• ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I just hit town and my throat was dry.

Now now that I got a boy named sue in your head, potentially going to Gatlinburg in September. What to do. Can be thrill seeking or not. Just my wife and I. Obviously knife works is in order. Also the island and probably hillbilly golf. Nothing for sure yet but might have two full days.

Food and and entertainment options. Holston’s Kitchen (I think that was the name) we will be visiting. Been there overnight on the way to ashboro once before four years ago.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Just got back from there. We did Paula Dean's restaurant at the Island for dinner one night. Food and service was excellent. If you want to test your taste buds on some moonshine there are two distilleries that have free tasting. One is Legends on the main highway north of Sevierville and the other is Thunder Road just north of I-40. We also took in Bass Pro just north of I-40. Bud's Gun Shop is a few hundred feet from the knife works. The aquarium in Gatlinburg was very good. Anakeesta is all new since the fire. It is a chair lift to the top of a mountain. They have a Memory Walk about the fire that was interesting and you can see first hand some of the fire damage. If you don't care for the open chair lift, they do have gondolas you can ride inside of. The Hatfield and McCoy Dinner show was a hoot and the food was excellent. All of Dolly Parton's venues are GFZ. The only other place we saw that was posted was the movie theater. Did not see anything at The Island posted. We stayed at the Clarion Inn north of Sevierville. Good rate and excellent facility. When we go back, it will be at a time when school is in session. We are getting too old to want to put up with a bunch of kids being around.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    There is a bbq joint on the main drag, south side of the road that i cannot remember the name of, but the ribs and brisket were the BEST I've ever had. Excellent fare and great service.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome, Cherokee N.C., Blue Ridge Parkway, Mingo Falls near Cherokee. All these are Free! Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley N.C., Dale Walksler's Gem in the Smokies.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Gatlinburg that bad? Asheville that good? The journey, not the destination? Please expand further.

Gatlinburg is great if you want a ton of activity and attractions aimed at tourists.

Asheville is much more relaxed.

Which is more appealing is a matter of individual preference.... the Mrs. and I prefer Asheville.

On occasions where we have had gatherings in Gatlinburg, we generally make it a short stay and spend more time in Asheville.

The drive over on the Blue Ridge Parkway is outstanding with some great views. The Biltmore estate is a fun place to visit. There are plenty of areas to hike along the way and around Asheville (and in Smokey Mountain National Park outside of Gatlinburg). Lake Lure is not too far away from Asheville.... great place to visit.

During one of our "week long meetups" with family, the Mrs. and I spent a little over three days in Asheville and surrounding areas..... It didn't necessarily make the family happy, but we had a great time!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you decide to try the indoor skydiving be sure the wrists straps on your flight suit are working properly. I bear the scars from what happens when they don't, pretty impressive how quickly and badly fabric will burn you when it's flapping at those speeds.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Gatlinburg is great if you want a ton of activity and attractions aimed at tourists.

Which is more appealing is a matter of individual preference.... the Mrs. and I prefer Asheville.

On occasions where we have had gatherings in Gatlinburg, we generally make it a short stay and spend more time in Asheville.

The drive over on the Blue Ridge Parkway is outstanding with some great views. The Biltmore estate is a fun place to visit. There are plenty of areas to hike along the way and around Asheville (and in Smokey Mountain National Park outside of Gatlinburg). Lake Lure is not too far away from Asheville.... great place to visit.

During one of our "week long meetups" with family, the Mrs. and I spent a little over three days in Asheville and surrounding areas..... It didn't necessarily make the family happy, but we had a great time!

Thanks for that info! We tend to visit tourist destinations off-season for that very reason, we'll definitely keep Asheville in mind next time we're in the area!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am

Asheville is not out of the question, my wife and I spent two nights at the Cove (Billy Graham's Training Center) for a retreat. We enjoyed Gatlinburg the short time we were there so that is why we want to go back. If we went back to Asheville, I would have to try to stay at the Cove if we could. Such a beautiful area there.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    For those who enjoy the overall area consider staying in the Boone/Blowing Rock, NC area. The Blue Ridge Parkway runs between both towns. Blowing Rock’s small downtown has a nice village feel while Boone is a small university town with a nice walkable downtown area near the university. All kinds of places to visit along the BRP in the immediate area. Also can make a nice full day trip down to Asheville if one wants and there is more to see along the road just north of Asheville (take highway and interstates to Asheville and work back north on the BRP).

Top Bottom