• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    So, I redeemed my rain check at Meijer for my $.79 a pound ground bison and now have 6 pounds of it. I have never cooked with it before and don't really know what to do with it. Anyone cook with it or have any suggestions? I know it is going to be lean, but want to do something with it and that won't totally mask the taste of the meet. TIA.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I just patty it up and pour about half a beer in a skillet, add some mushrooms, a little french onion soup mix, and salt and pepper it. We use it in just about everything, chili, spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, burgers, as long as you add some liquid of some sort, it's just like ground beef.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    As said above, treat it like ground beef. Its usually leaner. I'd say between and 85/15 and a 90/10 ground beef

I like doing burgers with bison. Usually just a little garlic and onion salt alond with fresh cracked pepper.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Treat it like very lean ground beef. If you want to make patties with it, I would either cook them so there is a slight pink center or you could add just a little bit of ground bacon before making patties. Not too much as you want to keep its natural flavor but just enough to give it some fat to prevent it from being as dry as leather. I would say based on the labels I have read on ground bison its probably in the area of 90/10 or leaner. Oh you could always slap a pad of butter on top when they are nearly finished cooking to give it some fatty moisture
    Btw Bison steaks are AWESOME too. But for my taste thos must be medium rare to medium for the best flavor.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I cook it like any ground meat EXCEPT - it's probably going to be very lean (like deer) so I have to add oil if using a skillet. For God's sake use some REAL oils. Extra virgin olive or better yet Coconut oil.

I lived and worked in a desert town with a local diner that had Emu and Buffalo burgers on their menu. Most every lunch break I got one or the other. :drool:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I like to grill Buffalo burgers on my Holland Grill...they are great and everyone loves them. Solid advice up thread...also that's a smokin' deal on ground bison. Enjoy!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Haven't cooked with it but have eaten plenty of Meers Burgers, Meers - Store & Restaurant, in my life to know that there's a thin line between just right and too done. As you approach too done your patties will literally fall apart unless supplemented with ground beef or some other fatty meat.

Gooood eatin'

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How the hell did you get delicious ground bison for only $0.79 per pound??!!!

I'd have bought the whole bison and a new freezer for it.

Anyway, like the others said... never overcook it (past medium) and use low heat.

Delicious!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    How the hell did you get delicious ground bison for only $0.79 per pound??!!!

I'd have bought the whole bison and a new freezer for it.

Anyway, like the others said... never overcook it (past medium) and use low heat.

Delicious!
    Meijer had some that was expiring that day that they had put on sale for $.79 a pound. They were already sold out when I ran across it, but they were kind enough to write me a rain check so I got it once they got a new shipment in.

I am thinking low and slow cooked burgers, taking to about 140°. I have the USDA time temperature chart to see how long it has to be there for pasteurization.

Top Bottom