. since they had first try and 2 surgeries later...
    Anyhoo, I had a slight boo-boo. I had a Steelcase desk fall on me. I fell on my bad shoulder and the 200+ pound desk landed on top of me. I am in total agony. My normal pain management meds ain't working. I have supplemented with CBD oil to no avail. On top of that, I have a broken C-5 / 4 area in my neck.
    Maybe someone just shoot me? They still put horses down and I have been called the caboose and of one of those or a mule for years!

It might make a difference based on what exactly is the issue with your shoulder. What were the first two surgeries for, rotator cuff repair etc.?

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    My neighbor had shoulder surgery at the Lafayette Orthopedic Clinic. He said it could not have gone better. Was very happy with the whole experience. Dr. Highhouse. He even went shooting with us at the Linden Conservation Club a couple of times.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have no rotor cuff or supraspinatis. My bicep tendon was torn and rerouted thru my front delt to tie in with what was left of my shoulder. I have 17 Biomet Juggerknots holding my ball into the socket. Both ball and socket are very worn. Zero cartilage left in any area close to my right shoulder. My ball used to fall out of the socket all the time. Needless to say, it hurt a lot before surgery. I was doing very well with about a pain level 4 out of 10 until the desk fell on me. My regular shoulder doc was specialized in shoulders only so I am highly inclined to find the same type of orthopedic doc. I just have zero experience with anybody else & I am skeptical that a "normal" orthopod can help since I am a candidate for the glue factory. I have had 18 back procedures including being gutted in the front and that area herniating years later. Very wary right now and am asking for help from anyone that has had good to great experience in that area.

I am very active as I am a millwright plus I have a K9 and lots of yard / house to upkeep. I still go to the gym and work out plus have progressed into a little Systema v.s. my normal martial arts (JKD). I have laid off the weights for now as it is almost crippling the next 3-4 days after.:rolleyes:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    For my shoulder I saw Dr. Kollias at ortho indy and loved the results.

My son had a very messed up shoulder that he'd been told he could just rehab. When that wasn't working, we got a recommendation to see Dr. Kollias, who diagnosed him and performed a surgery that fixed him up very well. That was over ten years ago, and the shoulder is still good, even with him working out (hard) at the gym several days a week.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    My son had a very messed up shoulder that he'd been told he could just rehab. When that wasn't working, we got a recommendation to see Dr. Kollias, who diagnosed him and performed a surgery that fixed him up very well. That was over ten years ago, and the shoulder is still good, even with him working out (hard) at the gym several days a week.

dad? Is that you? Mine was about 10 years ago too. I had something similar happen. I was seeing another doctor who kept sending me to PT. I wasn't getting any better. Went to Kollias had me do a new PT routine. After maybe 6 weeks still wasn't getting any better. He did the surgery.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    dad? Is that you? Mine was about 10 years ago too. I had something similar happen. I was seeing another doctor who kept sending me to PT. I wasn't getting any better. Went to Kollias had me do a new PT routine. After maybe 6 weeks still wasn't getting any better. He did the surgery.
    He said HIS son works out at the gym ;)

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Dave,

If you have no cuff and no cartilage, from a surgical standpoint your only option is a reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. Your age would dictatate how willing a surgeon would be to operate on that shoulder. After you have had a reverse, there’s really no other options with the shoulder....meaning if it would fail...you are sort of stuck with what you got. I work directly for/with a fellowship trained shoulder surgeon, his threshold age for a reverse is age 70. That’s conservative and I know there are guys out there putting them in much younger folks. Misamore would be fine or Brian Badman in the Indy area.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Here we have an awkward moment. Just remember that I had wanted to tell you many years ago......................

But seriously, I can't tell you how much of a relief it was when, after all my son had been through, Dr. Kollias took one look at him and said "Give me your hands......ok, pull this way....now pull that way........" and within 5 minutes said "Yeah, you have structural damage to your rotator cuff and your biceps tendon, and likely an impacted nerve". Later, the MRI confirmed everything he said. I just felt like we were in good hands, and it turned out that we were. I've had a few experiences with medical care involving loved ones, and Dr. Kollias and Ortho Indy tops my list for professionalism and quality care.

He said HIS son works out at the gym ;)

LOL

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Was Agrawal your shoulder Doc?

You betcha! Vivek and I go waaaay back. The US Navy did the first shoulder op. Dr. Frank Johnson Jr. did my second when the labrum was torn but he did zero for the rotor cuff and suprastinitis <- Frickin Richard Cranium of a shoulder doc if you ask me. Dr. Agrawal said he that it was old tears which Johnson should've fixed when he addressed it for my last surgery hence the need for the multiple Juggerknots. Oh yeah, I have very little labrum since it thinned out trying to stabilize the joint.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Dave,

If you have no cuff and no cartilage, from a surgical standpoint your only option is a reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. Your age would dictatate how willing a surgeon would be to operate on that shoulder. After you have had a reverse, there’s really no other options with the shoulder....meaning if it would fail...you are sort of stuck with what you got. I work directly for/with a fellowship trained shoulder surgeon, his threshold age for a reverse is age 70. That’s conservative and I know there are guys out there putting them in much younger folks. Misamore would be fine or Brian Badman in the Indy area.

I am 54. My insurance (Anthem) won't pay for one until I retire or go out on disability. I have the VA on the hook for disability too but they want me to work as long as I can. They're still paying me so I gotta do what's in my best interest.

Thank you for your opinion on Misamore and his associate Badman ( I considered him since he is younger and less likely to retire on me).

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    You are just a pup then :) Another alternative if you have retorn your previous repair would be a procedure called a superior capsular reconstruction. Badman can do these, sort of doubt Misamore is doing them. It does nothing to address your arthritis (no cartilage), but does provide some reinforcement to your cuff. It involves a graft being placed arthroscopically to take the place of the torn, irreparable tendons (rotator cuff). It is showing excellent promise as an alternative to a reverse for younger folks. I am guessing the surgeon I work with has done more of these than anyone in the state right now. Anyways, let me know if you have any questions.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You betcha! Vivek and I go waaaay back. The US Navy did the first shoulder op. Dr. Frank Johnson Jr. did my second when the labrum was torn but he did zero for the rotor cuff and suprastinitis <- Frickin Richard Cranium of a shoulder doc if you ask me. Dr. Agrawal said he that it was old tears which Johnson should've fixed when he addressed it for my last surgery hence the need for the multiple Juggerknots. Oh yeah, I have very little labrum since it thinned out trying to stabilize the joint.

Sounds like we've got a bit in common. My labrum is gone and between two surgeries there isn't anything in a shoulder which is surgically repairable which hasn't been worked on. Mine is shot and I've got the shoulder of an 80yr old man according to Vivek. Unfortunately I'm only 45 and a replacement isn't in the cards for quite a long time so I'm stuck with the pain and it is ending my career much earlier than I had planned.

Top Bottom